PDA

View Full Version : Help me crush my mother's numerology obsession.

Bartholomew
09-28-2008, 10:44 PM
My mother is an enigma. In one breath, she can decry Christianity because it's "all superstitious bunk." In the next, she can say that three is a mystic number that the universe centers around.

She took the phrases:

God is love
God is light
God is spirit

Assigned each letter a numerical value, and then manipulated the final number until it divided by three. She wouldn't believe that it was anything less that proof positive that the number three is special. I told her, "If it's some sort of universal truth, you could do it in Spanish and get the same thing."

Dios es amor
Dios es luz
Dios es espíritu

The numerical values were all different--so she solved for X to get something that would divide by or into 3, and LO AND BEHOLD, found the number three lurking just beyond perceptible reality.

AUGH.

It's like being stuck with Jim Carrey in The Number 23.

So I tried to show her that the number 23 does fun things too, that it's a coincidence. She said it was just a silly coincidence. But then said that 3 does these things because it is holy.

She tried to say that the bible centers around #3 -- Jesus rose from the dead in 3 days, God has 3 aspects-- (But earlier, Christianity is all superstition, remember.) So I point out that there are 10 commandments, far more than three books in the bible, and that I could take things within it and group them however I saw fit. (My mind is just closed.)

She tried to do the same thing with Buddhism. The triple gem. I counter, "FOUR noble truths. EIGHTFOLD path. She says, 8 + 4 = 12. 12/4 = 3.

And when I point out that, in pure math, 3 has no special significance, she tunes me out. (It isn't the natural log. It isn't pi. It isn't e. etc.)

And people all die in 3's, you know. Especially when you don't have any sort of time limit that they have to die within to satisfy the rule.

AUGGGHHHHHHH.

rugcat
09-28-2008, 10:46 PM
Try again.

Third time's the charm

Bartholomew
09-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Try again.

Third time's the charm

Come clean the brains off my walls. You made my head pop.

Rolling Thunder
09-28-2008, 10:53 PM
And your post made number three...

TsukiRyoko
09-28-2008, 10:54 PM
My great grandma was the same way with numberology. It's true that 3 is regarded as a special number, especialy in many religions, but using math to find whatever higher spirit's out there has never been my thing. After all, I failed math class :)

Edit- this is the 5th post. 5-2=3. Coincidence? I think not.

astonwest
09-28-2008, 10:55 PM
Isn't 23 supposed to be the number by which all things revolve? I thought I saw a movie on that...

Bartholomew
09-28-2008, 11:01 PM
And that was the 6th post. Divide by 2.

Good lord, this is a vicious circle.

Ageless Stranger
09-28-2008, 11:04 PM
"Help me crush my mother's numerology obsession."

Why not;

Help me three my mother from her numerology obsession?

Oh I am a whimsical soul.

TsukiRyoko
09-28-2008, 11:04 PM

Good lord, this is a vicious circle.
And what's the mathmatical association to circles? Pi, which is 3.14. *3* point 14. Vicious indeed.

Bartholomew
09-28-2008, 11:11 PM
And what's the mathmatical association to circles? Pi, which is 3.14. *3* point 14. Vicious indeed.

3.14 isn't 3 unless you subtract (Pi-3). So I'm safe if I stick with Pi.

TsukiRyoko
09-28-2008, 11:12 PM
There were three 3's in your last post. :)

joyce
09-28-2008, 11:13 PM
.......and you have three words in your signature.:D

Ageless Stranger
09-28-2008, 11:14 PM

What kind? Apple or cherry? Or perhaps chicken?

TsukiRyoko
09-28-2008, 11:17 PM
What kind? Apple or cherry? Or perhaps chicken?
3 kinds of pies. God is with us.

Bartholomew
09-28-2008, 11:21 PM
.......and you have three words in your signature.:D

I have 16, actually. And it is blissfully undivisible by 3.

Ageless Stranger
09-28-2008, 11:22 PM
3 kinds of pies. God is with us.

Or perhaps a pie consisting of three different flavours?

Shadow_Ferret
09-28-2008, 11:30 PM
But numerology isn't superstition. It's based on numbers. Therefore it's mathematical, scientific.

