So, I'm out of a job. :(

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it but have confidence in yourself.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
What do you do for a living, Jimmy? I know people, who know people ;)

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
What do you do for a living, Jimmy? I know people, who know people ;)
Well, that's much of the problem - I don't even know anymore. I have a computing degree, but I've not really used it since I graduated. I went travelling, then got a job in IT support, then a database administrator job and now I've spent a year in sales for Dell.
I'd like to do some coding, but it's been so long since I've done any seriously (and even then, at uni, I spent more time drinking than I did coding).

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Well, that's much of the problem - I don't even know anymore. I have a computing degree, but I've not really used it since I graduated. I went travelling, then got a job in IT support, then a database administrator job and now I've spent a year in sales for Dell.
I'd like to do some coding, but it's been so long since I've done any seriously (and even then, at uni, I spent more time drinking than I did coding).

You sound like management material to me. ;)

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
It's tourist season somewhere in the world. Find out where, go there and get a job for the season. Quick - before Stew turns you into management material.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I'd follow Nerds' example and hit the road, but I'd soon run out in Ireland - it's only a wee country.
Okay, not to encourage you to go homeless, but there is this great book about traveling around Ireland. You must read it!

Round Ireland with a Fridge

Your man has to carry this fridge with him every where he goes while traveling the Irish country side, because of a bet. It's hilarious, but also endearing because you see the real personality of Ireland coming through with all of the offers to help schlep this fridge from one town to another. Classic stuff.

As to the job scene... I have a few friends in IT in Dublin, one works for Perlico and another does freelance stuff. Let me know if you're getting ready to embark on an adventure with a household appliance and I can try to pull some thin strings. :)

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Much good luck, Jimmy. Sure hope it works out well for you. Wish I had some good advice for ya!

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
It finally happened, my 'temp' job has come to an end after a year. And I still have no clue what to do next. Still have zero confidence in my own abilities.
I'd follow Nerds' example and hit the road, but I'd soon run out in Ireland - it's only a wee country.
Sorry to hear you're out of job. I wish you luck with finding something.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Since it appears you haven't really used your abilities, at least what you went to school for, I'm not clear on why exactly you've lost confidence in those abilities.

Why not get some new abilities? Maybe the problem is you've changed since you graduated college and IT really isn't your thing anymore, but you've stuck with it because it's what has kept you employed.

Sounds like a major self-reassessment is needed.
I wish you luck
You still hold the cards. You just have to remember where you put them.

qwerty

exiled Brit
Registered
Reaction score
Hugs, Jimmy.

Do something daft, like put "cruise ships employment agencies" into google. Sure and there's limited road travel in Ireland, but this could be the time for you to serve Guiness on the high seas for your keep.

Good luck and may the Little People guide you.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
All things considered, Jimmy, you are at the perfect place and time in your life to have a pint or two, while pondering the answer to one simple question.

What do you WANT to do? Solve that one, and we'll work on it from there, mate.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Hook up with an temp agency if you haven't already. My hubby went through three before settling on Robert Half, and after several temp positions, one of them offered him full time. There were dry spells in between gigs, but it worked out in the end, thank goodness!

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
I've been trying to figure out what I want to do for *years* now. No luck so far.

When I was in uni, I was intending to go into the RAF as a pilot. Did the selection, found I'd make an excellent pilot, but a shit officer. Problem is, I'd not directed my degree at all, just picking random courses that looked interesting. So after I finished, and decided I didn't want to drop bombs on people at the behest of politicians anyway, I had no obvious direction to take. Since then I've pretty much drifted randomly, and now I don't know where I am.

Last edited: