Who loves Creative Nonfiction?

melodychef

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melodyplatz.typepad.com
I love the form of writing Creative Nonfiction essays from about 500 to 2500 words. Usually my essays are somewhat humorous. My heroes are Dave Barry and David Sedaris.

What kind of Creative Nonfiction do you read or write? Do you have a favorite place to submit essays? Any top authors you think everyone should read?

Ritergal

Registered
Reaction score
Website
heartandcraft.blogspot.com
I'm also a fan of this sort of writing and have written many pieces. I submitted one to the First Person Singular column that runs on Sundays in a local newpaper. It was snapped up within hours. I have intentions of submitting more ... where? Which stories? Life keeps getting in the way, and that could be a fine new thread. Soon! Thanks for starting this one.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
David Sedaris rocks!

I'm a food writing fan, so I would add Anthony Bourdain and Michael Ruhlman as "must read" authors.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I love Creative Nonfiction. I read a lot of memoir and am revising the memoir that was my MFA thesis. One of the books that has helped my memoir writing the most is Patricia Hampl's I Could Tell You Stories, particularly the chapter "Memory and Imagination."

When I'm writing essays or chapters and need inspiration, I go back to the essays of E.B. White and Phillip Lopate, to name a couple.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do. Now that I've figured out what it is. :ROFL:

I do believe in warning labels for it, though. i.e., 'yes, it all happened - just not in the order in which it appeared.'