Author(s) you most admire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't necessarily mean that your admiration comes from the prose or writing technique of your chosen author (though obviously, not excluding it! Let's say "in additional to.") But perhaps you admire his/her attitude, eloquence, or method of working... or what have you. :)

Who's your writer?

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I have several.

Robert Louis Stevenson -- Author of Treasure Island. I read this book a long time ago, and back then I admired his writing so much I tried to emulate how he constructed his works.

A.E. van Vogt -- Author of Slan, The World of Null A, and co-author of Slan Hunter. I read all these books, and I simply love reading his action-packed way of doing things. One of his contemporaries referred to his style as "One-Damn-Thing-After-Another," and it's that style that keeps me turning the pages of his books.

J. Michael Straczynski -- Creator of Babylon 5, one of my all-time favorite SF television programs. His sense of reality, of incorporating ordinary, every-day people into a futuristic world of alien technologies -- characters I can identify with -- has made at least B5 (I can't speak for any of his other stuff; I've not seen or read it) one of the most realistic series I've ever watched ... and one of the most interesting.

Jane Yolen -- Author of Dragon's Blood, Heart's Blood, and A Sending Of Dragons. This author's vivid portrayal of an arid world called Austar IV, and its rough-and-tumble society, combined with loads of surprises and plot twists, was really one of the main reasons I started getting into works that incorporated dragons. In fact, one of the scenes in Dragon's Blood gave rise to my first short story dealing with a character in my old PA novel, and the world in which he lived, lives on in my mind, constantly vying for attention in my quickly-rejuvenating imagination.

Anne McCaffrey -- Author of The Dragonriders of Pern series, and The Harper Hall of Pern series. These early books of the planet Pern, along with some of her older short stories, have inspired me immensely in my own writing. Like Stevenson, van Vogt, Straczynski, and Yolen, Anne McCaffrey shaped a lot of how I viewed story-telling and how it should be done. Having read her Pern books up to Dragonsdawn, I have found a bright world filled with believable characters and, though there was a presence of an all-powerful evil (the Red Star, and the resulting Thread that constantly threatened their society) there was really no sense of Good Versus Evil among the characters. This impresses me, even to this day. I've always valued interesting and/or realistic characters, and hers are most certainly both.

So these are the several authors I really admire more than just about any others. I'm sure, if I gave more thought to the subject, I could probably come up with a couple -- if not a few -- more that are worthy, in my own opinion, of mention here. But for right now, the five I've already listed are plenty.

:)

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Virginia Woolf :D of course. How could I NOT admire her eloquence? Course I don't envy her mental problems. But her writing is absolutely beautiful and profound, and I can only dream of reaching such heights.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Louis L'Amour.

Because he had between 350 to 400 rejections before he sold ONE THING.

And he kept on writing and submitting and now everyone knows his name and his books.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
I'll ditto Virginia Woolf. I don't approve of how she wrote the last chapter, but I admire many other aspects of her life and writing.

Oh, and Ursula K. LeGuin. I admire her both as a writer and as a person. Her article in Harper's a few months back was great.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
See I'm going to make everyone roll their eyes now, but hear me out.

JK Rowling.

Now I am not saying she is the best author in the world, when it comes to writing styles Douglas Adams is my patron saint, I worship at his feet.

But I admire so completely how JK Rowling has handled herself in the subsequent years of Harry madness. The way she has handled herself in the media, the way she is able to keep her family sane and normal. The way she speaks in the few interviews she gives. And especially the way she interacts with her fans. Truly admirable. If there was ever an author to emulate (should any of us be one tenth that successful), it's her.

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Miriam Toews. I admire the quirky humour in her highly eloquent prose and I admire the quiet life she lives while still finding time to connect with readers in person. She gives time to writing organizations, through speeches and workshops, not just to promote herself, but to help fellow writers, especially new and aspiring writers. I want to be Miriam Toews.

Last edited:

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Miriam Toewes. I admire the quirky humour in her highly eloquent prose and I admire the quiet life she lives while still finding time to connect with readers in person. She gives time to writing organizations, through speeches and workshops, not just to promote herself, but to help fellow writers, especially new and aspiring writers. I want to be Miriam Toewes.

*cough*Toews*cough*

:)

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
See I'm going to make everyone role their eyes now, but hear me out.

JK Rowling.

But I admire so completely how JK Rowling has handled herself in the subsequent years of Harry madness. The way she has handled herself in the media, the way she is able to keep her family sane and normal. The way she speaks in the few interviews she gives. And especially the way she interacts with her fans. Truly admirable. If there was ever an author to emulate (should any of us be one tenth that successful), it's her.

*eyeballs settle back in head* ;)

A very good point about JKR, Toothpaste, and definitely worth mentioning here.

