PDA

View Full Version : Make-up

Fraulein
10-01-2008, 08:02 PM
As I was walking around the store today, I couldn't help but notice how "young" I looked. I thought it was strange, because I felt like I looked like a teenager again. Perhaps the biggest distinction between today and other days is that I wasn't wearing make-up, at all.

So my question for all of you is: Does make-up add age or take away age? In other words, does make-up make women look older or younger than they really are?
Perhaps there's a sigmoidal curve that might relate age to make-up wearing???
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:23R3WfY6krvJrM:http://chsfpc5.chem.ncsu.edu/%7Efranzen/CH431/lecture/lec_21_applications_files/image012.jpg
(age would be the bottom measure and decreased appearance of age associated with the amount of make-up worn would be the side measure; as age increases past a certain point, increased use of make-up will decrease the appearance of age)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Just my personal opinion as an ol' bat, but I think it depends on the type of make-up, the application of same, and the appropriate make-up for the age of the person wearing it.

I figure when I reach the age where I'm applying it with a trowel from the tool department of Lowe's, it's time to re-evaluate the purpose for which I'm wearing make-up. If it's making me look 'better', fine. If it's making me look like a bad imitation of Baby Jane... ::shudder::.

http://www.horrorstew.com/images/BabyJane004.jpg

stormie
10-01-2008, 09:06 PM
^^Scary!^^

For any age--esp. as a woman gets older-- a light touch of makeup. Foundation only if the skin tone needs to be evened out (the new mineral ones that aren't like heavy pancake makeup). Heavy foundation or powder on older women gets stuck in the wrinkles. A light hand with the lipstick, curl the eyelashes (opens up the eyes), one swipe of the mascara brush (and follow immediately with an eyelash comb to get the globs out). And that's it. If you want to use eyeliner, use it only on the outer corner, and close to the eye. Otherwise I've seen too many people look like racoons by the end of the day. And blush doesn't seem to look good on older women, esp.if they don't use the right shade for their skin or don't apply it right. Of course, at any age, if blush isn't the right shade or applied right, it doesn't work either.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-01-2008, 09:12 PM
I've tried both the manual and the battery operated (heat up) curlers... they suck. Those lashes are straight again before I can get outta the door. :(

Mela
10-01-2008, 09:23 PM
^^Scary!^^

And blush doesn't seem to look good on older women, esp.if they don't use the right shade for their skin or don't apply it right. Of course, at any age, if blush isn't the right shade or applied right, it doesn't work either.

I agree with the blush. I haven't used blush in years - and I wear no eye makeup - occasionally a little pencil on the brows. I personally think eye makeup causes wrinkles around the eyes, but that could just be me.

I do, however, wear a cool (toned) lipstick, something in the red/pink family, that complements my hair and skin tone.

Without makeup, I look tired. That said, I rarely wear makeup on the weekends, unless it's a special occasion.

DeleyanLee
10-01-2008, 09:33 PM
I've never worn make-up in my life (unless you count Chapstick). I never learned how to apply it and have zero interest in learning.

I've seen make-up make a girl look like a woman, a woman look like a girl, females look like streetwalkers or angels and pretty much everything in between. It really all depends on how well she understands her own coloring, etc and how skilled she is at application and achieving whatever effect she wants.

And I've seen women who don't or weren't wearing any make-up look on-par with my 22 year old daughter, but I think that's usually because they have an inner glow that is far more attractive and youthful than anything physical.

Pagey's_Girl
10-01-2008, 09:38 PM
I usually just wear eyeliner and a touch of brown shadow, and a little dusting of powder because my skin is still kind of oily. Takes me about thirty seconds to do. I'm bigger on skin care than makeup.

And yeah, if I do the full-bore foundation-blush-lipstick-powder-eye routine, I look like I'm ready for my closeup - Nora Desmond style.

ETA - or is it Norma Desmond? Either way, it ain't pruty, as they say.

regdog
10-01-2008, 10:35 PM
My sister has been in the makeup business for twenty years and has her own place now. I have to say she had a woman come in who had wrinkles around her mouth from smoking. She also said she didn't know what to do to hide the wrinkles.

My sister used a spray on base makeup on the woman by the time she was done with the full makeover the woman looked twenty years younger. She bought everything my sister used on her on the spot.

Done right makeup should make a woman look young vibrant and alive, done wrong she'll either look like that baby Jane pic or a hooker.

DL Hegel
10-01-2008, 10:40 PM
As I was walking around the store today, I couldn't help but notice how "young" I looked. I thought it was strange, because I felt like I looked like a teenager again. Perhaps the biggest distinction between today and other days is that I wasn't wearing make-up, at all.

