PDA

View Full Version : What your drink says about you

scheherazade
09-30-2008, 03:42 AM
You can tell a lot about a person by what they order to drink in a bar/club/restaurant. I know some of the basic stereotypes - wine is classy, whisky is rugged/masculine, sherry is slightly effeminate, tequila is for fun. Ordering beer shows you're "one of the guys/gals", but if it's a microbrew you might be a yuppie. Coffee, soda water, or a virgin cocktail in a setting where most others are drinking can mean that the person is a recovering alcoholic, young or relatively innocent, or just trying to save money.

What are some of the other assumptions you might make about a person based on what they drink? What about mixed drinks - not just the really elaborate cocktails, but also what kind of person orders a whisky sour or a vodka twist? Is someone who orders a dirty martini different than one who orders a vodka martini? Any stereotypes you're familiar with would be great, thanks! Do you know of any websites that describe this anthropology of imbibing?

zenwriter
09-30-2008, 03:56 AM
Here are some sites:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4358859.stm
http://www.pointsincase.com/columns/david/1-28-07.htm
http://www.local10.com/entertainment/13648138/detail.html

vixey
09-30-2008, 04:04 AM
I rarely order hard liquor at bars mostly because of the cost. When I'm out, I'll usually order the best red I can get by the glass (depends on the restaurant). In the summer, I may order chardonnay (I like oak, I know that's passe) or a pinot grigio.

Now, if I do choose to order liquor, in the winter-ish months, I'll order bourbon over ice (single barrel, like Knob Creek, is preferable). In the summer, my "big girl drink" (as my brother in law says) of choice is a gin martini, straight up with olives (Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray 10). Don't know what this says about me, but I'm pretty specific about what I like.

Clair Dickson
09-30-2008, 04:22 AM
And avoiding bars/clubs/ etc is a sign that a person is a hermit crab. Probably very quiet. Probably anti-social, at least to some degree. =)

mscelina
09-30-2008, 04:26 AM
Oh god. Don't get an old bartender started on this one.

That being said, I order body shots at Applebees.

;)

vixey
09-30-2008, 04:47 AM
Here are some sites:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4358859.stm
http://www.pointsincase.com/columns/david/1-28-07.htm

OK, I looked at your sites and I'm so never ordering red wine again. "Can't wait to buy a minivan!" Ugh!!! I couldn't wait to unload mine 3 years ago! And the bourbon makes me look seedy. Guess I'll stick with the martini.

Or - I can be who I am and not give a darn about what this says. I'll just drink what I like, thank you very much. :D

TerzaRima
09-30-2008, 05:30 AM
MARGARITAS:

I’m whimsical, have a great sense of adventure, and don’t mind trying new things. Don’t delve too deeply into my past, though. There’s a good chance I was on Girls Gone Wild.

whistles, looks around nervously

C.bronco
09-30-2008, 05:44 AM
Coors Light means that you like the low carbs, and that it isn't that heavy. When you switch to diet pepsi halfway throught the evening, it says that you know that you have to get up before 8:00 AM, or possibly seven.

P.S. Funny Llinks!

Haggis
09-30-2008, 06:12 AM
When you do "shooters" you're there to get drunk.

When you drink "frou-frou drinks" you can't stand the taste of booze.

When you ask for a "whiskey and rye" (mentioned in American Pie), you're underage and your ass will get tossed out of the bar.

When you ask, "what kind of martinis do you have?" you don't have a clue.

When you order "Bud Light" you're cheap.

When you order an "old fashioned--muddle the fruit" you're either older than I am, or you've seen too many old movies.

When you order a martini "shaken, not stirred" step over to where I'm sitting so I can bitch-slap you.

Shall I go on?

C.bronco
09-30-2008, 06:20 AM
.. and if you order jaeger, Watch Out! You're in for trouble.

If you order a lemon drop, get one for me.

If you order steamers, get an order for me. (They go well with beer). Then get me a chili dog.

GeorgeK
09-30-2008, 06:21 AM
It also makes a difference if they order more than one of the same. If they are mixing it up and ordering a scattering of things they might just live in the Bible Belt and are finally in a wet zone where they can try different things. So it might mean an out-of-towner.

