Glimmer Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtsdaughter

Nearing the end of an era
Registered
Reaction score
stuck between Wonder Woman and Lady Columbia
So, I thought that those of us who aim high (which we all do, of course) and have submitted to Glimmer Train should have our own support thread. Yup, folks this is it.

If you submitted for the money, that's fine.
If you submitted for the experience, that's fine.
If you submitted for the name of Glimmer Train, that's fine.
If you submitted for the men/women that will come your way . . . well check out the hot tub thread.

But anyone else, come and see our hearts fall and rise with each email from them.

Seriously folks, I'm just curious so see who submitted, and the type of stuff you submitted. And since, I know JAlpha (and others) will hassle me to release my subject matter first--here goes. :D

I sent a circa 6,500 word short story (Night Out) centering on three guys and one girl--John, Jason, Paul, and Janie. They are all out for a night of drinks, intending on running into each other without the other knowing it, Janie has slept with John, loved Paul, and Jason is a sleaze. John acts as a devil incarnate character by causing a stir and not staying to watch the explosion. Jason lurks and dreams, and in the end he slinks about. Paul is a loser and desperate man. His goals of Janie are never fulfilled, and he leaves the bar in fit of depression and self-loathe.

The story is told from each one of the characters--in four parts, with each part leading up to next and filling in blanks along the way (i.e. misconceptions that other characters have about one another, or things that they couldn't have known). Centering the story is Janie--her delusions, her distastes, and her self-induced dementia (serious drug use that night). It ends by tying in all three of the characters in an unexpected manner that is subtle yet direct. The entire piece is dark and filled with self-loathing. The characters are meant to be shallow and self-centered, each hating the other, him/herself, and the moment that they are in.

Oh, has anyone here made the gold with them yet?

A.

wurdwise

Banned
Reaction score
I have a story out to Zoetrope, if they reject, which I expect they will, the next on my list for the story is Glimmer Train.

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
sgtsdaughter said:
I know JAlpha (and others) will hassle me to release my subject matter first--here goes. :D

Who me? Hassle? Nah, I just like to inspire!:whip:

I have submitted three short stories to their Very Short Story contests over the years. All three of my submissions failed to get even an HM, but I was able to get them all published somewhere else. I also entered a short story in one of their short story contests--the same short story that had already won in three previous contests in different venues--regional and national, and all I got was an automated e-mail rejection.

I won't give up though, Glimmer Train is a great market. I've been a subscriber for years, and enjoy nearly 100% of everything they publish. In their last issue they featured a story by a writer who had been submitting to them for 10 years--and they finally selected one of her stories.

It's just one of those things on my writer's to-do list. MUST GET PUBLISHED IN GLIMMER TRAIN! I chant it every night before I got to sleep :sleepy:

Last edited:

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
I subbed the full short story from my Idol audition to them. I think it ran about 5000 words, maybe a little longer.

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
i submitted. of course, my story was rejected...that's okay. after looking it over a few months later, i'm wondering why they didn't just write on the rejection letter -"YOU FOOL! YOU CALL THIS FICTION! IT'S CRAP!"

but i will, some day, be published by them.

somehow.

when my fiction writing improves drastically...

JohnChimpo

I'm writing something right now that I'd like to send to them. After reading all these post, I ask myself. Do I bother?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I guess I really do need to read it to understand what they're looking for. LOL... (but I hate to write to specs or expectations...)

alanna

Registered
Reaction score
JohnChimpo said:
I'm writing something right now that I'd like to send to them. After reading all these post, I ask myself. Do I bother?

YES!

Status
Not open for further replies.