Snowmobile tracks

Chrisla

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I want to create a scene where somebody in a snowmobile supposedly grabs a person from a forest track. I can't use a car, because all the roads are closed. Is that possible? Can two people fit into a snowmobile? I've never seen one. I don't know what snowmobile tracks look like, or how quickly they'd be covered by new snow. Or, for that matter, how much they'd cover of other tracks.

Can anybody help? Or is this just a bad idea?

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Yes, snowmobiles can hold two people, similar to a motorcycle seat. It's a long single seat where the rider in back usually holds onto the rider in front.

The tracks are caterpillars like a bulldozer, but only one track since there's just the one tread. There's also the skis on the front, which create a parallel set of lines running outside the tread marks from the caterpillar track.

They wouldn't be 'in' a snowmobile, but they'd be 'on' it. It's open air, no covering. (Least none I've ever seen. Google snowmobile pics and you'll see what I'm talking about.) They're noisy, and whily concievably a rider could grab someone, it'd be difficult and they'd have a hard time driving, especially if the grabbed person doesn't want to stay grabbed.

This idea may not work as you have planned.

But google some pix of snowmobiles and see if you can alter your idea.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Snowmobiles have runners, kind of like sleds. The specific kind of runner would depend on the kind of snowmobile: trail, cross country, mountain, racing, touring or utility. Snowmobiles are kinda like a motorcycle for snow.

Yes, there are 2-seater snowmobiles and I think it'd be possible for someone to ride on the back of a 1-seater but in either case, your character'd have be be able to hold on.

Snowmobiles can go very fast. There are towns in snowmobile country that have snowmobile trails in town and towns that allow snowmobiles on the streets. In northern Minnesota, it's the habit of some riders to go from bar to bar on their snowmobiles, getting progressively drunker as the evening goes on. Sometimes they kill themselves by running into fences, other snowmobiles or trees. Some like to try to ride across the ice, going over small stretches of open water to ice on the other sides. These people are known as 'idiots'. Many times, their snowmobiles end up at the bottom of a lake.

How fast a snowmobile track would be covered by snow depends on how hard it's snowing.

To look at snowmobiles:
http://www.tracksideinc.com/new_veh...anufacturer=14&Category=3&CatDesc=Snowmobiles

Last edited:

Chrisla

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Clair and StephanieFox. It sounds like it's one of those ideas I need to toss. I'm just in the initial stages on this story. I have a bright idea and am trying to work out various scenarios. I'll dump a lot more of them before I have it worked out enough in my head to start writing. Beats writing a lot of pages, then finding out it won't work.

Thanks so much!

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to take the time for a good read, try John Sandford's Winter Prey. It takes place in northern Wisconsin & Minnesota in the dead of Winter. There's lots of snowmobile action in that one.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can also tow a little cargo holder sled-type thing behind a snowmobile (sorry i don't know the official name for it. My friends have one and it's definitely big enough to fit a medium-sized person. your character could subdue someone and toss them back there and carry them off.

the tracks a snowmobile makes aren't very deep. in a heavy snowfall they could be covered in a few hours. in a snowstorm it could take less than an hour.