JHS for October 2008

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
And I get to start the October thread, too? Hmmm.... Someone must've thought I'm reliable or something. :)

Can you believe it's October already? The year is just FLYING by!

I'm going to try month mapping as I understand it from Jenn Hollowell's blog post a couple days ago (yesterday?) and see how it goes. I'll find a link for you later.

Goals for October:
  • Attend Ozark Creative Writers' conference & make some good contacts next week.
  • Query a minimum of $80/day.
  • Blog 3x weekly on Creatif, Confessions of a Fat Chick, and The Idea Pocket.
  • Post daily tips on the Creative Tips on Twitter (feel free to follow that and my main one if you don't already & spread the word if you do and like it :) ).
  • Finish Navajo Rose (so close!!) and polish the first 3 chapters, synopsis, & query letter before the conference.
  • Submit/query a minimum of four novel submissions.
  • Apply to jobs/gigs on Freelance Writing Jobs that interest me.
  • Work on the Confessions of a Fat Chick book and start shopping the proposal.
  • Write new Hub Pages articles (one of my Hubs was listed in Hot Hubs last week!).
  • Add an article a week to the BeadedJen site on PNN.
  • Work on editing Kiernan's Curse (again).
I think that's everything for me. What about you?

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Oh, and on the FWJ note (yep, definitely stalling here)...Earlier I sent a response to an ad on Craigslist and got the fastest rejection on record for that. 10 minutes. lol

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
{ink sneaks in, looking ashamed}

Okay, I was a slug for most of Sept. but I will not repeat it in Oct.! I did have some assignments and whatnot last month, but I was very bad about queries. As penance, I sent out several, plus some follow-ups, today. Last month was kinda messy anyway because I was on vacation for the latter half of Aug. and had a lot of catch-up to do. NO excuses in Oct. (well, except my b-day and the Halloween Horror Nights event out here...but I will NOT use them as excuses).

This month I will:

-Send out at least five queries per week.
-Send out the two book proposals I've been sitting on for much too long.

That should be enough to keep me busy. Thanks for starting the thread, Jen!

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
Hello all. This is my first time participating. I am usually over in goals and accomplishments doing monthly goals and thought it would be a fun change to join you guys.

My goals for October include:

1. Submit 30 new pieces of writing.
I have been very lazy of late and I needed to be specific so that I actually get writing new stuff. And lots of it :D

2. Write a picture book.
This is something new and different for me and I want to give it a whirl. Actually, I should say I used to play around with children's books but it never went anywhere. I want to give it another try. We'll see what comes of it.

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
My new JHS are as follows:
1. Blog/write daily at Notebook News.
2. Blog 3x/week at Sky's Blog
3. Write query for an article about temper tantrums.
4. Draft press release for writer website.
5. Draft article about social networking as therapy.
6. send in picture and bio to examiner.com
7. Keep mapping out plans for writer website.
8. Keep up with plurk and twitter and Wednesday chat.
9. Look for writing jobs daily.
10. Apply to at least two writing jobs a week.

Ten is good, right? Anyway, that's it for me now. :)

Last edited:

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
thanks for the link Jen - and for starting us off in October. :)

I"ll be back later to post my goals.

raven

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Jen, Thanks for starting the thread and Arisa, welcome!! Feel free to join us tonight at our JHS chat, too. You can find us at 9 PM EST in www.theechoofone.com/chat2.html.

On to October... no goals for me this month...probably just staying awake will be my major accomplishment after the baby comes along.

I am kicking off the month with about 8 assignments that *need* to get done, though, which is a very light load for me. This should give me about half my usual monthly income--the rest will come from savings. (So my plan to cut my workload in half has actually worked!)

I'm looking forward, in November, to following up with a few clients who wanted to hire me and also asking one for a raise. I won't be JHS-ing for new clients/opportunities/queries through October.

In addition, I'd like to power forward on promotions for www.future-tarot.com, to try to bring in an extra $100 from the blog, and continue blogging 2 X a week for both of my regular blogging gigs. Those should be pretty easy to manage, esp. if I come up with some ideas over the next few days.

