PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever noticed...

Chachant
10-01-2008, 11:20 AM
This is probably a horrible third post, because anyone who reads this is going to think I'm the idiot new guy - but, I digress...

Has anyone ever noticed the lack of a blue skittle in the original Skittles? It DOES say "Taste the Rainbow" on the package, but you can't taste the rainbow without a blue skittle! I mean, think about it -- if you took blue out of the rainbow, it wouldn't look right. Well, Skittles can't just go around saying taste the rainbow and then not include a part of the rainbow!

I must admit that the only reason I've thought about this so much is the fact that I lost a bet to a buddy that blue wasn't in the rainbow. (If you didn't think I was stupid before this paragraph, you will now. I assure you.) In my defense, it was late at night and I hadn't seen a rainbow in a while, AND I was eating skittles and upon reading the phrase "Taste the rainbow" and coming to the conclusion that there was no blue skittle, I began doubting there was blue in the rainbow.

Anyhow, has anyone noticed this? Anyone at all? Even one person? :D

Mac H.
10-01-2008, 11:34 AM
A few candy manufacturers have withdrawn blue simply so they can repackage their products as being 'natural' .. because people somehow think that sugar coated corn syrup is healthy if it is 'natural'.

There are natural blue dyes, but they were too expensive for their products. (Some have started using a seaweed extract last year, so maybe Skittles will re-introduce blue soon)

I'm assuming, of course, the Skittles used to have blue but have stopped it. That was what happend with 'Smarties'.

Mac

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-01-2008, 02:47 PM
It never ceases to amaze me the range of information both sought in and provided by the members of this forum. :D

Pagey's_Girl
10-01-2008, 04:06 PM
It never ceases to amaze me the range of information both sought in and provided by the members of this forum. :D

That's because we're writers. We actually think about stuff. Inquiring minds want to know. ;)

regdog
10-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Funny but I hate blue candy especially blue M&Ms. They just look wroong sitting in a bowl with the other colored M&M's.

Mr Flibble
10-01-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm assuming, of course, the Skittles used to have blue but have stopped it. That was what happend with 'Smarties'.

Blue smarties are back baby!

Maryn
10-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Chachant, are you The Kid (my adult daughter) in a clever disguise? She was talking about the lack of blue Skittles last night.

Maryn, who's going to feel so smart telling her why

CaroGirl
10-01-2008, 04:51 PM
Don't you use the old mnemonic? ROYGBIV? There's a B in there all right.

In high school, my husband sent a letter to the Smarties manufacturers and asked why there were no blue Smarties. Only a year or two later, they started making the blue ones. He still has a framed copy of the letter. Let me know if you'd like me to pass along your thanks to him for the Blue Smarties.

Chachant
10-01-2008, 07:17 PM
Chachant, are you The Kid (my adult daughter) in a clever disguise? She was talking about the lack of blue Skittles last night.

Maryn, who's going to feel so smart telling her why

Hah! Did she by chance happen to think that blue wasn't in the rainbow too? If so, cue the twilight zone music.

Hopefully the return of the blue Smartie is a just the beginning - let there be blue I say!