• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for a little advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

NikkoLee

Hello,
Like many people I'm a writer wannabe. I have loved writing stories and even telling them since I was little. Through elementary school I wrote mostly to express my worries about my future or to dream about what could be. I was encouraged by my teachers, as it seemed the only thing I really had a passion for and because it was great practice for my poor English skills. I forgot about story writing while I made my way through university then rediscovered it through an online rolepalying game.

For the last two years I've typed many stories and put the stories I've played out in my mind into type. I've always wanted to get my fictional work published but am utterly clueless on how to do it. I write mostly in a horror genre as it entertains those I roleplay with (the roleplaying game is vampire related) but am not shy about doing other genre or styles. These horror stories range from the scary turn of events involving unholy forces to mysteries and explorations of secret societies and my character's place in them. I also write general fiction that is usually adventure/mystery oriented with a few relationship dilemas thrown in. I like writing romances but find without a story going around it they are just boring so my aim is to great a story that the romance is apart of. I have a fondness for erotica and have written many soft to hard core tales.

I have fans who follow my work through a yahoo board (linked in my profile) and have been told my work is not only readable but enjoyable yet I am still unsure about its quality. Most of my writings are in the unedited stage and I know I need to be more disciplined about proofreading (beyond the grammar/spell-check level).

I guess I'm looking to see if more than just the small audience that currently reads my works would like to read them and if there is a way of getting them published or atleast out there as I work to improve my style and techniques.

When I was 14 our English class project was to write out a life plan for ourselves and one of my things-to-do was get a book published. I'd like to work seriously on that goal and need a little help.

*sorry for being long winded :p

aboyd

Sandwich Maker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.outshine.com
My advice would be to get out there and read a million horror magazines. I can think of 3 ways to find them. First, buy Writer's Market, and find all the magazines listed for the horror genre. Second, you could use my Publisher Database site to search for magazines, but to be honest my site is very new and the database is still too small to be much use. Maybe in 3 or 4 months it'll be useful. The third way is to simply go to Google and type in "writers guidelines horror" (sans quotes). That will likely bring up a handful of horror magazines -- it's imperfect, but it's free and fast.

Personally, when I get into something I like to do a lot of research and find the best of the best (when I decided to post on boards for writers, I found about 20, and whittled it down to Absolute Write and 1 other). I'd say for horror writing, I'd visit 25+ sites, pick 10 that are good & read 1 or 2 issues from each of them, and then I'd send my work to the 2 or 3 that are the best.

Anaparenna

Just Another Exquisite Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.conjurewords.com
NikkoLee,

It seems to me that you are doing quite a few things right so far, and already have a plan in place for what needs to be done. You've developed a group of readers who enjoy what you write -- that's great, since they may become your fanbase when you get published. You know that you need to go back and become more serious about revision and editing -- also great, as that's one of the toughest disciplines for a writer to acquire. (It's not always as interesting as letting the stories pour out, IMO.)

Along with Aboyd's suggestion of reading extensively in the genre (to see what's selling, and where), I can think of a few others. 1) If you are interested in being published, I suggest you join a critique group to get real feedback on the elements of your stories (as opposed to the fandom of your present readers). I'd suggest the OWW or Critters. (I don't know if Critters caters to horror writers, but I think they do.) They both have different ways of going about the critiquing process, so you may want to see which one works best for you. 2) Get familiar with Ralan's Market Listings, which includes horror markets, SFF, and erotica-oriented markets within those genres. 3) Seek out the blogs and websites of authors you enjoy, and immerse yourself in the community. Since you didn't mention any influences, I can't offer specifics, but if you did want to mention a few, I can probably guide you to some blogs and etc you might enjoy.

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.