Jen, I'm tired already looking at your list--but I KNOW you can do it!!!

Arisa, 30 pieces!! That's quite a list, too!! Good luck! :) It's great to have you onboard.
Dawn

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Dawn, I honestly didn't realize that list was that long until I wrote it all out. I forgot to put that I plan to do 2 Hub Pages articles a week. I know I put HP articles on there, but I didn't quantify it.

There's also a goal I completely forgot about for September, so that one gets added on too.

One of those goals on the list might get done tonight. Yikes! And two of them will be fully accomplished by next Sunday (Oct. 12).

I need to log off here and get back to Navajo Rose. I'm on the last chapter.

Mysti

Aurora, CO is my new home!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.awritersnook.com
Fantastic goals everyone!! It's great to see new faces here!! *Waves*

I don't really have many goals for October except for:

finishing what I've started​
  • Pictures of Ornaments
  • Stories for Recipes
  • Edit two pieces
  • blog twice a week at least
  • Update websites
  • Map my PNN Newspaper for weekly content

It's been a change being here, as an understatement. I think I'm actually more exhausted now than I was before. I'm not looking for much to do aside from being the most important person in my family's life: Mom!

Speaking of being Mom, Simon is well. I do have a new blog post up - Busy Days that does have a picture and video (though some of you have seen it already!!)

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
It's good to see everyone checking in, and welcome to Arisa!

I'm really pumped now...stopped by a bookstore today, and the Nov. issue of The Writer is out. I finally have my article in hand. Yay!! It was kinda weird as I bought two copies and the cashier said, "Oh, do you have an article in there?" I've bought multiple copies of various publications many before without anyone ever questioning it. I have to admit it did feel good to say, "Yep!"

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
that's awesome that someone recognized you were a published writer! way to go ink!

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Cool beans, Ink!

Mysti, I'll check the blog later today. Still have work to do. *s*

I already have a goals update. lol

• Attend Ozark Creative Writers' conference & make some good contacts next week.
  • Query a minimum of $80/day.
    -Oops! Didn't do this yesterday. After I got over the I-don't-want-it-to-end-itis, I was too focused on finishing Navajo Rose.
  • Blog 3x weekly on Creatif, Confessions of a Fat Chick, and The Idea Pocket.
    -"It's Done" post on Creatif rounds out the week as the third post, but there will likely be at least one more.
  • Post daily tips on the Creative Tips on Twitter (feel free to follow that and my main one if you don't already & spread the word if you do and like it ).
    -Posted about informal meetings with colleagues yesterday and enjoying the seasons today.
  • Finish Navajo Rose (so close!!) and polish the first 3 chapters, synopsis, & query letter before the conference.
    -I finished Navajo Rose around 10:30-10:45 last night.
  • Submit/query a minimum of four novel submissions.
  • Apply to jobs/gigs on Freelance Writing Jobs that interest me.
    -Applied to 2 yesterday. I got the fastest rejection on record for one and a request for writing samples on the other.
  • Work on the Confessions of a Fat Chick book and start shopping the proposal.
  • Write 2 new Hub Pages articles a week (one of my Hubs was listed in Hot Hubs last week!).
  • Add an article a week to the BeadedJen site on PNN.
  • Work on editing Kiernan's Curse (again).
  • Work on workshop proposal for RWA next year. (I forgot about this one for September so it got moved up.)

I'm not going to go through and put all the links back in. lol

It's an odd feeling (for me) to finish a large project draft. I feel kind of lost and don't know what to do with myself. lol. Fortunately, there's more to do to get the submission package in shape for the conference, so I'm not done with it for my time here and I'm not done with it-done with it by any means anyway. *s*

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Awww, those photos of Simon and his brother are so sweet.

Jen, you are off to a flying start!!

We're going to Halloween Horror Nights tonight, but I plan to get a book proposal in the mail before I go. Just a couple changes, then print it out, and then I don't have to feel guilty about goofing off tonight.

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
Too cool Ink. We're proud of you! I think I just bought that issue. I'll look for you. What's your article about?

Welcome Arisa. Jump right in and make yourself at home.

Jen--you're showing off your work ethic. Congrats on all you've got done lately.