So my question for all of you is: Does make-up add age or take away age? In other words, does make-up make women look older or younger than they really are?
Perhaps there's a sigmoidal curve that might relate age to make-up wearing???
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:23R3WfY6krvJrM:http://chsfpc5.chem.ncsu.edu/%7Efranzen/CH431/lecture/lec_21_applications_files/image012.jpg
(age would be the bottom measure and decreased appearance of age associated with the amount of make-up worn would be the side measure; as age increases past a certain point, increased use of make-up will decrease the appearance of age)
Our faces change from day to day---even the shape can change a little--I think it depends on the day. I wear make-up on days I feel I need it--or if there are goin' be pics. But the older you get the less you should wear--because the skin changes alot.

Sophia
10-01-2008, 10:51 PM
For me, make-up does make any female seem older, but it's purely a psychological thing. In my mind, wearing make-up is something that only adults do. As a child, you don't have any need to wear it (costumes and 'dressing up' etc. aside). So I think of it as a mark of maturity, of entering the adult world and all the responsibilities and obligations that entails.

That doesn't say good things about me, though - I'm definitely an adult, but I've never worn make-up and wouldn't have a clue how to. Sometimes I think I'd like one of those professional make-overs where they make you look stunning but still natural, but it feels like that is something for other people, more 'normal' women!

Storm Dream
10-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Apparently I look about 12 when I don't wear makeup. I love playing with eye shadow, but rarely get the opportunity to do it these days. Hence everyone in the office calling me "kiddo."

:P

CaroGirl
10-01-2008, 11:16 PM
If I could look 12 without makeup, I'd never wear it. Makeup should even skin tone and enhance positive features. It's better to try to bring out something lovely than try to hide a big flaw.

I wear makeup pretty much every day. Not much, though, just foundation, eyeliner and lipstick. I can't do mascara. Just don't have the knack.

stormie
10-01-2008, 11:19 PM
Makeup should even skin tone and enhance positive features. It's better to try to bring out something lovely than try to hide a big flaw.

Yep.

Shadow_Ferret
10-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Hmm. I'll have to double-check when I get into my makeup again and see if I look older or not.

I know this sundress makes me look fat.

What?

vixey
10-02-2008, 12:40 AM
*laughs at Ferret*

After reading this thread, I hope some men (including Ferrets) chime in with their opinions.

I hate to wear make up, but I hate what's happening to my skin color more as I age, mature, ripen, ferment embrace life's journey. :tongue So, lately I opt for a nice tinted moisterizer and lipstick. I add all the other stuff for going out. I think the younger set with clear skin and bright eyes should add nothing more than a smile to their face and I tell my daughters this. (I have one who rarely wears make up and one who's weaned herself from it.)

So, what is it, gentlemen? What do you prefer?

sheadakota
10-02-2008, 12:52 AM
Hmm. I'll have to double-check when I get into my makeup again and see if I look older or not.

I know this sundress makes me look fat.

What?
I was going to say something about the dress, Ed, But I didn't want to hurt your feelings.

Kitrianna
10-02-2008, 12:53 AM
Why bother with the stuff? That's my opinion. I never look at a person's face when i try to guess their age. I look at their hands. Your hands get thinner as you get older and nothing can make them look younger. Besides, Kthrok doesn't care much for makeup and I refuse to pile on three pounds of foundation in a vain attempt to hide my freckles. If you see them, please don't call them cute though...I'll have to kill you for that. :D

Shadow_Ferret
10-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Aw, your freckles are so cu...

um...

I'm the kind of guy who really likes the naked natural look on a woman. Minimal make-up or none at all.

Kitrianna
10-02-2008, 01:00 AM
You like pushing your luck with me, don't you SF? ;)

Shadow_Ferret
10-02-2008, 01:05 AM
I have a death wish, yes.

Kitrianna
10-02-2008, 01:06 AM
I've notcied :D

Fraulein
10-02-2008, 02:02 AM
Wow! I'm really impressed with how this thread has turned out thus far. All of your responses are welcoming for everyone- young and old. :e2file:

If I were to guess, then I would say that the majority of the posters on this forum would agree that 'less is more', which I think is wonderful when you consider the amount of cosmetic advertising that goes on. :)

rhymegirl
10-02-2008, 02:05 AM
Done right makeup should make a woman look young vibrant and alive, done wrong she'll either look like that baby Jane pic or a hooker.

I agree with this. Make-up application is an art.

Susie
10-02-2008, 02:55 AM
Just my personal opinion as an ol' bat, but I think it depends on the type of make-up, the application of same, and the appropriate make-up for the age of the person wearing it.

I figure when I reach the age where I'm applying it with a trowel from the tool department of Lowe's, it's time to re-evaluate the purpose for which I'm wearing make-up. If it's making me look 'better', fine. If it's making me look like a bad imitation of Baby Jane... ::shudder::.

http://www.horrorstew.com/images/BabyJane004.jpg

It's not that her make-up was too dark, it was that her face was too light! :D *shudders*

Smiling Ted
10-02-2008, 03:13 AM
Speaking as a straight guy (last time I checked, anyway) if I notice someone's make-up, then it's already failed.

