Who's cool now?

Desert Author

Writing junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffegerton.com
Paul Newman recently passed away. He was, in my mind, one of the coolest of the cool. Great actor, faithful husband, successful racer and businessman, philanthropist and certainly more good qualities we're not aware of.

Now that he's passed into the land of legends, who's left that can compare? Who's cool?

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
That is true, Desert. Maybe his wife, Joanne Woodward? She looks pretty cool.

Last edited:

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
You are so right, Desert Author; Paul Newman was a very cool man. May he rest in peace.
His buddy, Robert Redford, is another cool one that comes to my mind. Great actor, philanthropist, passionate environmentalist, founder of the Sundance Film Festival (That's very cool).

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Dave Grohl (from the Foo Fighters) seems to be working his way to that level of cool.

Bob Geldolf is cool. He's done all that work to help people in Africa and he's a very devoted father to his four girls.

And how about Bono? He's cool.

I agree, though. Paul Newman was the kind of cool everyone aspires to. Plus, that man could make a mean salad dressing. :)

ETA - I remember reading an interview with Joanne Woodward a few years ago. When the interviewer arrived, Paul Newman opened the door with a smile and said, "Hi, come on in. I'm Joanne's husband." That was cool.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've always thought of Andy Garcia as one of the coolest cats around...

Terrence Howard too...

Otherwise, tough call. You can't be in that class of cool without being a little bit scary, I think...

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What about Denzel Washington? He seems pretty cool--aside from being one of the best actors out there. (Forgot about him earlier)

Denzel's okay, but he's a little too loud for me. Too passionate, in a way. Too many scenes where he clearly doesn't keep his cool.

For me it's more about the quiet, controlled menace... the smoothness and composure--almost indifference--in the face of danger... pulling it off without appearing aloof is damn hard, and Denzel just doesn't really have those roles come to him.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Krystal about Robert Redford. And may I (of course) nominate Cate Blanchett? The more I learn about that lady, the more I am impressed.

But I don't know as if any of them have their own brand of salad dressing...

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Denzel's okay, but he's a little too loud for me. Too passionate, in a way. Too many scenes where he clearly doesn't keep his cool.

For me it's more about the quiet, controlled menace... the smoothness and composure--almost indifference--in the face of danger... pulling it off without appearing aloof is damn hard, and Denzel just doesn't really have those roles come to him.

It's a matter of taste. I'm still pissed Denzel didn't get an Oscar for Glory though. I was a wee little actor doing the Florida rep circuit the first time I saw that movie, and I thought the control it took to let that one perfect tear slip at the exact moment of maximum impact was amazing.