PDA

View Full Version : Need help with motorcycle brand and year

OctoberRain
09-29-2008, 11:44 AM
For any motorcycle gurus out there, your opinions are needed!

This is one of my characters: Late 20's, part-time grad student, lives right in the city with his girlfriend in a shabby chic apartment. Hates Starbucks, works as a bartender, isn't struggling financially but by no means rich. I see him riding around the city (Seattle) in a motorcycle, weaving in and out of traffic to get to work and school.

The motorcycle is used, but well-maintained. It's summer, and I see him in a scruffy helmet, a vintage t-shirt and old jeans, riding around on the bike with a bit of death wish. He's into speed, not style.

What kind of of motorcycle is this? Brand, year?

Puma
09-29-2008, 01:43 PM
It's a crotch rocket. There are various brands. Puma

MelancholyMan
09-29-2008, 06:22 PM
It is a 2003 Ducati M620 Monster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducati_Monster)that he got from his uncle after he died from cancer. Now that's what I'm talking about. SICK!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/Ducati_Monster_620_Dark.jpg

Homewrecker
09-29-2008, 07:53 PM
I'm not a fan of the crotch rocket (V-Star owner) but I must concur with the above postings. Your character rides a crotch rocket.

Cheers!

OctoberRain
09-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Uh... is that Ducati above considered a crotch rocket?

I seriously know nothing about motorcycles. But it kinda looks like what I had in mind.

What could he buy for less than $5000?

MelancholyMan
10-01-2008, 06:36 AM
Uh... is that Ducati above considered a crotch rocket?

I seriously know nothing about motorcycles. But it kinda looks like what I had in mind.

What could he buy for less than $5000?

Yes, that is a crotch rocket. It's just not a rice rocket. Ducati is Italian.

He could not buy this bike for $5,000.

Go to eBay and search on motorcycles. Find one for around $5,000 and use that. Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki doesn't matter. Don't spend so much time agonizing about small details like this. Make the decision and move on. And if it is going to be a significant part of your story, you better educate yourself or it isn't going to ring true.

Williebee
10-01-2008, 07:09 AM
Your answer is going to depend upon whether or not your character is a "motorhead", someone who works on his own bike, and loves them.

There are a number of opportunities to buy a "bike in a box" from a swap meet for 3-5 grand and build it into something cool. A number of old Harley's (Knuckleheads, Panhead, 60-69 Sportsters) running around today are those kind of bikes.

Good luck!

Ziljon
10-01-2008, 07:22 AM
Just say Ninja (Kawaski). They're ubiquitious, fast, cheap, and non-descript. A Ducati is a bit fashionable. Anyway, it should be a bike with a simple and recognizable name, you don't want to be saying 'he jumped on his Suzuki GSX-550" when you could just as easily say 'he jumped on his Ninja and popped a wheely."

Now, there's another way you could take it. He could have purchased a used highway patrol bike (like I did) and so tools around town on his "police bike." The advantage for him (though I never use it) is that if he wears a simple white helmet and a blue (or green) windbreaker, cars will just part before him like he's Moses. ;)

MelancholyMan
10-01-2008, 10:55 PM
How about a Vespa? He'd be totally BA!!!
http://www.modernvespa.com/pix/uploads/vespa_stripes_197.jpg
Looks like he's speeding just standing there, what with all those racing stripes.
And he absolutely must wear yellow goggles...

DISCLAIMER: That is NOT me.

Barb D
10-02-2008, 02:07 AM
My husband (who rides a '76 Honda 750 Four) says that while I was reading this he pictured a 60's era Triumph.

ETA: He says if the guy is into speed, maybe a Yamaha VMax.

Cory Emberson
12-21-2008, 05:58 AM
How about an early 70s Norton Commando? English, start it on your right side, so your character can have a tricky right knee from that. It's a beautiful bike, fast as anything, and there's always something to work on.

Captshady
12-21-2008, 07:35 AM
I agree with the Ninja posts.