As for authors I admire -

Sue Monk Kidd who's not afraid to put her faith out there. And she's not afraid to push the edge in spite of her faith. She's very comfortable with what she writes and with who she is.

Anita Shreve whose writing style I aspire to emulate, but I've learned it's not my voice. Still, I love her lyrical prose.

Thomas Hardy because his were the first books I couldn't put down and discovered it was worth while to seek out every book an author has written.

Daphne du Maurier because life isn't about happy endings and she made paranormal seem plausible (The House on the Strand).

Diana Gabaldon for transporting me to 18th century Scotland (and kilts!).

Oohh - I'll have to keep thinking about this . . .

willietheshakes

Registered
Reaction score
What?

thanks

Nothin' - must have been my imagination.

FTR, I do like Miriam Toews, as both a writer and a person, but I had some problems with the new book... Sadly, it was one of those cases where I ended up having those problems in public.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Nothin' - must have been my imagination.

FTR, I do like Miriam Toews, as both a writer and a person, but I had some problems with the new book... Sadly, it was one of those cases where I ended up having those problems in public.
Really? I haven't read it yet but it got a good review in Quill & Quire.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Not such a good review in the Post...
Ah. I didn't see that one. I knew you didn't write the one in Q&Q because you didn't have review in that issue. You didn't write the one in the Citizen either, I don't think. I don't get the Post. Too many newspapers, too little time.

At least you spelled her name right...

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Jack Whyte. His prose feels so level and sedate, but it carries the arc of the story so well. Brilliantly fussy about historical accuracy. His plots are huge, but it's the characters that pull the reader through.

Bernard Corwell. I want to write battles like that.

Bertrice Small. Revolutionized the historical romance novel. The detail, the characters, the sex! Vive le Manroot!

Clive Barker. I think if I got to spent a moment in his head I would either die of terror or never want to leave. If I even come close to creating the visions he does, I will be satisfied.

Last edited:

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
Michael Crichton

His research is second to none. I feel like an expert after reading one of his.

willietheshakes

Registered
Reaction score
Ah. I didn't see that one. I knew you didn't write the one in Q&Q because you didn't have review in that issue. You didn't write the one in the Citizen either, I don't think. I don't get the Post. Too many newspapers, too little time.

At least you spelled her name right...

Nah, I did the one in the Post...

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
Jenn, would you recommend any of Cornwell's series in particular? His are some of the books I always look at and think, "I really should read that," but never get to it. I really admire how many eras he approaches in his work; I hope that I could write across so wide a span.

For me: Fitzgerald astounds me; his level of editing and perception, the beautiful structure of his work, his word choice. I admire Charles Frazier for the sheer breadth of Cold Mountain, and his disarming humility in regard to his his work. Ian McEwan's work struck me as a symphony worthy of so much envy (for me, reading Atonement was like entering a cathedral), and his intelligence and attention to the minutiae of the craft is impressive. These authors' characters are so complex and palpable to me, and they have such unbridled talent.

I'm reading Christopher Rush's Will right now, and while the jury's still out on the story itself (as I've yet to finish it!) I can't help but admire a man who studied Shakespeare for thirty years and paid such deference to his subject--and yet made him human. To pare the myth until only that celebrated human remains--that's a feat to me.

Last edited:

Dara

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.capriciousquills.com
Hmmm...I'm a fan of Robin Hobb and Juliet Marillier as far as writing goes, but I don't know a thing about their personal lives, so I can't really say whether they're admirable or not. I did admire Robert Jordan for writing notes on his final WOT book clear up to his death. That's dedication. If I had a serious illness I'd probably just lie around and relax instead of trying to finish my work.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, I did the one in the Post...
Oh, thanks! I searched for your review and couldn't find it. I would hardly call it a "bad" review, certainly not "scathing". It's honest. I must reserve judgement on the subject of the review because I haven't read the book. I will, though.

I'm a bad Canadian anyway. I just read a Gowdy I didn't like <gasp!>. Helpless just didn't do it for me.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Dick Francis. The earlier novels, when he actually wrote them himself according to rumour and allegation. Brilliant plots and perfect research, as far as I can see when he involves some of my expert topics.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Jenn, would you recommend any of Cornwell's series in particular? His are some of the books I always look at and think, "I really should read that," but never get to it. I really admire how many eras he approaches in his work; I hope that I could write across so wide a span.

I've read the Grail Quest series and his Arthur books. I know his Sharpe series is very popular, both books and tv shows, but it's the early battles that I love. Swords and sheilds and whatnot. And he has a fabulous way of subltly incorporating a romantic subplot. The Arthur books are my fave so far.

redpbass

Registered
Reaction score
I'll go with Jeanne and say Louis L'amour. For sheer volume of enjoyable stories and re-readability.

Status
Not open for further replies.