And just remember this, One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do
Two can be as bad as one
It's the loneliest number since the number one

And three's a crowd.

maxmordon
09-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Is your mother related to the Freemason? my uncle is one and has explained to me that they believe that 3 is basically the base of the whole universe and the representation of perfection since, for example, the triangle is the most resistent figure and has three sides with three angle and there are 3 physical dimensions (lenght, width and depth) and there is the hypotesis that this 3 obsesion comes from the time where they were only 3 jobs: Warriors, Farmers and Priests or the divisions of the world (for example: when Chronos was defeated by his sons, they divided they realms as land, sea and underworld respectively) though even all of this can be a coincidence and 3 just happens to be the smallest number that there can be a group, it's interesting nonetheless

And yes, the secret handshakes are also based on three.

astonwest
09-28-2008, 11:44 PM
Indeed...2 x 3.
Spooky!

maxmordon
09-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Hey! We live in the third planet from the sun! and the three continental masses are America, Eurasia and Africa!

Shadow_Ferret
09-28-2008, 11:51 PM
And three strikes and you're out. Three out's to an inning. 9 innings, which can be divided by 3 to get THREE!

Spooky.

maxmordon
09-28-2008, 11:53 PM
...And there are 3 meals in a day, and the stooges 3 were, and James Dean only made 3 movies...

Ageless Stranger
09-28-2008, 11:55 PM
...And there are 3 meals in a day, and the stooges 3 were, and James Dean only made 3 movies...

And I want to write a trilogy!

And the Lord Of The Rings, one of the greatest set of films ever, is a trilogy!

These pesky coincidences keep adding up.

C A Winters
09-28-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm the 3rd daugter of the 3rd clan Thirdupee. I was born on the 3rd day of the 3rd month, in the 3rd century--and I have been re-incarnated 33 times. Yes, I can say there is something to the number 3.:gone:

Shadow_Ferret
09-29-2008, 12:01 AM
.. and the stooges 3 were,
And Replacements for Curly numbered 3.

willfulone
09-29-2008, 12:02 AM
How did your mother assign her numerical values in her examples? For, if she added all the statements together (simple numerology) and got her number, her math is not flawed. For there are 30 letters in those three statements when combined. In numerology the sum is addition of the whole of the numbers or letters (simplistically speaking - basic numerology - there are other levels). Thus 30 = 3 + 0 to get three in numerology. However, one is not to string a bunch of statements together to get the numeric meaning in such a wide berth. Basic numerology is "finding" a number (or numeric value for intrepretation) as applies to a given, not a bunch of givens to manipulate the outcome. Thus, her application is just a manipulation (as you stated) to get what she wants from it.

God is love = 9; the numeric number for this statement is 9 - the value is nine and it is 9 in numerology
God is light = 10; the numberic number for this statement is 1 - the value is one in numerology 1 + 0 = 1
God is spirit = 11; the numeric number for this statement is 11 for that is one of the double digit applications in numerology.

I can take and manipulate all those things to get any set of result I wish in numerology by applying other principles of it. But, the basic principle of numerology is addition to get to a single digit (1-9) or to 11 or 22. Application of numbers to assign meaning (in simple single digit number form) to a simple thing. My dob is 1964, my number (based on that only) in numerology is 1 + 9 + 6 + 4 = 20. Since numerology is based on single digits 1 - 9 and 11 and 22, and this example does not come to 11 or 22, I must combine the two together to get a result to "find" a numerology result. Thus, I must add the two digits to get my number 2 + 0 = 2.

So, show her that each statement is NOT a product to three and tell her why. See if she can explain it to you then.

Good luck!

Christine

regdog
09-29-2008, 12:11 AM
3 hmmm

well Avatar had 3 books
there were 3 blind mice
there were 3 men in the tub
you could have divided the 12 Disciples into 3 even groups

Ageless Stranger
09-29-2008, 12:12 AM
Bartholomew is going to fall into a coma at this rate.

Bartholomew
09-29-2008, 12:24 AM
LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR ANY OF YOU LA LA LA.

###

How did your mother assign her numerical values in her examples? For, if she added all the statements together (simple numerology) and got her number, her math is not flawed. For there are 30 letters in those three statements when combined. In numerology the sum is addition of the whole of the numbers or letters (simplistically speaking - basic numerology - there are other levels). Thus 30 = 3 + 0 to get three in numerology. However, one is not to string a bunch of statements together to get the numeric meaning in such a wide berth. Basic numerology is "finding" a number (or numeric value for intrepretation) as applies to a given, not a bunch of givens to manipulate the outcome. Thus, her application is just a manipulation (as you stated) to get what she wants from it.