And heavy make-up, no matter how well applied, always says "insecure" or "high maintenance" to me.

rhymegirl
10-02-2008, 03:56 AM
Speaking as a straight guy (last time I checked, anyway) if I notice someone's make-up, then it's already failed.

But isn't your avatar wearing eye liner?

Kate Thornton
10-02-2008, 04:04 AM
I wear light make up - I always have (as an adult, that is)

I sometimes go out without makeup on, and am simply invisible. It's amazing how the deft application of the right stuff can make a great difference. One of the challenges when I had the stroke was learning to apply eye makeup with the "wrong" hand.

Just like a bad or inappropriate hairstyle can make you look weird, make up can do the same. This is a good thing - it means that a good makeover really can improve your looks.

When I was in the Army I always wore light makeup and made sure my hands and feet were well-cared for.

I never had any complaints - I hope everyone thought that lovely skin really was mine. Now I know I need that touch of lip gloss and mascara so I don't look dead, but I really don't like that really overdone look (think Ugly Betty's sister) I sometimes see - even on young girls it looks pathetic, and on women my age it looks desperate.

stormie
10-02-2008, 04:08 AM
Your hands get thinner as you get older and nothing can make them look younger.
My sister once said that the first thing to go is the elbows. Then the knees. Then the hands. Then the neck. Or was it the neck first, then the knees....

Ken
10-02-2008, 04:45 AM
makeup is always a major concern for me when I fix myself up like a court jester each day. And if I mess up there's always the fear that the King and Queen may send me to the gallows -- or block.

stormie
10-02-2008, 04:49 AM
Well if you're sent to the gallows, your head will be covered and no one would know why the royalty sent you there in the first place. Now, if you were sent to the block, where heads roll (or drop into a bucket) everyone would see why you were sent there.

Okay, time for me to call it a day. I'm discussing makeup on a court jester who might be condemned to death for his/her lack of knowing how to apply make-up. :roll:

Ken
10-02-2008, 04:55 AM
think it's time for me to go to bed, too -- with the lights on.

Nite :-)

Yeshanu
10-02-2008, 05:10 AM
I've never worn make-up, nor have I ever coloured my hair. When people see me in person, they routinely think I'm ten or fifteen years younger than I really am. I've even been asked if I'm my daughter's sister once. :tongue

I think that the more chemicals you put on your skin and in your hair, the faster they age. The women who look the oldest to me always seem to be those who spend hours trying to pretend they're young.

CaroGirl
10-02-2008, 05:24 AM
I've never worn make-up, nor have I ever coloured my hair. When people see me in person, they routinely think I'm ten or fifteen years younger than I really am. I've even been asked if I'm my daughter's sister once. :tongue

I think that the more chemicals you put on your skin and in your hair, the faster they age. The women who look the oldest to me always seem to be those who spend hours trying to pretend they're young.
I recently stopped colouring my hair and everyone I haven't seen in a while (and I mean everyone) says they love my new colour. Go figure.

Yeshanu
10-02-2008, 05:52 AM
I recently stopped colouring my hair and everyone I haven't seen in a while (and I mean everyone) says they love my new colour. Go figure.

:ROFL:

Isn't that the way of it, Caro?

I was at work the other day when one of the off-duty employees came up to me and said, "Ruth, can I colour your hair? Blue, to match your eyes."

Um, no thanks. The most I'd consider at this point is having the white hairs coloured to match the brown ones.

CaroGirl
10-02-2008, 05:57 AM
I was at work the other day when one of the off-duty employees came up to me and said, "Ruth, can I colour your hair? Blue, to match your eyes."
You're kidding. I'd have murdered him. :)

vixey
10-02-2008, 06:52 AM
I colored my hair for 9 years. I grew tired of the 2 hour hair appointment and the expense. After my 20th college reunion, I stopped. I now face my 25th college reunion (June 2009) looking quite a bit different. I have dark hair, almost black, with a silver overlay. It's quite stunning actually. And my hair is thick and my skin is (at 46) virtually wrinkle free. I love my hair! (It's the enhanced body shape I'd like to change.)

Jersey Chick
10-02-2008, 07:17 AM
I wear about half as much makeup as I used to, because I'm too damn lazy. Eyeliner (I'll have to try outer corner - I'm the raccoon you probably see :D), neutral colored shadow, mascara on occasion. I used tinte moisturizer instead of foundation.

That's it. Makeup takes me maybe 5 minutes in the morning...

I tried coloring my hair once, about 5 years ago when I found the first white hair (yep - skipped gray, when right to white). I used the one that washes out in about 3 weeks. My natural shade is blonde - a dark gold blonde - and I thought it'd be cool to try something different, so I picked this great auburn.