StephanieFox
09-30-2008, 06:34 AM
I usually order a real martini (a real martini is vodka or gin with some vermouth or not, shaken or stirred.) A dirty martini, with olive brine is still a martini, but it's close to the edge. There is no fruit juice, pop or other fancy liquors in a martini. Those are cocktails, and they may be good, but not martinis.

Sometime I order single malt scotch. Very very rarely, I'll order Irish whiskey.

I never drink beer because I can't stand the bubbles. (I don't drink pop, either.)

In the summer or with Mexican food, I get a Margarita.

If I am in the country of origin, I'll order the local drink.

If I'm having dinner, I'll have wine. If the bar has some good wine, sometimes I'll order wine without the food.

Plain liquor has a lot fewer calories than mixed drinks.

I will mix over the course of an evening. It never bothers me and I kind of think that it's all in the heads of the people who it does bother. (Sorry.)

Oh, yes, I AM fond of saki and it's identical cousin, sojiu. Hot, cold, room temp and any other way. But, saki – good saki and not the rot gut – is expensive and hard to find and so I drink one level above the rot gut.

I think I'll go have a drink now.

GeorgeK
09-30-2008, 06:57 AM
I think I'll go have a drink now.

Have one for me cause I live in a dry area. A neighboring town recently passed "moist laws" (no package liquor or bars, only in restaraunts with greater than 100 seating capacity), but you don't want inexperienced bartenders mixing drinks. I made the mistake of trying a margarita during happy hour. The "bartender" didn't know that there was a difference between salts. The glass was ringed with iodized salt. (shudder...gag...cough)

jennifer75
09-30-2008, 07:26 AM
I'm a beer drinker, haven't ya heard?????????????

Barbeques, I'll take a beer. Mexican restaurants, a margarita usually. Unless I'm in Mexico, then it's beer.

At home relaxing...usually a beer. Dark or Light. I'm presently sipping on a Sam Adams Black Lager, and LOVING it.

Bubbles? In beer? You're drinking the wrong beer.

To me, if a friend orders a Cosmo, it's because she wants to come off as a "drinker" but is afraid to try something real.

If someone tells me they don't like beer, I cringe.

I don't drink beer for an "image" I drink beer because I appreciate the flavor. AND ABSOLUTELYFRIGGINLOVEIT!

Lite beers can go to .... well....I don't drink'em. That's not a beer. I want full body, full flavor, and a nice color.

Shots? Why bother. If I go to a club, I'll get a rum and coke with lime, or to all you bartenders out there, a Cuba Libre......because that's just what I drink. But I'll chase it with a beer or three.

I enjoy sports, movies, talking, and just hanging out. If that's because of the beer, then so be it. And vice versa.

Now, back to my beer.

MaryMumsy
09-30-2008, 07:26 AM
Jack Daniel's, rocks.

MM

jennifer75
09-30-2008, 07:31 AM
.. and if you order jaeger, Watch Out! You're in for trouble.

Oh man. Don't get me started on that...

I'll do it myself...

When I broke into drinking, my method was a jaeger shot, or two, and then a few Coronas. That had me spinnin on the dance floor alright.

No more. The thought alone makes me gag.

Jersey Chick
09-30-2008, 07:37 AM
I drink red wine - merlot and pinot noir are my favorite - when I'm home and relaxing over dinner with Jersey Guy.

When I'm out to dinner - and I don't want wine, I'm a girly-drinker - Malibu bay breeze is my signature drink. But if there is no Malibu rum (the horror!the horror!) I'll drink margaritas

When I'm at a bar with Jersey Guy (a rare occurence nowadays), I lean towards basics - rum and Coke, gin and tonic.

For shots - I like lemon drops (told ya I was girly) and Red Death - but I don't do many shots anymore since I prefer not having a hangover over having a hangover these days. I have to be able to get out of bed the next day and be a good role model for the young'uns and all that. :D

I do make Cosmos at home on occasion and the only martini I've ever had was a chocolate one. Two of those, and nine months later, I had a baby boy. I don't drink martinis of any sort now ;)

And in all actuality, I'm not much of a drinker - these are just my choices for those rare occasions....

