Maturity is overrated...

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
So my 11 year old son just got jumped by a neighborhood bully who outweighs him by at least 50lbs. My hubby had a momentary lapse of maturity and told the bully that he was going to pay a bigger kid to beat the crap out of him. Ok, not smart but if felt damned good to say. However, as it was witnessed by 3 other adults hubby did the mature/adult thing and went to the kid's house to talk to the mother and apologize. Darn.

So when was the last time *you* did something immature? Was it worth it?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I'm sure I've been immature since this point, but towards the end of my year in China I was getting seriously pissed off at having people harass me and take my photograph everywhere I went. One day, I tried to get away from it all by going on a solo mountain climb. Of course there were people there, too, and they started taking photos. Most people would do this without my permission - from a distance or pretend to be taking a photo of a friend and switch to me as I walked by. So I decided I could play that game. I started watching, waiting until their finger was pressing down on the shutter button... and then I'd make some hideous face, tongue stuck out, etc. A lot of Chinese tourists went home that day with some very interesting photos.

And oh, yes, it was definitely worth it.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I took my mother to our city's overburdened and understaffed hospital emergency room back in April. After over an hour of sitting in the waiting room my mother started crying from the pain she was in. I went to the nurse at the ER's receptionist desk and started to calmly insist that my mother be seen right away. But the nurse said the ER was really backed up and that my mother would just have to wait.

So I lost my temper and pulled a full blown Shirley MacLaine right there in the Emergency Room.

::ETA::

They took my mother into triage right away (less than two minutes later) and gave her a geurney to lie down upon with blankets. I sat with her in triage. We continued to wait several more hours before we could see an actual doctor, but at least she could lie down now and keep warm and get some sleep while she waited to be seen.

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Some kids down the block were pushing my son around. He came home and told us. So I leashed our 70 pound dalmatian and just "went for a walk." I walked down the alley and there were three kids sitting in front of a garage at the end of the alley. They saw me walking toward them, and I wasn't smiling. Not at all. In fact, my expression would be called purposeful. They saw me and suddenly got a case of the guilts and disappeared behind the garage.

I walked to the garage and stood there for a while until they decided I must have left. They came around the corner and saw me and Cobie and started walking swiftly down the alley.

I started following. Looking purposeful. They broke into a run and ditched into some yards. I heard one say, "That dog is mean." Cobie is a pussycat.

So I walked past where they'd gone to hide and kept going, but only a house or so and stopped. Waited. And they rewarded me by coming out to see where I was. I started walking in their direction again and they scattered.

This went on for probably about a half hour or so until I figured they'd had enough. Those kids haven't bothered my son since.

Mature? *shrugs* Made me happy.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
So my 11 year old son just got jumped by a neighborhood bully who outweighs him by at least 50lbs. My hubby had a momentary lapse of maturity and told the bully that he was going to pay a bigger kid to beat the crap out of him. Ok, not smart but if felt damned good to say. However, as it was witnessed by 3 other adults hubby did the mature/adult thing and went to the kid's house to talk to the mother and apologize. Darn.

So when was the last time *you* did something immature? Was it worth it?

Being mature is understanding when it is acceptable to be childish.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After I quit a spectacularly rotten job, I gathered up all the magazine and newspaper subscription cards I could find at the library and sent several dozen subscriptions to my former supervisor. At his work address. All marked "bill me later". Including an industry journal that was $125.00 a year at the time.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
After I quit a spectacularly rotten job, I gathered up all the magazine and newspaper subscription cards I could find at the library and sent several dozen subscriptions to my former supervisor. At his work address. All marked "bill me later". Including an industry journal that was $125.00 a year at the time.

YOU'RE THE ONE WHO DID THAT!?

Ageless Stranger

Dave Brubeck kicks your ass.
Registered
Reaction score
A week ago I walked into McDonalds, and asked them where the nearest Pizza Hut was. I then proceeded to go to Pizza Hut (which was only across the road, as I knew full well) and purchase a large, deep pan, pepperoni pizza. I then returned to McDonalds, sat down and ate it. The staff have experience with me, so they just all looked on with a certain hatred and longing. But in my defence I only did it because a two weeks prior, I caught a glimpse of one of them spitting into a burger. Now it wasn't mine, but it damn well could have been.

But then, I spend nearly all my days being immature.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Well, on my last day as the admin/peon in the HR department of a hyoouge computer company some years ago, I swapped out the good bulb in the overhead projector with a burned-out one I'd found - just before our totally inept manager was to give a new hire orientation. She thought I was too dumb to even turn the projector on, much less find the bulb, so she never suspected a thing. She pretty much had a meltdown before I fetched one of the two guys in the department to come and put a new bulb in it for her...

Yeah, I'm evil. Nowadays I'd confine my revenge to finding a better job, which I already had, BTW. :)