A Dilemma

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
So, the Writers of the Future contest (at least for this year) ends this week. I had originally planned to write a fabulous new entry, send it in, and get it rejected from consideration (well, I wanted to win first prize for the year, but no sense in getting one's hopes up too much).

Trouble is, for various reasons, the fabulous new entry is still in process, and won't be done in time.

I have another story which I absolutely love, but it was previously published. The guidelines, however, state specific guidelines for what they consider "professionally published" which I'm certain don't apply to this story.

So, my dilemma is whether to go ahead and submit this other story, and hope (on the off chance that it actually wins a prize) no one gets concerned with the mere *possibility* that the site it was published at could have had 5000+ hits (I don't think there is a possibility, but...).

I guess another question I have, has anyone been around long enough to know whether the Writers of the Future contest runs year after year. If that's the case, perhaps I just wait until next quarter and submit my fabulous entry.

Thoughts?

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
Never go against the rules of a contest. Previously published is previously published. You already know your answer...you gave it in your post.

Don't do it. You'll feel horrid and look worse if you are found out.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I have another story which I absolutely love, but it was previously published. The guidelines, however, state specific guidelines for what they consider "professionally published" which I'm certain don't apply to this story.

I bolded the relevant sentence. If you are absolutely sure that the story has not been "professionally published" according to their guidelines, then go ahead and submit. Otherwise, don't do it.

Is the story currently up on the web site? If so, take it down ASAP to avoid any chance that the number of hits will exceed the guidelines.

That's just my thoughts on the matter.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
My trouble is whether or not the piece was "professionally" published. If they had simply stated previously published (without quantifying), I wouldn't have a dilemma ;-)

But I'll probably avoid any issue and just not submit the piece.

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
I was just reading the guidelines for an ezine that stated similar rules concerning previous publication. If it was not published on line, or anywhere where it would have had considerable readership. I had several stories published by my college's Lit Magazine. Although they were professionally done, I don't think those would qualify. I dkon't see anything wrong with asking to be sure, though. Let us know what they say aston.