Earning While Writing - It's Hard, Being an International Exchange Student

Bo Mill

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deusdies.com
Guys,

I'm pretty new here. I'm sorry if I didn't post this in the appropriate section.

Anyway, unfortunately, what motivates me to "activate" my writing skills, which are pretty good (oh, oh, I'm so humble, I know) is lack of finances. For those of you who have not read my introduction thread, I am Bo, I'm 18 and I am an international exchange student, currently located in Olympia, WA, USA. I am not allowed to have a regular job :( So I'd like to write.

My questions are:

1. How much can I earn by writing? I've seen bunch of people asking for writers and offering less than 0.01$ per word. I think my articles are worth more.

2. Where do I find people who are hiring writers?

3. Would $100 per week be a realistic figure for me?

Thank you very much for your replies.

-Bo

cress8

Registered
Reaction score
searching the world over for Calvin and Hobbes
Bo,

Others may disagree with me, but I think $100 per week is a huge overestimate for your earnings anytime soon. Besides, if you write for legitimate businesses, you are likely to run into the same employment restrictions you face with a "regular job" in the US. I think writing is a regular job just like any other, unless there's something I don't know about exchange student laws. I'm not sure if you'd face the same restrictions submitting work to publications in your country of origin while living here.

Regarding your other questions, there are plenty of "sticky" threads on this site with tons of info. I'm not trying to be discouraging, but if you don't yet know how to find people who hire writers, you still have a LOT to learn about the writing business before you'll be able to make money (and avoid scam artists who will promise you the moon, then run off with your work).

If you could use your spare time as a student to hone your writing and research the business end of things, then you'd be in a much better position to find work here or in your own country by the time you finish your exchange program.

And yes, less than $0.01 a word is abysmal, but often the best you can do when you're just starting out.

I hope this advice has been helpful rather than discouraging. Good luck!

Phot's Moll

Registered
Reaction score
Some people will earn huge amounts of money from writing, some will earn nothing, most will earn something between the two - eventually. Until you're experienced, well known and able to devote time to your writing, you're not likely to earn very much. Making a start now will help to build experience and a name though.

I don't know anything about the law regarding work for exchange students - you'd need to check if writing related income is subject to any of the restrictions that apply to regular jobs.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
And yes, less than $0.01 a word is abysmal, but often the best you can do when you're just starting out.

Um... I have to vigorously disagree. The people who write for so little are doing themselves and the rest of the writing community a disservice by devaluing their own work. I NEVER write for so little, nor did I when starting out. If I really need work or like a project, I MIGHT stoop to a penny a word. Maybe. Mostly I don't dip below .03 anymore, and even that is rare.

On to the question... It depends on how good you actually are. Bragging aside, the employers will be the judge. If you can write quality articles in very good English, then you may be able to make your $100 a week. That's about how much I made when I started out, but I also started before the economy went downhill and people stopped hiring so much.

Send me a PM and I will give you the contact information for a very good content company.

cress8

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, wildscribe, I've got to know how you made that much just as a beginner! I thought this was someone working part time.

I agree that ideally no writer should accept such pay, but in reality, even small regionals often expect you to have paid some dues before they'll give you a shot. Are you thinking mostly content writing? My biggest concern with someone just starting out is that if they don't take the time to learn the business end, they will get screwed by some fly-by-night online company.

Anyway, I'm encouraged to hear you disagree about the earning potential; I'd love to know what markets you've found have the most potential for newbies. I could PM you if you prefer.

Bo Mill

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deusdies.com
Thank you all so much for your replies. I really enjoyed reading them.

About the exchange student law: I am not permitted to have any job that is taxable, ie that goes over my SSN.

I'm still familiarizing myself with America, U.S. educational system et cetera, and I'm still working on improving my English skills, so I wouldn't have a lot of time now. Hopefully, somewhere after the New Year, I'd have a lot more time to devote to writing - since I really enjoy doing it.

Once again, thank you all for your replies.

Bo Mill

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deusdies.com
Not if you work online on contract, ie you get paid via PayPal.

Anyway, my goal is to get myself a laptop. I have a 12 year old 350 MHz computer running Windows XP which is just not enough. Laptops are ~450$ and so far I got only 160$ :(

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... I have seen at a writing site (Associated Contenet I think) that if you earn more than 600$ with them, you need to fill out a tax form... apparently anything lower than that, you don't fill out forms...
Not sure what the official view on exchange students writing is though...

It depends who you are writing for & how much they pay... Haven't found any really good markets yet... If I were in USA I'd head to the first library or bookstore & look into the latest Writer's Market, Jenna Glatzer's book Make a Real Living as a Freelancer (you can also check it out on Wowio for free, but you will probably want a paper version) & other resources, & check out some magazines that you'd consider contributing into... (one can still do that from abroad, but it's not-quite-so-easy... & involves Amazon/buying the books instead of just getting them on loan in some cases, & not all magazines are available here..)
You can get access to markets online too, some listings are free, & for some you pay a small fee...

Maybe you could inquire at your University if you can take a part-time job there (or use a computer there, or get a cheaper computer/discount), I know there were some possibilities for foreign students when I was checking that out... It might be more 'secure' & steady money...
With writing, you may be lucky & earn more - or less depending on who you contact & if they like you & your articles etc. You need to contact a lot of people/markets in the beginning, to earn money... at least that's the way I see it... :) and that's what Jenna says in her book too.. :)
the jobs that are very easy to get are usually not for a lot of money... but then again you may have luck (in that case, tell us! :))

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am a resident alien in the US able to have only one employer. This does not prevent selling writing in any non-salaried way. I have sold article, books, and online content and declared it for tax with not problem for almost 10 years

I would request not reviving the acceptable pay issue -- it is not for us to dictate what pay our writing peers accept

cress8

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the rule that anything over $600 must be reported for taxes is correct, but that applies to any job. Sounds like you need less than that for the laptop, though.

You might find quicker cash by making it known in your neighborhood that you'll help folks out with chores, etc., as well. Let your teachers know you're trying to earn some cash and ask them to spread the word. Not as fun as writing, I know, but still QUICK cash in hand that you don't have to do with an SSN. It would probably earn you a higher hourly rate than writing would right now, since you're new to that business. That would help earn the laptop faster. Then you could use that to keep working on your writing as well.

Again, I'm certainly not trying to discourage the writing! I'm just saying there are several cash-earning options open to you that you could probably do without having to file taxes. In the US, high-schoolers working here and there for a little non-taxed cash are quite common. Many people needing odd jobs done prefer to pay a student for a Saturday morning than to hire a "professional" who will charge them a fortune. Good luck!