God is love = 9; the numeric number for this statement is 9 - the value is nine and it is 9 in numerology
God is light = 10; the numberic number for this statement is 1 - the value is one in numerology 1 + 0 = 1
God is spirit = 11; the numeric number for this statement is 11 for that is one of the double digit applications in numerology.

I can take and manipulate all those things to get any set of result I wish in numerology by applying other principles of it. But, the basic principle of numerology is addition to get to a single digit (1-9) or to 11 or 22. Application of numbers to assign meaning (in simple single digit number form) to a simple thing. My dob is 1964, my number (based on that only) in numerology is 1 + 9 + 6 + 4 = 20. Since numerology is based on single digits 1 - 9 and 11 and 22, and this example does not come to 11 or 22, I must combine the two together to get a result to "find" a numerology result. Thus, I must add the two digits to get my number 2 + 0 = 2.

So, show her that each statement is NOT a product to three and tell her why. See if she can explain it to you then.

Good luck!

Christine

Except for you. I'll show her that. She was adding the numerical value of the individual letters together to get numbers that came out to be manipulatable by three. It wasn't simple, like yours.

Williebee
09-29-2008, 12:30 AM
Bart, none of this matters.

She's your Mom. Smile, be agreeable, and cherish each disagreeable moment. You only get X number of them.

Got it? Good.

maxmordon
09-29-2008, 12:32 AM
Adding the numerical value to letters is amazingly vague. Considering that Ç is a letter by their own in French and Portuguese and Ñ in Spanish and let not start with the Cyrric Alphabet.

Also, the number of letters in God's name is amazingly vague. It's only that short because is a simple, easy to remember word as they are on common things (water, fire, house, dad, meal, etc.) and in my expirience is a bit more common found it in four letters (Spanish, French, Latin, German, Greek, etc.)

Don
09-29-2008, 12:33 AM
And three's a crowd.
Or a really good time for whoever's in the middle. :D

rugcat
09-29-2008, 12:38 AM
She's your Mom. Smile, be agreeable, and cherish each disagreeable moment. You only get X number of them.But that number is always divisible by three.

Bartholomew
09-29-2008, 12:38 AM
Bart, none of this matters.

She's your Mom. Smile, be agreeable, and cherish each disagreeable moment. You only get X number of them.

Got it? Good.

Yeah. :-/

Bartholomew
09-29-2008, 12:39 AM
But that number is always divisible by three.

I'm going to throw spoons at you until you cease to exist.

Komnena
09-29-2008, 12:42 AM
And here I thought 42 was the ultimate answer.

shakeysix
09-29-2008, 12:50 AM
3 is the mystical number? what a bunch of bunk. everyone knows it is six!--s6

willfulone
09-29-2008, 01:14 AM
LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR ANY OF YOU LA LA LA.

###

Except for you. I'll show her that. She was adding the numerical value of the individual letters together to get numbers that came out to be manipulatable by three. It wasn't simple, like yours.

The numbers are not to be manipulated, they are simple, basic, pure. The result is the result - just like first grade math. If one does not like the result, manipulation is not the key. Asking another question is or finding another example to review is. She can ADD the numerical value of individual letters to get her numbers, but if she is to apply numerology as it is intended, then she must apply the accepted numerology numbers to her letters. In her case, her numbers still are flawed and you will see that the "simple" example I gave nets the same results in the same manner I gave you when assigning the numeric values to the letters of the alphabet. The numbers are static in numerology even the ones assigned to alphabet.
1 is for A/J/S
2 is for B/K/T
3 is for C/L/U
4 is for D/M/V
5 is for E/N/W
6 is for F/O/X
7 is for G/P/Y
8 is for H/Q/Z
9 is for I/R

G o d i s l o v e
7 6 4 9 1 3 6 4 5 = 45 (not a master number 11 or 22) 4 + 5 =9 the value in numerology is 9

G o d i s l i g h t
7 6 4 9 1 3 9 7 8 2 = 56 (not a master) thus 5 + 6 = 11 (master number) stands as 11

G o d i s s p i r i t
7 6 4 9 1 1 7 9 9 9 2 = 64 (not a master) thus 6 + 4 = 10 STILL not a master, thus 1 + 0 = 1.

Now while the numbers have changed by taking a more indepth numerology level, the outcome is still the same. These statements do not come to three, they do not mean three or any thing like it.

And, it is a small thing to let her have her notions. They are calming to people. Especially since she is finding and seeing the grand and the good in stuff, it may not be worth it to be "right". But, if you wish to show her application for the sake of truth. You have your proof.

Bartholomew
09-29-2008, 02:18 AM
Weird. An IR (9 + 9) missile would have a value of 18, which would go to 1 + 8, which would still be 9.

What's the practical application of this stuff, anyway? Divination? Finding patterns? Coding? It's neat, but I can't see what it's for.

My deleted post was only explaining that my mother had a different system from you--when I saw you already realized this, my post became pointless, so I deleted it.

Cheers,

-B

Beach Bunny
09-29-2008, 02:38 AM
There are two questions to ask yourself regarding your mother's obsession with numerology.
1. Is she hurting herself?
2. Is she hurting others?
If the answer to both of these questions is no, then let it go. As long as she is neither hurting herself nor others, then I see no reason to fight with her over this. In fact, it would probably better to correct her misinterpretation of how to do a numerological analysis. If she's going to do, then she might as well do it correctly. :)

In many religions, three is a sacred number. She go to that in a goofy way. But, in the normal course of one's everyday life that "fact" doesn't play a huge role. Now, if your mom starts to do weird things with the number three, like only answering the phone after the third ring or driving around the parking lot three times before she parks her car, then you have a cause for concern about her mental health.

There are a lot of strange and interesting things in the world that can't be explained by math, science, or logic. There might be some truth in numerology. There might not. :Shrug: Who knows. I certainly don't. :)

willfulone
09-29-2008, 03:40 AM
Weird. An IR (9 + 9) missile would have a value of 18, which would go to 1 + 8, which would still be 9.

What's the practical application of this stuff, anyway? Divination? Finding patterns? Coding? It's neat, but I can't see what it's for.

My deleted post was only explaining that my mother had a different system from you--when I saw you already realized this, my post became pointless, so I deleted it.

Cheers,

-B

There may not be practical application to some. To others, it holds great meaning. People use numbers as a pure form of getting a result that is absolute in things like math and economics, statistics, etc. Well, events are related to numbers as well. Everything has a number associated with it. Even if it is only a unit of one. Even a screw has the number of threads on it, etc. Well, some people who wish to make sense of things that cannot be explained will try to apply the use of numbers as a way to see things, give them meaning or to explain something that cannot be. People who are not looking for such meanings will do so also, for they are data minded. There is not a set person type that believes in numerology. It is just one of those things that either you do or you don't. But, since numbers are associated with everything and numbers are collectable data (as opposed to being able to properly measure a subjective thing like an emotional response) it is easy to find relational support for anything you wish with numbers when dealing in the arena your mother was touching on. A pattern of numerical information shows and intrepretation is made and the numbers then "mean" something based upon theory and what the numbers gave once crunched. Enough occurance and evidence of certain number patterns repeating and then the numbers have taken on and are given meaning in words. It is like anything else. You can find data to support the notion and you can find data to debunk it.

BenPanced
09-29-2008, 03:52 AM
Proof positive of the magic qualities of the number 3! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxmKRyLdBho)

JustJess
09-29-2008, 04:59 AM
I also have a mother who is interested in numerology (and palmistry) however she is also a Born Again Christian-go figure. I've paid a price for this as a vulnerable and easily influenced pregnant woman I actually listened to her when she said that the name I wanted to use for my daughter was numerologically (?) unlucky, but to make it better all I had to do was add another b....and that's why my daughter is named Tabbitha instead of Tabitha...sigh. I feel your frustration.

Siddow
09-29-2008, 05:09 AM
Hey! 3 is a magical number. I wake up at night at 3:33, more often than not, and I was born at 3:33.

I'm a big fan of numerology. Don't knock your mother!

Gehanna
09-29-2008, 06:24 AM
I usually gotta do number one first thing in the morning. Number two comes along when the urge hits me. Shall I continue on to number three?

LOL,
Gehanna

Bartholomew
09-29-2008, 06:50 AM
I usually gotta do number one first thing in the morning. Number two comes along when the urge hits me. Shall I continue on to number three?

LOL,
Gehanna

All the colors of Christmas.

Yeshanu
09-29-2008, 07:45 AM
*sigh* You guys are all out to lunch.

Everyone knows that the answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42. Yes, it's divisible by three, but then, so is every third positive number...

BenPanced
09-29-2008, 09:40 AM
*sigh*

Irrational numbers never get an even break.

Get it? Numbers? Even? Oh, shut up.

Bartholomew
09-29-2008, 10:25 AM
e and i were having an argument. i shouted to e, "be rational!"

and e shouted back, "get real!"

... badabump, tish!

Joe270
09-29-2008, 10:47 AM
And the Lord spoke, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shalt be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out! Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thou foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

Your mom might have something here. Where's III, anyway? Shouldn't he comment on this thread?

NeuroFizz
09-29-2008, 04:02 PM
She'll have an inside track for choosing the numbers for that other form of numeric mysticism--buying lotto tickets.

Carole
09-29-2008, 04:02 PM
My mother is an enigma. In one breath, she can decry Christianity because it's "all superstitious bunk." In the next, she can say that three is a mystic number that the universe centers around.

She took the phrases:

God is love
God is light
God is spirit

Assigned each letter a numerical value, and then manipulated the final number until it divided by three. She wouldn't believe that it was anything less that proof positive that the number three is special. I told her, "If it's some sort of universal truth, you could do it in Spanish and get the same thing."

Dios es amor
Dios es luz
Dios es espíritu

The numerical values were all different--so she solved for X to get something that would divide by or into 3, and LO AND BEHOLD, found the number three lurking just beyond perceptible reality.

AUGH.

It's like being stuck with Jim Carrey in The Number 23.

So I tried to show her that the number 23 does fun things too, that it's a coincidence. She said it was just a silly coincidence. But then said that 3 does these things because it is holy.

She tried to say that the bible centers around #3 -- Jesus rose from the dead in 3 days, God has 3 aspects-- (But earlier, Christianity is all superstition, remember.) So I point out that there are 10 commandments, far more than three books in the bible, and that I could take things within it and group them however I saw fit. (My mind is just closed.)

She tried to do the same thing with Buddhism. The triple gem. I counter, "FOUR noble truths. EIGHTFOLD path. She says, 8 + 4 = 12. 12/4 = 3.

And when I point out that, in pure math, 3 has no special significance, she tunes me out. (It isn't the natural log. It isn't pi. It isn't e. etc.)

And people all die in 3's, you know. Especially when you don't have any sort of time limit that they have to die within to satisfy the rule.

AUGGGHHHHHHH.
Is she harming herself, you or anyone else? If not, dude - be happy she has a hobby. Mine doesn't. I wish she did. 'Nuf said.

TsukiRyoko
09-29-2008, 04:21 PM

Cheers,

-B I use numberology for making glyphs and such, but they can be used in stuff like divination if you're adept enough (or interested enough) to do it. Numberology is fun, but even though I use the practice for religious purposes, I hold no true religious values behind the numbers, just the patterns and meanings they can lead to.

Pagey's_Girl
09-29-2008, 05:18 PM
She'll have an inside track for choosing the numbers for that other form of numeric mysticism--buying lotto tickets.

Don't go there. I used to work with a woman who spent all freaking day running across the street to play her "Scratchie Numbers." Which wouldn't have been so bad if my job didn't depend on her being there to do her job, rather than being over at City Drug buying "Scratchies."

42 may be the answer, but I prefer 17. After all I was born seventeen days after my parents' seventeenth anniversary - on May 17th - so it seems that seventeen is a very good number for me, indeed.

And BTW, those Freemasons are indeed a secretive bunch. My father was one and I never found out until after he died.

Shadow_Ferret
09-29-2008, 05:39 PM
To be honest, my mother subscribes to all this numerology New Age thinking, too.

I let her. I figure she's been around long enough to make her own decisions. And if it makes her happy, what right do I have to screw that up?

Now if I find out she's sending her life's savings to one of these quacks, then I'll step in.

Disa
09-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Numerology is fun and can be spiritually enlightening. I say let her have her fun.

42 may be the answer, but I prefer 17. After all I was born seventeen days after my parents' seventeenth anniversary - on May 17th - so it seems that seventeen is a very good number for me, indeed.

And BTW, those Freemasons are indeed a secretive bunch. My father was one and I never found out until after he died.

1+7=8, so maybe it's 8 that should be a good number for you ;)

Yep, my 2nd dad was a Freemason, too. I found out at his funeral.

Bartholomew
09-29-2008, 10:07 PM
Freemasonry confuses me. They invited me to join because my grandfather was involved---and then we >ERK<

/dead