Web designers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnB1988

Registered
Reaction score
I bet this has been discussed a few time, but search isn’t being helpful. I’d like to set up a small--but open to being owner expanded--website. I’m discovering that finding a good designer from all the choices Goggle presents really overwhelming--and expensive! Does anyone know of a “clearing house” site for people who do such work? I guess I’m looking for someone below the, I work with fortune five hundred corporations, but above the “fill in the blanks” on a template program.

I’ve worked a bit (maybe not enough) with Namo web editor 2006, but I find that getting it to do anything beyond its, “insert compressed picture of the grandkids here,” results in humongous file sizes that make for a clunky site. (My propose site will be picture intense, some of which will need to be large and detailed.)

Thanks, John

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
If the pictures are huge, then it's not so much the web program but the picture size. Use a picture editor to make them more managable for web viewing. Windows has a built in version with the Picture Manager, but there are plenty of others, including GIMP which is a freeware sort of Photoshop.

That doesn't quite answer your question, but that's all I really have. I just use wordpress. It's pretty easy and fairly customizable. But it too won't take ginormous pictures.

spacekadet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.monicashaw.com
Can you give us a better idea of what exactly you want to put in your website? What do you want to achieve? Maybe send us some examples of websites you like that you'd like to emulate?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I bet this has been discussed a few time, but search isn’t being helpful. I’d like to set up a small--but open to being owner expanded--website. I’m discovering that finding a good designer from all the choices Goggle presents really overwhelming--and expensive! Does anyone know of a “clearing house” site for people who do such work? I guess I’m looking for someone below the, I work with fortune five hundred corporations, but above the “fill in the blanks” on a template program.

I’ve worked a bit (maybe not enough) with Namo web editor 2006, but I find that getting it to do anything beyond its, “insert compressed picture of the grandkids here,” results in humongous file sizes that make for a clunky site. (My propose site will be picture intense, some of which will need to be large and detailed.)

Thanks, John
There's tradeoffs on pictures, not just the size (larger always makes for bigger files and slower to load - the person either waits (a long time if on dialup!), or you can put a smaller pic with a "click to show larger pic" link), but also with the compression. You can make ugly-looking pictures that load fast or wonderfully detailed pictures that load slow.
Here's an article, though it gets overly technical:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jpg
When you get to the point reading that where your mind begins to wander off at not knowing anything about what it's saying, scroll down to "Effects of JPEG Compression" and look at the photograph(s), and compare the visual quality with the size. Load time is about inversely proportional to file size, so "medium quality" loads almost ten times as fast as "Full Quality."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jpg#Effects_of_JPEG_compression

If the pictures are huge, then it's not so much the web program but the picture size. Use a picture editor to make them more managable for web viewing. Windows has a built in version with the Picture Manager, but there are plenty of others, including GIMP which is a freeware sort of Photoshop.
Gimp has a big learning curve (has a reputation as a hard-to-learn program), though if you're serious about doing picture manipulation, you should probably either learn that or its high-dollar commercial cousin Photoshop.
That doesn't quite answer your question, but that's all I really have. I just use wordpress. It's pretty easy and fairly customizable. But it too won't take ginormous pictures.
The OP may wish to read this thread:
Simple photo editing software?
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68479

Status
Not open for further replies.