Neat-O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skim

Does anyone know if "Neat-O" is something a ten-year-old would say in this day and age, and if so, what's the proper way to write it? Neato? Neat-o?

It seems I'm running out of non-cursing interjections. Thanks for any help.

Jenny

Make it up!

I don't know if this is what professional writers do, but given that slang dates, why not make up the comment.

"Grotty grub burgers!"
"Fart breath."

I know, not good examples, but that kind of idea.

I haven't heard any kids say neat-o in Australia. An American thing?

Jenny

batyler65

My 12 YO says "cool". don't think any of my kids have ever said "neat-o".

maestrowork

Neato (that's how I spell it), I think, is an old American colloquialism spoken by Gen-X type (when they were younger?) My ex said that all the time: "Oh, that's neat. Neato!"

Incidentally, it's also the brand name of a CD labeling kit. They also spell it "Neato."

JuliePgh

I have an 8 year old. I've never heard him and his friends (including a few 9 year old) say Neato. Usually "cool" or as already suggested, incorporate "fart" terminology... that always goes over well and gets laughs (from the boys, that is)

stormie267

Neat-o is out. Way out. I think it's from the sixties. Now kids say, "sweet," "cool," "awesome," dude!" (yeah, "dude!" for "great"). "Cool" has survived the longest, I think.

wwwatcher

The also say this rocks, or that rocks. This is still "in" right?

Skim

Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I said neat-o while growing up in the 70s and 80s, but then again, I was in an isolated area. It's safe to say I won't use "neat-o in my manuscript."

Stephanie

Re: Thanks

I don't know - why not reintroduce it? Your character says "neato"! and his friend LOOKS at him and says "What's this--a flashback to the seventies?" General laughter and everybody starts saying it.

You know what I mean? I think dated phrases used by characters (as long as they're questioned initially) can be fun and also keeps your language current.

Gads!
:)

Sailor Kenshin

Re: Thanks

That sort of slang dates badly, though. Ever read something from previous eras? Twenty-three skidoo! So's your old man! Groovy!

Status
Not open for further replies.