Barb D
09-30-2008, 07:47 AM
Coffee, soda water, or a virgin cocktail in a setting where most others are drinking can mean that the person is a recovering alcoholic, young or relatively innocent, or just trying to save money.

And avoiding bars/clubs/ etc is a sign that a person is a hermit crab. Probably very quiet. Probably anti-social, at least to some degree. =)

I'm 47, don't go to bars or clubs, and am hardly a recluse. I don't drink because I don't like the taste and don't see a point in acquiring it. (Just give me a Diet Coke, thanks.) Sorry to burst some stereotypes!

Homewrecker
09-30-2008, 09:09 AM
I like sweet tasting drinks. Try to stay away from beer 'cause of the carbs. Tequila's just trouble. G&Ts to fight the summer heat. And rum neat. I used to drink it mixed but a fellow I know suggested that it was the root of my hangover headaches. And he appears to be right.

What does all this say about me? I'm a very thirsty girl.

Cheers!

Drink to-day, and drown all sorrow,
You shall perhaps not do it tomorrow.
Best, while you have it, use your breath:
There is no drinking after death.
Wine works the heart up, wakes up the wit;
There is no cure ‘gainst age but it.
It helps the headache, cough, and tisic,
And is for all disease physic.
Then let us swill, boys, for our health;
Who drinks well, loves the commonwealth
And he that will to bed go sober,
Falls with the leaf still in October.
–John Fletcher

StephanieFox
09-30-2008, 09:10 AM
Vixey's link to local10 where the bartender talks about who orders what he's at Miami and that's a kid's bar in South Minneapolis. It's for 20somes, so young that the idea of Miami (from Miami Vice the TV show) is an old fashioned kick for them, something exotic from their very young childhood. I don't think this is a very good example.

The 20somes with money go elsewhere exotic places like Azia.

I am not 20something nor do I have money. (Sigh) But, I do know what I like and I don't care what the bartender thinks.

Nakhlasmoke
09-30-2008, 09:22 AM
I have to stop drinking beer (OMG THE HORROR) so now it's back to bloody marys or vodka and lime.

Or...uh...don't tell anyone this, Southern Comfort with a dash of lime is also a fave.

eta: i have no idea what this means. Maybe some wizened bartender will know.

Elonna
09-30-2008, 10:16 AM
Tuaca and red bull for me. It's supposed to be a Tuaca bomb but I drink it on ice like a cocktail...good stuff, very potent though.

Deccydiva
09-30-2008, 11:50 AM
I don't drink alcohol nor to I go to bars - in fact the last pub I went into was nearly four years ago. I am not a recovering alcoholic, or a hermit. I have a medical condition which means I am extremely intolerant to alcohol - a fairly small amount could be lethal. Around here, soft drinks are almost the same price as alcoholic drinks. I am on Welfare so I have to watch every penny and I have nobody to go out with as I don't know anyone in the area well enough - and have no family. I can't go on my own without being regarded as being "on the pull" or "available" therefore eligible to be hassled.
I don't miss it at all.:)

Phoebe H
09-30-2008, 02:03 PM
If I'm out, I drink vodka-cranberry -- *not* a Cosmopolitan.

If I'm at home, I will mix a Coke with a Mike's Hard Lime. (Don't laugh -- it actually works well.)

Either way, if I have more than one, I'll be on my lips.

Priene
09-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Definition of a shandy drinker (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shandy%20drinker).

Linda Adams
09-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Coffee, soda water, or a virgin cocktail in a setting where most others are drinking can mean that the person is a recovering alcoholic, young or relatively innocent, or just trying to save money.

Or it could be that they don't like the taste. I grew up in a family that never drank because of that.

But it could be the person is driving home after the party and wants to stay safe. There are also some people who are on medications that don't mix with alcohol. And I know a person who steers away from certain types of drinks because they turn him into a mean drunk.

vixey
09-30-2008, 06:06 PM
I'm curious what the OP likes to drink. Care to enlighten us, Scherherazade?

donroc
09-30-2008, 06:55 PM
It is not the drink but how one holds the liquor.

However ...

I am amused by people at bars and restaurants who claim to be experts in wines and do not hold their classes by the stem.

