querying for a series

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrandiRhoades

Hey everybody,
I have a question about children's series. I have an idea laid out for a series of books that fall somewhere between picture books and YA novels. They're probably for folks in the 2nd-3rd grade range. At any rate, I have 2 of them written. I have the plots in mind for 5 total (including the 2 I've already written).

I haven't even started preparing a query for the series. I've been thinking about what I'd like to say and checking out a couple of publishers I think may be good starting points. I guess I have a lot of questions (sorry for rambling here). First, I know I should mention I envision a series. Should I have all of the books written before I query? Should I say specifically that I have 5 in mind or kind of leave part open? Coming up with more ideas for the series wouldn't be impossible. Five was the number I thought of when I started this project. For publishers who want to see a mss with the initial query, should I just send the first one?

HELP!
Brandi

Risseybug

First of all, I don't want to discourage you from writing a series. It's commendable to take an idea through several books. I have one started myself.

That said... have you published books before? If not, then querying a series to a publisher might not be your best bet. If the first book can stand alone (and I recommend that it does) then pitch the first book only.

Why? Because publishers don't want to put out money to publish a series if the first one doesn't sell. Not that your books aren't great, I'm playing publishers advocate.

Query the first book. Get a publisher for that one, and then pitch the series. The publisher wants someone who they know to be a seller before they put out another book by them.
Make sense?

If you have your heart set on selling the series, the other alternative is to write a separate, stand alone book, sell it, then your in with the publisher and can pitch the series together.

wwwatcher

Rissey has given you the advice that the pros here seem to give alot. Write the first book and make it your best effort and submit that. Publishers and agents are going to want to see a whole ms from an unpublished writer.

Take Care,
Faye

Writing Again

Re: Re: querying for a series

I'm not a children's book writer, but if I were not established and I really wanted to push a series I would write the first three books and then submit.

Reason:

I read an interview with a publisher. When asked about a certain series of mystery stories the reply was, "The novels themselves did not stand out as exceptional, but he had already written three of them, all of them good, and I felt this showed perseverance and the ability to continue producing. So I bought them and have not regretted it."

wwwatcher

Re: Re: querying for a series

Are you a prolific writer, Writing Again?

EliseTaylor

Querying for a Series

I've had the same problem...trying to figure out how to query for the series.

I have one written and the second one is a work-in-progress. The total will be three, for sure, but maybe more. I've noticed with the first that after letting it sit awhile it has some holes. Getting the next two written will let me go back and add more clues, etc.

The question I'm posing is this: How do you lump them all into one query letter? I know that the "advice" that the pros give is what Risseybug suggested, but (and here's my big but) what if the series was all you cared about writing at the time? I have a couple of other things in the cooker, but really have no interest in either one.

Even with Risseybug's "Publishing Advocate" stance, I don't feel like Brandi's question was answered here. And I have the same one.

-Elise aka Elyse (changed screen name due to some problems)

Risseybug

Ok, then, let's take the questions one at a time...

First, I know I should mention I envision a series. Should I have all of the books written before I query?

No, probably you don't need to, just have the first one done and polished up. It takes about a year to publish a book, by then you can have the next one done, then the next one, etc...

Should I say specifically that I have 5 in mind or kind of leave part open?
MMm, that's a tough one. You can say that you have five books sketched out, but that the final number is undetermined. You may get to book five an decide it's enough, or you may have a successful series by that time and have more ideas. Leave it open.

For publishers who want to see a mss with the initial query, should I just send the first one?

I would just send the first one. That will give them a good idea of your style and if the idea is marketable. Pubs are inundated with submissions, you don't want to overwhelm them first time out.

Is this what you were looking for?

CWGranny

If you are really bent on producing a series, I recently heard an editor say that she would only consider a series if the first book was completely done and polished and the second book was mostly done and the third book was plotted. In fact, she would like to see an outline for all the books in the series. This is for young middle grade series books like the Marvin Redpath books or the Herbie Jones series or Amber Brown, that kind of thing.

The reason they want the second book mostly done (assuming what you have in mind really *needs* to be a series) is that the second book in a series needs to come out very closely behind the first -- not a year later -- in order for the series to make it. So, the editor wants to know that you have most of the second book done (but at still open enough to serious changes).

So, when submitting, follow the rules of the specific publisher (they have guidelines), but basically you focus on the first book (because that's what you're selling TODAY). You give a fairly detailed synops of the second (stating that it's finished and ready for revision, or some such) and a short (about a paragraph) plot blurb for each of the others you have planned.

You're still betting heavily on a three-legged horse since series books are very hard to sell, but if what you have really only works as a series, it's best if you can show that you're really prepared to produce a series.

gran

stormie267

I know of at least one children's book publisher who doesn't want series. So, make sure when you submit your query, you know what they will consider.

Also, as an unpublished writer of children's books, you really should focus on just that first book when you query. You could say something along the lines of "...this could be the first of a series of books," or "I have ideas for other children's books...."

Keep in mind that grades 2 and 3 can be early chapter books, middle grade novels are grades 4 or 5 through 7, and YA is about high school level.

Good luck!

maestrowork

When I worked at Scholastic... they definitely like series, at least a potential for a series. But they also deal with some real brand names such as Harry Potter (which is HUGE at Scholastic -- they actually let everyone get off from work early the day it was released), Clifford, etc. But I agree with an unknown, unpublished author, they'd probably just look at one book at a time -- but always keep the series in mind, especially if the first one IS outstanding.

Sonarbabe

Which completely explains why every single agent has shot my YA series down. The thing is, my first book could stand alone, but it's really just "the beginning". How do you pitch that?

stormie267

How about "This could be the beginning of other (novels/series/PB's, whatever) along this line." But pitch only that wonderful first book in your query.

maestrowork

I concur... say "it has future market potential" or something but don't sell it as part of a series. Just as a stand-alone book. I'm sure if it's a great book and it sells, people will be knocking on your door for a series, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.