Status
Not open for further replies.

euclid

Where did I put me specs?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
I was surprised to find no open thread for MS-word users.

Anyway, my problem is this:

I have just completed the first short draft of my WIP2. I wrote the book using MS-word 2003 in MS-Windows XP.

I wrote the book in 4 parts. Each part has about 12 chapters. Somehow, part 4 has US spellings, while parts 1 to 3 have UK spellings. I don't know how this came about. My question is this:

Is there any way that I can change the spell setting on Part 4 from US to UK? I have tried various things without success. For example, I have tried cutting and pasting the entire text of part 4 into a new file created from part 3.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, good question. I'd like to know the answer, too, for conversions going the other direction. Mind if I keep you company while we wait for somebody knowledgeable to come along?

Maryn, glad enough to sit by Orlando

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
I know this si a silly question, but you haven't accidentally swapped the default country setting's spelling, have you?

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Go to Spelling and Grammar Check.

When the dialogue box comes up, you'll notice a drop box for what language the dictionary is in. Make sure it has the form of English you want selected. Then recheck the document.

I don't know why it would have changed, but there are about a hundred different ways that something like that can accidently get altered. (one being that you started the doc on another computer, set to US English and it kept the settings in the doc information.)

Hope that does it for you.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
Pardon?

Go to Spelling and Grammar Check.

When the dialogue box comes up, you'll notice a drop box for what language the dictionary is in. Make sure it has the form of English you want selected. Then recheck the document.

I don't know why it would have changed, but there are about a hundred different ways that something like that can accidently get altered. (one being that you started the doc on another computer, set to US English and it kept the settings in the doc information.)

Hope that does it for you.

I tried that several times. When I click on grammar and spell check, Word picks up the first word it doesn't like, and tells me what dictionary APPLIES TO THAT WORD. If I change that, then the correct dictionary will apply TO THAT WORD, but not to the whole document. What do you mean by "recheck the document"?

:)

PS I have only one computer

Last edited:

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
That worked!

Okay-- sorry-- try this:
Select the document, (Ctrl-A for select All)
Go to Tools--> Language--> Set Language--> UK english

Does that work better?

Thanks a million, Clair/Bo. That worked. I had tried that before, of course, but not with select all.

So there you go Maryn. I hope it works for you too.

:)

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath
Is there a way to save a blank manuscript format in Microsoft Word so each time I want to start a new manuscript it will be set the way I want it? I also have Microsoft Office, but I never use it.
I need to learn my computer better.:Hammer:

I first posted this in Learn Writing with UJ, and got good answers, but wanted to give it a spot here, and see if anything was missed.

Clair Dickson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Is there a way to save a blank manuscript format in Microsoft Word so each time I want to start a new manuscript it will be set the way I want it? I also have Microsoft Office, but I never use it.
I need to learn my computer better.:Hammer:

I first posted this in Learn Writing with UJ, and got good answers, but wanted to give it a spot here, and see if anything was missed.

One way is to make a template. Set up the formatting the way you want (you may have to put in some basic starter or place holder information). Then Save as... TEMPLATE (instead of word doc.) When you open the template, it will be a new doc set up the way you want. Make sure that you save as a new doc, though, instead of updating your template to include your latest text!

The other way is to use Styles. See the little AA symbol? Click it. You can modify your styles to be.. double spaced, all caps, or however you want your formatting. YOu can create a new style, then set it up how you would need to (make more than one if you want). Set the formatting. Now, when you open a new doc, you can start typing, then apply the Styles.

You can test it with, say, Heading 1 by using the drop box next to the Format Styles "AA" button. Select your text, select Heading 1 and the text changes. You can then keep typing and it should (usually) keep the formatting of the style, if you start your cursor at the end of the words.

Try it. See which one works better for you. Styles stay saved with the Word settings, but template is new... well, template.

smsarber

Coming soon to a nightmare near you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep... Those little slices of Death. How I loath
Got it as 'save as... Template'. I am good to go. Thank you for the help. Now one more question: MS Office, or MS Word- what are the pro's and con's of both as related to the creative writer? I have both programs, but never use Office.

Clair Dickson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Got it as 'save as... Template'. I am good to go. Thank you for the help. Now one more question: MS Office, or MS Word- what are the pro's and con's of both as related to the creative writer? I have both programs, but never use Office.

Office is the suite of Miscrosoft Programs that includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook/Entourage. Office refers to the Bundle. Word is one part of the bundle.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
The programs in the Works suite are indeed a different set than MS Office. As near as I can tell it is a difference driven by marketing.

BTW, Way to go, Clair!

A note, Office 2K7 has a file converter that allows conversion and opening of Works files.

Oh, and Open Office is still free.

euclid

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjtoner.com
WillieBee: What is P&CE? I've been in AW since July, and I still don't know what it is.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
P&CE is Politics and Current Events. It's broken down into two sub-genre's, a "training camp" and "hardcore". Wander over and check out the "Stickies" at the top of the Training Camp. Like much of "the cooler" it's a good place to pick up knowledge and trade ideas.

And, if I haven't said so yet, Welcome to The Cooler!

Status
Not open for further replies.