PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding storyline...

Pamster
09-29-2008, 04:34 PM
I have a new idea for a book, the thing is it was previously a fan fiction, a good story but one I want to write on it's own merit, using my own characters, so my question is can I recycle the storyline as I'd like to? Have you ever done something like this? And do you think it will work. :)

I've been so far gone it's not even funny, been working on family life, trying to help my twelve year old kiddo into waking up, they say this age is special for kids with autism, and I am gonna get him a laptop computer. It KILLS me that as a writer I have to live with the knowledge that my son might never get to read one book or really understand what's I've written, yet I know he DOES understand every word said to him....

Another thing I am trying something different with this storyline, I have seven novels now. This will be the first where disability won't be playing a major role....There are no disabled characters in this story. Hmmmm, just as I think that I think about making the little sister have a problem. Oh well, I'll think about it, part of me wants to have the protag's 16 yr old sister have something wrong and part of me doesn't, so far the doesn't has won...

So back to the story, what do you think? Hope you've all been well, I know it's going to take awhile to get back in the swing of things, I took a long break, heck I don't even know how long it was, but the thing is I knew I could come 'home' here, get a lick off the almighty pants of Ray's (Chocolate Mod Pants) and get some healthy writing advice on my new direction....Take care & thanks for reading! :D

ChaosTitan
09-29-2008, 06:43 PM
I have a new idea for a book, the thing is it was previously a fan fiction, a good story but one I want to write on it's own merit, using my own characters, so my question is can I recycle the storyline as I'd like to? Have you ever done something like this? And do you think it will work. :)

I haven't done it yet, but it probably depends on who deeply ingrained your plot is to the original universe in which the fanfic is set. If you can successfully remove your original characters and the plot from the OU, then you should be able to rewrite the story as completely original.

A teenage boy who discovers he has magical powers can translate into almost anything. Just make sure your plot doesn't hinge on him being sent away to a magic school and having a special scar, blah blah.

Pamster
09-29-2008, 06:53 PM
That sounds perfect!~ Just like how my train of thought led me to think about it too CT. Thanks so much for the validation. :D

ChaosTitan
09-29-2008, 06:54 PM
:D

Pamster
09-29-2008, 06:57 PM
I see only three people have FFC'd this morning, I just was too wiped and focused on this logic about what I want to do and can it be done without being done wrong....Thanks for taking a minute to let me know you could see it working. That means a lot ChaosTitan. :D

ETA, I just love your quotable from Clue, totally hysterical! :D

Claudia Gray
09-29-2008, 08:02 PM
I agree with ChaosTitan. Although I haven't done it myself, I do know of people who have taken concepts from fanfic and turned them into novels, some of which made it to publication. If your great story idea isn't completely interwoven with the fandom you originally set it in and/or can be adapted to truly stand on its own, with your own characters, I say go for it.

Pamster
09-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks Claudia! I have hope this will be one good novel! :D So glad others have been doing it too and doing it right, as in right enough to see publication in some cases. :D Thanks for posting! :D

Pamster
09-30-2008, 05:50 AM
It's not going to be easy, but I think that it will be worth doing. Anyone else think this could fly? I have another question, the abuse of a parent, is that overdone in this day and age? Does it not fly anymore to have an alcoholic father and a mother more concerned with her daughter then her son?

They don't live together, the son is stuck with the dad while the daughter is with the mother in another town. I want the protag to already know the love interest and to find he has more in common with her then just hair color. ;) Also on the opening, I wanted it to be a lot like the opening in the fic, I am rewriting it of course, but it's okay, right to use some of the same words? Just in a different light...

ChaosTitan
10-01-2008, 03:34 AM
I see only three people have FFC'd this morning, I just was too wiped and focused on this logic about what I want to do and can it be done without being done wrong....Thanks for taking a minute to let me know you could see it working. That means a lot ChaosTitan. :D

ETA, I just love your quotable from Clue, totally hysterical! :D

:Hug2: Glad to help, hon.

Phoebe H
10-01-2008, 04:56 AM
Oh yes! It's called "filing off the serial numbers." I have a story circulating now that was originally a character background story for one of my MMORPG characters. What you have to figure out is if there are ideas unique to that setting that are integral parts of the story. If there are, you might have problems, but if the fan-fic portions function more as instant background flavor, you'll probably be able to sanitize it pretty easily.

Now if only I could do something with that 200 line epic poem I wrote delving into that world's mythology...

Pamster
10-02-2008, 04:07 PM
:Hug2: Glad to help, hon.

Thanks so much, you definitely DID help! :Hug2:

Oh yes! It's called "filing off the serial numbers." I have a story circulating now that was originally a character background story for one of my MMORPG characters. What you have to figure out is if there are ideas unique to that setting that are integral parts of the story. If there are, you might have problems, but if the fan-fic portions function more as instant background flavor, you'll probably be able to sanitize it pretty easily.

Now if only I could do something with that 200 line epic poem I wrote delving into that world's mythology...

It sounds like I can file off the serial numbers easily, it's basically a love story anyway, I don't NEED the anime' elements involved at all to make a good storyline IMO so I should be set. Now just to get it started, one page doesn't make a book, but it's the only start I got so far, hoping to get some writing done today. :D