Long story short, the dye took in the front, but not the back. And it didn't even look like punk cool - it looked like an idiot tried to change her hair from blonde to auburn. I called the 800 number, washed my hair wish dish detergent (took forever to get that hay feeling out of it), and that was the end of coloring my hair myself. As soon as I decide on a shade, I'm going to someone who knows what the hell s/he's doing. :D

DamaNegra
10-02-2008, 07:22 AM
I don't wear makeup, and I can't understand girls my age who apply lots of makeup just to go to school. Once, I let a classmate put makeup on me, the whole thing: pre-foundation, foundation, eyeliner, eye shadow, mascara, lipstick... I even let her pluck my eyebrows (the only time in my life they've been plucked). When she was finished, my own father didn't recognize me (yes, he thought I was a friend of mine. My mom had to tell him "it's your daughter!" before he recognized me).

I didn't feel pretty, even though everyone told me I looked gorgeous. I felt... like a clown, actually. The most I'll do for the most special occasions is eyeliner.

jgold
10-02-2008, 07:42 AM
Eye liner, eye shadow pencil, eyebrow pencil, and occasionally lipstick. I use browns instead of blacks to avoid the raccoon thing. It looks completely natural and it makes a huge difference. Plus, I can do everything at the stoplights while I'm on my way to work.

But, I feel compelled to add that taming your eyebrows is even more important. They frame your face, and having them nicely shaped and symmetrical makes a huge difference. Of course, I'm one of those weird people who notices them on everyone...

Yeshanu
10-02-2008, 10:30 AM
You're kidding. I'd have murdered him. :)

Her. But there were a couple of other employees, and they offered suggestions after I nixed the blue. Bubblegum pink, green and purple were suggested. Red won't work unless I bleach my hair first, because it's such a dark brown. (My son tried it, so I know that for sure.)

I'll stick with brown, thanks, with maybe some blonde highlights at some point.

Cassiopeia
10-02-2008, 11:16 AM
I wear as little make up as possible. It bugs my skin. I wear a cheap lightweight foundation when I am going some where important otherwise, forget it. I wear a light eyeliner barely seen. Mascara and rarely lipstick. I hate and I mean I HATE blush. It makes my cheeks look oddly huge since I have prominent cheek bones anyway. I do wear a light natural eye shadow when I'm dressing up.

I have been told I don't need to wear make up but when I do, man the guys stare. :D I think my old bf didn't like them looking. ;)

Cassiopeia
10-02-2008, 11:18 AM
OH and yes, I will colour my hair till the day I die thank you very much. I don't think grey hair flatters ANYONE!

ErylRavenwell
10-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Pink lipstick is all a woman needs...so kissable...Must remember not to stare at lips or cleavage...the eye only.

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1433944/2/istockphoto_1433944_bite_your_pink_lips.jpg

Smiling Ted
10-02-2008, 05:33 PM
But isn't your avatar wearing eye liner?

No, he's just got crazy eyes.
Go, go, Gomez!

CaroGirl
10-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Pink lipstick is all a woman needs...so kissable...Must remember not to stare at lips or cleavage...the eye only.

Never stare at cleavage, but women don't mind if you stare at our lips. It makes it seem as if you care what we're saying.

rhymegirl
10-02-2008, 07:21 PM
No, he's just got crazy eyes.
Go, go, Gomez!

Uh, no. He's got crazy eyes AND eye makeup.

stormie
10-02-2008, 10:26 PM
This is probably more of a not-thinking-at-all-mother story, but there was a seven-year-old girl who was chosen to do a reading at her First Holy Communion up at the altar of the church. Her mother had her wear make-up. Heavy make-up. Tons of mascara, eyeliner, eye shadow, ruby red lipstick (the matte kind), and blush. The mother then had a head and shoulder portrait done of her little girl and handed them out to everyone. I tore it up; the poor kid looked like a streetwalker in a white puff-sleeved communion dress. So sad.

ErylRavenwell
10-03-2008, 05:59 AM
Never stare at cleavage, but women don't mind if you stare at our lips. It makes it seem as if you care what we're saying.

Good to know. :)

Carole
10-03-2008, 06:09 AM
I wear almost no makeup, and I get comments that I don't look 40. When I try to "dress up" with more makeup, I invariably look older than I am.

Siddow
10-03-2008, 06:24 AM
I color my hair because if I didn't, I'd be sporting 80% gray at age 38. Um, no.

I keep my makeup simple...foundation because I have that lower-cheek blush that looks weird, light eye makeup because my eyes are smashing but disappear without definition, but I hate, hate, HATE lipstick. I don't care how it enhances me. It feels like I have leftover KFC (not KTC) on my face.