In fine restaurants/bars, I find it classless if one drinks beer out of the bottle.

In college we feared girls who drank hard liquor because we knew they would be expensive dates. Most drank a single Daiquiri, Grasshopper, or Singapore Sling and nursed them.

jennifer75
09-30-2008, 07:04 PM
I think of anyone who orders booze in a bar or restaurant as a SUCKER. I would never do it. Why pay $9 for a beer you can have at home for $1.50? You'd have to be mentally ill. Don't even get me started with mixed drinks.

Put me on the cheap prude side of the equation.

Don't get me started on the cost of beer. If I can party at home and only pay $12.99 for a dozen...I'm in. But a $9 beer at a restaurant, shiiiiiiiznitt. I'm very selective when it comes to paying for my booze...and I really only pay those high prices when I'm "celebratin" or I got paid and can spare a couple twenty's.

vixey
09-30-2008, 07:06 PM
I am amused by people at bars and restaurants who claim to be experts in wines and do not hold their classes by the stem.

No expert here, but my understanding is white wines glasses should beheld by the stem because you don't want to warm the wine. Red, it doesn't matter. I actually like the new stemless glasses for red.

jennifer75
09-30-2008, 07:11 PM
And I know a person who steers away from certain types of drinks because they turn him into a mean drunk.

Oh yea, they should list the "don't drink if you're..." cause man, a shitty outlook on things mixed with wine - for me - disaster. DISASTER. Troubled relationship...and tequila......baaaaaaaaaaaaaad. BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD.

But beer...beer is good whenever. Beer is my comfort food.

jennifer75
09-30-2008, 07:12 PM
I actually like the new stemless glasses for red. They are sexy, aren't they?

kuwisdelu
09-30-2008, 07:22 PM
I posted a thread like this a while back in the roundtable, about using a character's taste drinks to get to know them.

I'm a scotch and gin man, myself. But I'm with KTC, I drink at home, not the bars. Partially due to the expense, and partially because I'm underage. That and the bars around here are filled with immature college students who guzzle beer and can't hold their liquor. If I can find a nice jazz bar or something, though...

I'm not sure, what does scotch and gin say about me? I'd like to say it suggests I'm sophisticated yet rugged, manly yet refined. When I have a mixed drink, it's usually a whisky sour or a gimlet.

It is not the drink but how one holds the
liquor.

Agreed.

In college we feared girls who drank hard liquor because we knew they would be expensive dates. Most drank a single Daiquiri, Grasshopper, or Singapore Sling and nursed them.

I like girls who like hard liquor, but know how to drink and have good taste. Mine loves white russians and sidecars.

vixey
09-30-2008, 07:34 PM
I rarely order hard liquor at bars mostly because of the cost.

I agree on the cost thing (just wanted to quote my earlier post to that effect). If we go out to dinner with other couples, we'll usually invite them over for a cocktail before hand for this reason.

A few years ago when things were going really well for us, I ordered a glass of 1983 Macallan Scotch for my husband at our favorite swanky restaurant. That single glass cost (don't scream at me - we could afford it more easily back then) $50. Considering a bottle of that same Scotch cost $120 at our local ABC store, that was insane.

I know wine is marked up a great deal in restaurants, too. Some restaurant/bars are more reasonable in their markups than others. I hate it when you see a supermarket style wine at the bar and they charge you per glass what the bottle would cost at the store.

StephanieFox
09-30-2008, 10:10 PM
I am a bit surprised by the attitude of some of the people who brag that they don't go to bars. If you don't like to go, fine, but most of us find bars a place to get out of the house to meet with friends. Just because I go out to a bar doesn't mean I drink to excess either. I learned to nurse a drink years ago and have a water with lime between my two drinks to stretch out the time. Tap water in a glass is free where I come from.

However, I do make sure that I tip the bartender. It's only right.

I'm more worried about the people who stay home alone to drink. That means that it's about the drinking, not the socialization. Yes, I can stay home and invite some friends for wine/beer/drinks but I work at home, cook and clean at home and I've got to get out sometimes.

Chase
09-30-2008, 10:17 PM
It's pathetic what my drink says about me:

Three cups of coffee each and every morning. Then cold tapwater, even in restaurants (yes, even bars--a writer can't give up going where people of interest hang out), or nothing at all.

Never had an alchohol problem, but gave up liquor before the new millennium. Since then, even quit soft drinks and then bottled water.

My friends' take on the matter? Most vote Chase is a cheapskate; some go with recovering alcoholic, despite denials; others stamp me an eccentric old fogy.

Good, interesting thread.

vixey
09-30-2008, 10:23 PM
It's pathetic what my drink says about me:

Three cups of coffee each and every morning. Then cold tapwater, even in restaurants (yes, even bars--a writer can't give up going where people of interest hang out), or nothing at all.

Never had an alchohol problem, but gave up liquor before the new millennium. Since then, even quit soft drinks and then bottled water.

My friends' take on the matter? Most vote Chase is a cheapskate; some go with recovering alcoholic, despite denials; others stamp me an eccentric old fogy.

Good, interesting thread.

I'd say you're the perfect Designated Driver! (And probably the most interesting one at the table at the end of the evening, in spite how brilliant the rest of the crowd may think they are.)

jennifer75
09-30-2008, 10:24 PM
If I had listened to my wallet one night out, I never would have discovered my new love, a Blue Chimay. $9 for a bottle/glass. But is the best damn Ale I've ever had.

So it depends on my mood, but usually if I'm out at a restaurant (which when I dine out, it's usually Mexican) I do a house margarita, or if a special occassion I go with the Caddy. It's enough to get me fuzzy and probaly only under $7 in most places.

vixey
09-30-2008, 10:26 PM
"Caddy?" (forgive my ignorance)

jennifer75
10-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Cadillac Margarita. That shot of Grand Marnier is just soooooooooooooo delightful.

Dommo
10-02-2008, 12:31 AM
I guess I'm a communist then. I like mixed drinks, simple affairs like Jack'n coke, etc.

I also like microbrews, and that's why I drink at brew pubs when I do drink. When you've had GOOD beer, it's hard to go back to the mass produced stuff(although when it's free, I'm up for anything). The only time I buy cheap'n shitty domestic beers is when I'm cooking brats, because in that case for some reason the cheaper the beer, the better the brat.

The only thing I really loathe is tequila, and I think that's more because tequila hates me. I also don't tend to drink to get drunk, I like to find that happy medium to where you're buzzing and the alcohol is a fun amplifier, as opposed to making you lose control.

PS for the person who asked, a Brat is short for a Bratwurst.

jennifer75
10-02-2008, 12:42 AM
I don't drink domestic. Though I did enjoy that Black Lager from S.A.

donroc
10-02-2008, 01:21 AM
Red should be drunk at room temp ( a poor phrase for warmer climes) ideally 65 degrees. Holding the glass warms it. The stem works better if one is serious about the temp.

Adipocere
10-02-2008, 01:30 AM
I've turned into a complete hermit the last few years but on the off chance that I do go to a bar, I always order one of the three same drinks, and generally stick with that all night.

Guinness on tap is definitely my favorite. Often I will actually scout out potential bars that sell it. When I buy beer for home, I get Guinness in cans. I always pass on the bottles, yuck. (I'm female, believe it or not)
I like dark beers...won't touch the "piss".

When I am not in the mood for Guinness, which is rare, I either go for a Long Island or White Russian. The White Russian is really good when I am craving junk food, but it usually turns gross after the second one. Long Islands are always a sure bet, but I'm careful not to drink too many. I tend to get a Long Island at restraunts where I know I can't get drunk because they never have Guinness on tap unless they have an Irish theme.

Oddly, Guinness was always my favorite, even before I was legal. I actually started a trend in my hometown. After a few years all my male punk rock friends inexplicably started drinking Guinness exclusively. Even better? Now virtually every bar in downtown Mobile, AL offers Guinness on tap! <gives myself a high-five> :D

GeorgeK
10-02-2008, 04:28 PM

Everyone should be an expert in what they like. The saying about beers is that if it needs to be cold, then there is something wrong with the flavor of the beer, because cold dampens the efficiency of taste buds and smell receptors. If you like it cold then maybe don't buy the costlier brands. The same can be said of wine. If you hold onto the wineglass it will warm the wine and make it easier to smell the aroma which is part of the enjoyment. I look at how one holds a wineglass the same as how one listens to the national anthem. Posture is posturing. It is meaningless. If you pay your taxes on time, that is more patriotic than whether you stand and hold you hand over your heart. The same is true of wine. If you paid for it (or made it) then how you hold it is up to you.

In fine restaurants/bars, I find it classless if one drinks beer out of the bottle.

What if you don't trust the workmanship/ cleanliness of the dishwasher? Sometimes friends might want to go to a place (their favorite place) where you don't want anything that is served at body temperature. Do you

A: Complain about the theoretical health hazards and ruin the evening?

B: Only order things that are served at greater than 140F. Don't get salad, salad dressing or dips and drink from a bottle?

Things are not always as they might appear. Maybe they know more than you think.

GeorgeK
10-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Guinness on tap is definitely my favorite. Often I will actually scout out potential bars that sell it. When I buy beer for home, I get Guinness in cans. I always pass on the bottles, yuck. (I'm female, believe it or not)
I like dark beers...won't touch the "piss".
:D

Guinness in the bottle vs in the can are different recipes so it is not surprising that you prefer one over the other.

Alpha Echo
10-02-2008, 05:08 PM
Hmmm, wonder what it means if I drink...everything? It just depends on my mood. I drink red wine, white wine, margaritas, flavored martinis, manhattans, rum and coke, Jack and diet, light beer, Blue Moon....

That makes it sound like I drink a lot, doesn't it?

jennifer75
10-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Oddly, Guinness was always my favorite, even before I was legal. I actually started a trend in my hometown. After a few years all my male punk rock friends inexplicably started drinking Guinness exclusively. Even better? Now virtually every bar in downtown Mobile, AL offers Guinness on tap! <gives myself a high-five> :D

Atta girl.

You should try yourself a Blue Chimay. Ooooooooooooooooooh yea.

jennifer75
10-02-2008, 08:11 PM
Everyone should be an expert in what they like. The saying about beers is that if it needs to be cold, then there is something wrong with the flavor of the beer, because cold dampens the efficiency of taste buds and smell receptors. If you like it cold then maybe don't buy the costlier brands.

I prefer my lagers icey cold, sometimes frosty and slushy. A XX frosteed up in the freezer is fabulous. Same for my Heinies. My Ales, darker ones, I like as cold as the fridge will get them. But that Guinness....oh man......same with Newcastles....oh yum.

Hold your beer bottles by the neck. I once questioned and giggled when I saw a friend toting hers by the neck..looked funny. But makes sense.

GeorgeK
10-03-2008, 08:12 AM
I prefer my lagers icey cold, sometimes frosty and slushy. A XX frosteed up in the freezer is fabulous. Same for my Heinies. My Ales, darker ones, I like as cold as the fridge will get them. But that Guinness....oh man......same with Newcastles....oh yum.

Actually that makes sense biologically if there are still yeast in the brew since lagers ferment at much colder temperatures. Guinness and Newcastle use a different more gentle filtering system than the typical American brew (most of which would not pass the German Purity laws...if anyone cares. It appears you prefer beers brewed without corn or rice. Personally I think if you are using rice, make sake not beer, since I like sake and I like barley beers and even wheat beers, but not rice beers but anyway) and so usually will have a very slight amount of yeast, which is actually a good thing IMO.

Some lager strains will ferment at near freezing temperatures. When I used to brew I'd set the lagers at 38F. The ales were usually around 65F to start and I'd let it drop a degree or two a day to no lower than 55 or I'd get a stuck fermentation. A beer starts to spoil once the yeast are dead or gone and I think are best enjoyed at the temperature that the yeast liked, but then I also like liver and brussel sprouts.

StephanieFox
10-03-2008, 08:22 AM
Advice from this website posted above:
may not be valid. The bar Miami no longer exists. In its place is now the newly opened Favor Cafe, serving po' boys, crawfish gumbo, peach cobbler, etc. Sounds like an improvement.

It might be nice, though, if they have wine.

GeorgeK
10-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Hmmm, wonder what it means if I drink...everything?

If it were limited to beers, the homebrew people would say "Beer Slut" since you aren't faithful to a brew. Those who are loyalists to a brew are "Beer Snobs". However since your taste extends into mixed drinks etc, perhaps you simply have a sense of taste that can appreciate a wider array of flavors. I like an assortment too, usually determined by the food and setting.

Chocolates goes with Tawny Port and Cream Sherry unless it's chocolate cake, then Guinness.
Liver goes with Killians and India Pale Ale.
Mutton Roast goes with Merlot, Shiraz, Newcastle Brown
Influenza goes with 3 parts Ruby Grapefruit Juice and 1 part Black Velvet

jennifer75
10-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Beer slut here. But I have a few regulars.

Chase
10-05-2008, 11:58 PM
Deccydiva
I don't miss it at all.:)[/quote]

Yes, what you drink or why you don't tells volumes. I'm so sorry you're alergic, poor, alone, and have an aversion to social encounters of the annoying kind.

Actually, I understand the latter complaint all too well. I avoid the local senior center like the plague it is. There are six women for every man my age, and we're treated like dog bones to be scrapped over when not having dirt kicked on us. Oh, the shame of it.

But just as I was feeling sorry for myself, you showed there's worse lives than being retired and a hopeless cynic. I'll drink to that.

euclid
10-06-2008, 02:23 PM
I can't remember the last time I was in a pub. :)

ABekah
10-06-2008, 09:35 PM
My drink depends on the situation and my mood. And yes, I don't like the taste of beer.

With dinner, I typically prefer a riesling or pinot grigio. I don't drink much red wine because it makes my nose itch. However, come winter gluhwein is a wonderful way to warm up. I miss the chriskindlmarkt season.

Mexican food calls for a margarita on the rocks, salted.

Going out for just drinks calls for an amaretto sour.

Having a drink in place of dessert means a chocolate & cream drink of some kind.

Mr Flibble
10-06-2008, 10:48 PM
My drink says this:

Whiskey makes me vomit - rather spectacularly and violently. Vodka makes me bolshy, tequilla makes me too silly. Bitter is, well, bitter, lager gives me mega burps. And I've always liked apples. Although I'll go a drop of 90/- any day because it tastes like liquid velvet.

Was it supposed to say anything else other than this is the one I like the taste of best?

vixey
10-07-2008, 12:23 AM
One thing this thread says is what people drink doesn't universally mark them as anything. It says we're all different and enjoy our booze in different ways. Frankly, I'm irritated the OP never chimed back in with his/her comments about what we're all saying. Wasn't there some point to this thread?

Sorry. I've seen too many threads lately where the OP asks a question or stirs the pot and disappears.

JoniBGoode
11-02-2008, 05:31 AM
Be aware that the connotations of drinks are regional. I have a friend who is originally from the UK but has lived in the Chicago area for many years. His macho hero drinks pernod constantly, which will strike most American readers as slightly more effeminate than a drink with a tiny paper umbrella. I personally think he's more of a Glenlivet on the rocks person.

I have another friend whose macho American hero drinks shots of Southern Comfort. Growing up in the south, I always associated that with hot toddies, spiked eggnog and other "ladies" drinks. I'd be more likely to have my hero drink Jim Beam or Jack Daniels. Or Old Bushmill's. But that's just me.

Oh yeah...different brand names also have connotations, at least as far as social class. A person who drinks Glenlivet is in a different social circle than a person who drinks Teacher's even though they are both scotch.

Cory Emberson
12-21-2008, 03:13 AM
Oh man. Don't get me started on that...

I'll do it myself...

When I broke into drinking, my method was a jaeger shot, or two, and then a few Coronas. That had me spinnin on the dance floor alright.

No more. The thought alone makes me gag.

Ditto on the Jaeger. Two words: Never Again.

Shadow_Ferret
12-21-2008, 03:29 AM
You can tell a lot about a person by what they order to drink in a bar/club/restaurant. Personally, I don't think you can tell anything about what a person orders.

I'm as likely to order a cognac as a beer, or a red wine as a whiskey, and if I do order a beer it could either be a domestic, import or a microbrew.