Dawn--I don't suppose there's a baby yet, huh?

I got a blog post up--Palintology is the science of digging up the past of a political official in order to learn stuff you don't want to know!

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Ink, CONGRATS! That's huge!!

Amy, I don't think you linked to your blog in your Plurk post about Palintology. :) I thought you were just being clever... I mean, on Plurk, as opposed to prolonged cleverness. ;)

No baby... but a cover story in a health and fitness trade magazine... Does that count for something?

I've been cleaning all day and am kind of at a standstill waiting for hubby to hang some more shelves. Well, okay, not really a standstill...but a good reason to procrastinate!

Dawn

Dawn

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Dawn: Woo hoo!! That is awesome!

Amy: My piece is in one of the front columns. I think the title is "'I can do better than that' became her mantra." I don't really look as awful as the photo!

Palintology...hee hee.

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

I'm off to a slow start with my writing today, but last night I was on a roll. I came up with a bunch of ideas I can actually use. Now to start typing them up :)

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
No baby... but a cover story in a health and fitness trade magazine... Does that count for something?

I'd say that counts! I was checking out your links on Plurk. You've been blazing trails these days.

Going home to check out Ink's story and be inspired by all the talented folks I hang out with (that means you guys).

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
congrats Ink! I haven't got my copy yet but will look for the article when it shows up.

I've been sitting staring at the screen for at least 5 mnutes trying to come up with some goals for the month. I need some motivation.... I'm running on empty.

- Send out five queries a week
- Finish Soulmates
- write one essay a week (and no Amy, I haven't worked anymore on my Etta/Simon piece. I've been slacking)

raven

Last edited:

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Thanks, guys. :)

Raven, a little suggestion?

Get rid of the last goal place-holder with question marks. When you're having problems with motivation, you don't need added stress of the "What else do I do??" variety.

I made changes to my synopsis today. It needed tweaks and additions for new storyline stuff, but it didn't need a complete overhaul like I thought it would. The first three chapters are still in pretty good shape. I entered them in a contest back in February and honestly haven't done much, if anything, to that part of the book.

I've mapped out some Hub Pages articles and blog posts. I signed up on oDesk, took and passed their Readiness and English sentence structure tests, and applied for a job. There's still another test required for the area I'm going for, but I'm going to do that tomorrow (I think) because I gave myself quite a headache from my late-night writing session (it's hard for me to go to sleep after writing late at night - if I'd stayed up another hour, it probably would've been OK), so I took some Ibuprofen and laid down for a nap around 3:00. :) (Headache's still there, but much better.)

I met and significantly overshot my $80/day goal with three queries. :)

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! You gals are all on the money with your goals!
Cat - I cracked up at your article on Babies Online! Roflamo!
Mysti - way to go on the goals. I haven't mapped out my pnn site because I really don't know what theme or topic I should use.
Jen - You are the Queen of the world for finishing Navajo Rose!
Amy - I'd love to read you essay. Where's the link?
Ink - way to go on the article and book proposal. Have fun on your halloween adventure.

As for me, I want to write a letter to the editor/pitch in response to an article I read about autism. It was an article that I found to be misleading to parents and could cause alot of confusion. As a therapist, I can't let it go. As a parent, I think it's a terrifying thing to have something explained incorrectly that would scare you.
I also thought of an idea for an article about the therapeutic nature of social networking. I'm going to put a post on my wordpress site and finally write out that press release. I've been doing research on press releases so now I have a good idea of what my press release will look like. :) Busy busy busy.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Jen - You are the Queen of the world for finishing Navajo Rose!

Aw, shucks. :eek::thankyou:

Thanks.

I almost have my submission package for next week done. I should get that finished up tomorrow.

As for me, I want to write a letter to the editor/pitch in response to an article I read about autism. It was an article that I found to be misleading to parents and could cause alot of confusion. As a therapist, I can't let it go. As a parent, I think it's a terrifying thing to have something explained incorrectly that would scare you.

Three words.

Go for it.

As a mom, you're in a good position to write it. As a therapist, you're in an excellent position to write it.

Last edited: