PDA

View Full Version : [Agency] Adams Literary

MsJudy
09-27-2008, 07:23 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the agents at Adams Literary?

Their website:
http://www.adamsliterary.com/

They rep exclusively children's. Fairly new, about 4 years old, I think, but they have an impressive client list already.

But their submission policy is interesting. No queries of any form. They prefer 6-week-exclusive complete manuscript submissions! I haven't come across anyone else who does that. And because of the no-query policy, they come up on both agentquery and querytracker as being closed to unsolicited queries, but their website is quite clear that they aren't closed at all.

Just curious if anyone knows any more about them.

Appalachian Writer
09-27-2008, 07:35 AM
I don't know anything about Adams Literary, but I do shy away from the word "exclusive." I had one agent ask for an exclusive look at a manuscript, but I explained that other agents already had it in hand. She asked for what I'd call first option, and I agreed. She was prompt in her rejection. Good luck, whatever you decide to do. But again, think long and hard about six weeks without queries, etc.

MsJudy
09-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. My plan right now is to keep them on the list, but wait to submit until I've run out of other agencies to query. They don't actually require exclusives, but they do prefer them. And they take twice as long to reply if you don't submit exclusively.

One thing I wonder--if other agencies have partials of up to the first 3 chapters, but no one else has the full, is that an exclusive as long as I don't send anyone else a full until their 6 weeks are up? Or does "exclusive" mean any part of it?

scarlettgirl
12-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Does anyone have experience with this agency's response time on an exclusive? Their website says six weeks and it has been four since I submitted my manuscript. I would just like a general time frame from anyone who has dealt with this agency before. Thanks.

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy
12-01-2008, 10:48 PM
I submitted a non-exclusive on 9/27 and got rejected 10/02. FWIW, I met Tracey at a conference years ago and loved her. Very nice and very impressive. Luck.

Julie Worth
12-02-2008, 01:33 AM
They don't actually require exclusives, but they do prefer them. And they take twice as long to reply if you don't submit exclusively.

I wouldn't take that seriously. If an agent has an exclusive on something, they can read it at their leisure, so the tendency is for exclusive material to take longer.

One thing I wonder--if other agencies have partials of up to the first 3 chapters, but no one else has the full, is that an exclusive as long as I don't send anyone else a full until their 6 weeks are up? Or does "exclusive" mean any part of it?

If an agency requests an exclusive on a partial, don't grant it. If an agency requests it on a full, then that doesn't include partials. But still, my advice is not to grant anyone an exclusive.

andracill
12-02-2008, 04:21 AM
I thought their website said 6 weeks for an exclusive and 12 for a non-exclusive...I sent them a non-exclusive about 6 weeks ago. Halfway there! (Still waiting, iow)

trickywoo
12-02-2008, 05:02 AM
I found the same thing - you can submit a non-exclusive; it just has a 12 week response time.

soulcascade
12-15-2008, 02:07 AM
I sent mine in a while ago and should be recieving an answer soon, their 'deadline' is on x-mas eve *gulp* I seriously hope they don't contact me over the holidays if it's a rejection :s

scarlettgirl
12-20-2008, 12:16 AM
Has anyone heard from Adams Literary regarding their submission yet? I haven't and it's been almost seven weeks for my exclusive with them. Just curious.

soulcascade
12-31-2008, 01:55 AM
Hi scarlettgirl I sent an exclusive too. It's expired and I haven't heard from them. I wonder if it's because they're swamped with submissions or because of the holidays? (I assume this time of year everything is slowed Waaaay down)

emandem
12-31-2008, 05:03 AM
I'm curious to know if any of you have been submitting the full manuscript (as they appear to request on their website), or just queries/partials?? A full manuscript seems a lot for the initial submission

PVish
12-31-2008, 07:45 AM
I submitted a full in early December. Got an auto-reply that it had been received.

Vandal
12-31-2008, 08:59 AM
I submitted a non-exclusive full on 10/10 and received a rejection on 12/02. Seven weeks is not a bad turnaround.

scarlettgirl
12-31-2008, 08:00 PM
emandem,
I sent them the entire manuscript as requested in their submission guidelines, not sure if they only want partials or not. It doesn't hurt to ask though. :)

I think that the holidays have slowed down their response times because I passed the eight week mark on my exclusive with them. Oh well, maybe that's good news. :)

Happy New Year Everyone!!!

Red.Ink.Rain
01-05-2009, 12:30 AM
Do they rep YA books as well as children's?

Marva
01-05-2009, 02:54 AM
They say to send the full, so doing otherwise is not following directions. Whether that's an off-putter for them or not is an open question. I'm just saying, that's what they said to do. I can see the point. On an electronic entry, why bother with a few chapters only to have to ask again for more? Equeries, IMHO, should always ask for a full on a positive reply, whether from a query only, query+3, or query+synopsis. Why ask for a partial, then have to ask for a full later? Makes no sense.

Oh, yeah. I sent a full non-exclusive on 12/01. Now it could be exclusive.

Red.Ink.Rain
01-05-2009, 05:00 AM
Do they rep YA books as well as children's?

Never mind, I just checked out the website and answered my own question, lol. I think I'm going to send a non-exclusive. I figure I don't have anything to lose, and they seem like a great agency. Plus I love the idea of not sending a query, lol.

Edit: Looks like they represent Blood and Chocolate, which is a seriously popular YA book. There's also a movie version based on it. Pretty impressive.

soulcascade
01-08-2009, 04:25 AM
They also rep Margaret Peterson Haddix! That impressed me quite a bit.

soulcascade
01-13-2009, 11:58 PM
Got a form (grr) rejection in which my name was not spelled correctly last week. I wish everyone better luck than I had.

youngwriter369
01-20-2009, 02:49 AM
Are they a good agency? I have been debating querying them...it seems like they judge your work by the first few pages...i am not sure how i feel about giving an exclusive. has anyone gotten positive feedback from this agency?

waylander
01-20-2009, 03:35 AM
Are they a good agency? I have been debating querying them...it seems like they judge your work by the first few pages.

Pretty much every agency will judge your work by the first few pages, if not the first page alone. Many will judge you by your first paragraph.

PVish
01-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Via e-mail this morning, I received (6 weeks and 5 days after I submitted) my rejection from Adams after giving them a 6-week exclusive:

Thank you for your submission to Adams Literary. We can assure you that your work was given every consideration, however, we are unable to offer representation at this time.

As a small agency dedicated to providing our clients with the highest standards of representation while still seeking new authors and artists in a targeted way, it is all too often the case that we must turn away many talented individuals. The decision to accept a new client is one we take seriously, as we must be wholeheartedly committed to and enthusiastic about each and every project we represent.

Please keep in mind that ours is just one opinion, and we encourage you to continue pursuing your passion for children's literature.

We appreciate your interest in Adams Literary, and we wish you every success in your writing career.

Very polite. Very professional.

Saskatoonistan
01-22-2009, 03:17 PM
I received a form rejection for a partial. Back to the drawing board.

Red.Ink.Rain
01-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Sorry about all the form rejections - no fun. I'm still waiting to hear back. Good luck with the revenge queries! :D

emandem
04-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Am bummed... I got rejected by this agency (which was near the top of my list)! I did get a full request from ANOTHER agency that was lower on my list --they very casually mentioned I should make some revisions, but no guarantee of representation (so I'm still uneasy about doing this...).

I hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot, but I think I'm going to sit back and just think about this one for now. I may? re-submit to this agency later, with changes..... Would that be rude since I've already submitted to them once, and been rejected? I know it's been done (re-submitting), but anyone have experience with re-submitting w/ this agency in particular?

Phantom Writer
04-03-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm 8 weeks out on exclusive submission to Adams. Hoping to hear back any day now. =*) Patience is a virtue- but it's not one I possess..

Captain Jack
05-24-2009, 11:27 PM
Hi! .... I'm swimming in QLH now and have a simple question for those that submitted to Adams....

How did you address the letter for your submission?

Did you go with: Dear Tracey Adams: or Dear Ms. Adams: or Dear Adams Literary: or Dear Mrs. Adams: ?

This agent search is giving me heartburn! Don't want to make a fatal mistake on the very first three words!!

Thanks and Have a Great Day!!

RoseColoredSkies
05-24-2009, 11:54 PM
You should address it Dear Ms. Adams:

You don't want to presume she is married when she's not. The Ms. is the proper way of addressing a woman when you are uncertain of marital status.

Captain Jack
05-24-2009, 11:56 PM
You should address it Dear Ms. Adams:

You don't want to presume she is married when she's not. The Ms. is the proper way of addressing a woman when you are uncertain of marital status.

Perfect!!! Thank you for your help!!

Kerri
06-11-2009, 10:40 PM
I submitted an exclusive to Adams Literary. Four weeks into it, they changed their response time on their website from 6 weeks to 3 to 4 months. Can I expect to have to wait that long for their reply, or will they honor the 6 weeks they said they would strive for in their auto-reply? It has actually been 7 1/2 weeks so far, but going a little over is to be expected.

Senora Verde
06-11-2009, 11:05 PM
I submitted an exclusive to Adams Literary. Four weeks into it, they changed their response time on their website from 6 weeks to 3 to 4 months. Can I expect to have to wait that long for their reply, or will they honor the 6 weeks they said they would strive for in their auto-reply? It has actually been 7 1/2 weeks so far, but going a little over is to be expected.

Who knows? Trying to predict these things can make you crazy. Even if ana agent consistently says she'll respond in 6 weeks, that doesn't mean she will. I'd plan on waiting at least 3 months.

Did you give a time frame on the exclusive?

I'd say it might be safe to send to other places now. I dunno about that.

tasha43055
06-11-2009, 11:58 PM
I sent my full out only about 2 weeks ago. I still have some time I guess. Good luck everyone, we'll need it!

Parametric
06-12-2009, 02:43 AM

Giving an open-ended exclusive is a bad plan. For all you know the agent may never respond, locking you into exclusive hell forever. I think you need to get in touch with the agent and establish a short time frame for the exclusive as soon as possible - seven weeks is already way too long for an exclusive, imo.

Kerri
06-12-2009, 03:10 AM
Did you give a time frame on the exclusive?

I'd say it might be safe to send to other places now. I dunno about that.

No, I didn't give a time frame. It would definitely be ok to send a different story to another agent right? Adams Literary says they represent authors, not books, so I am not sure if that means my story is an exclusive or I am. Thanks

Parametric
06-12-2009, 03:16 AM
No, I didn't give a time frame. It would definitely be ok to send a different story to another agent right? Adams Literary says they represent authors, not books, so I am not sure if that means my story is an exclusive or I am. Thanks

If you've submitted an exclusive full the exclusive applies only to this novel.

I do think this is a bad situation. An exclusive full locks you out of submitting queries and partials as well on this manuscript, so you could be waiting four months (or more) before you can make any kind of move toward any of the 100+ other agents out there. Also, given Adams Literary's policy, I assume that this exclusive wasn't requested by a person who's read your work, so you don't even have the guarantee that the person reading is remotely interested.

Withdraw the exclusive but leave your manuscript still under consideration, is my suggestion.

Kerri
06-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Hmmmm...

Well, Thanks everybody!

aldenswriting
06-29-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi Kerri,

I saw your posting about Tracey Adams and her submission time--I was searching this board b/c the same exact thing happened to me. I submitted my MG novel back in May (when her website still said up to 6 weeks for an exclusive) then saw that the response time had been changed on her website.

I'm assuming they're holding to the 6 weeks since I submitted when they were still "advertising" their response time as that way, but, well, 6 weeks later... I'm still waiting! I was just wondering if you finally heard back from her at all?

Marva
06-29-2009, 11:11 PM
I sent a non-exclusive in December. On March 10th, they requested a resend since the file got bollixed in some way. I resent as asked same day. I never heard from them again. So, I guess it's been 3-3/4 months without a response.

tasha43055
06-30-2009, 12:11 AM
I sent a non-exclusive in December. On March 10th, they requested a resend since the file got bollixed in some way. I resent as asked same day. I never heard from them again. So, I guess it's been 3-3/4 months without a response.
I'd nudge them. It couldn't hurt. Good luck. My full has only been out for almost a month.

angelfrancis
07-03-2009, 01:02 AM
I'm curious to know if any of you have been submitting the full manuscript (as they appear to request on their website), or just queries/partials?? A full manuscript seems a lot for the initial submission

I only sent a query, on April 27th, 2009, and recieved a full request on 6/30/09

Kerri
07-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Hi Kerri,

I saw your posting about Tracey Adams and her submission time--I was searching this board b/c the same exact thing happened to me. I submitted my MG novel back in May (when her website still said up to 6 weeks for an exclusive) then saw that the response time had been changed on her website.

I'm assuming they're holding to the 6 weeks since I submitted when they were still "advertising" their response time as that way, but, well, 6 weeks later... I'm still waiting! I was just wondering if you finally heard back from her at all?

I have not heard back yet, and it has been 10 1/2 weeks. I assume they changed their policy because their agent, Karen Riskin left or was let go, and they are swamped. If you read earlier posts, there are some people who hadn't heard back from Adams Literary after 8 weeks, when their policy was still 6 weeks. Maybe they just changed their wait time because they were never actually able to get back to people in 6 weeks.

I checked their response times on lit match. The fastest one was in 1 day(likely a really crappy cover letter) and the slowest was 123 days. Soooo...I am going to give them the 4 months, that they are now requesting. I'm young; I got time!

Janet-in-Oregon
07-24-2009, 04:52 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the agents at Adams Literary?

Their website:

They rep exclusively children's. Fairly new, about 4 years old, I think, but they have an impressive client list already.

But their submission policy is interesting. No queries of any form. They prefer 6-week-exclusive complete manuscript submissions! I haven't come across anyone else who does that. And because of the no-query policy, they come up on both agentquery and querytracker as being closed to unsolicited queries, but their website is quite clear that they aren't closed at all.

Just curious if anyone knows any more about them.
They took 6 months to reply to query of 1-31-09. And I followed all the rules!

Phantom Writer
07-25-2009, 11:32 PM
I queried back in April and got a response in June. Only bad is you give them exclusive or non-exclusive and that affects their response time. I hear they are excellent agents though! Good luck to everyone!

revolocard
07-30-2009, 01:48 AM
Just curious, since they work as a team, who does everyone address their submissions to? Picking one agent or just "Dear Adams Literary?" Normally, of course, I pick an agent, but even in interviews, they speak in the "we" and never say what they prefer individually.

nash
08-04-2009, 05:53 PM
@revolocard-
I addressed to a specific agent. Seems more personal that way.

revolocard
08-12-2009, 10:39 AM
But just at random, I assume, since they don't really differentiate in interests or sales? Or am I wrong and they represent projects separately?

angelfrancis
08-12-2009, 04:30 PM
I just put it to the agency. Normally, I personalize it.

nash
08-12-2009, 04:43 PM
But just at random, I assume, since they don't really differentiate in interests or sales? Or am I wrong and they represent projects separately?
Not random... I'd read their bios, look over the newsletter they have posted on their website, google and read interviews, check publisher's marketplace, agentquery.com, querytracker... Get a feel as best you can for their preferences and personality. If you can, try to meet them in person at conference, listen to them on an agent panel. Whatever you can do. :)

Best wishes.

tasha43055
08-12-2009, 06:55 PM
My full has been out for just over 2 months now. The waiting is killing me!

angelfrancis
08-12-2009, 07:08 PM
My full has been out for just over 2 months now. The waiting is killing me!

Good Luck!

It took two months after my query before they asked for a full, then it was only a month or so before I recieved a generic rejection letter.

tasha43055
08-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Good Luck!

It took two months after my query before they asked for a full, then it was only a month or so before I recieved a generic rejection letter.
Sorry about the R. I just hoping that they get to it soon or something. I'm happy either way because this story was first an adult story and it got no nibbles. I stopped querying it over a year ago and never went back to it. I just happen to rewrite it as a YA and got a bite. I can't help what happens and what they choose but the waiting is killing me here.

angelfrancis
08-12-2009, 09:28 PM
That's okay. I've been in the acting bussiness my whole life, so rejection is like breathing in that industry. lol. I actually did the same, except oposite. I was trying to sell it as a YA and was having trouble. I think it's too dark, even though YA would like it, it could easily cross over. I took a break and now I started querying differently. Hopefully it works. I think I even changed the name too. Sometimes it's the tiny things that work, you know?

tasha43055
08-12-2009, 10:09 PM
That's okay. I've been in the acting bussiness my whole life, so rejection is like breathing in that industry. lol. I actually did the same, except oposite. I was trying to sell it as a YA and was having trouble. I think it's too dark, even though YA would like it, it could easily cross over. I took a break and now I started querying differently. Hopefully it works. I think I even changed the name too. Sometimes it's the tiny things that work, you know?
Sometimes it is just the little things and that's what I did. I have a total of 2 books that I'm querying.

SinkFulloDishes
08-19-2009, 01:46 AM
I sent my full as a 6-week exclusive on March 18, but figured it was a rejection when I didn't hear back from them after a few months.

This morning I got my actual rejection, lol, from Quinlan Lee:

Thank you for the opportunity to read Finders Keepers and your extreme patience in waiting to hear from us. We have been looking at your story for quite some time because we wanted to give it our full consideration. You are a beautiful writer, and the characters you've created in Ty and family are affecting and heartbreaking. Unfortunately, however, in today's tight economic climate, we are finding that classic, character-driven stories without a strong hook , such as Finders Keepers, are very challenging to find a home for, and we are being very selective in taking on new clients. Therefore, we are unable to offer you representation at this time.

We realize that this is a decision we may regret, and we know that you will find an agent who is able to give you and your manuscript the passion that is needed in today's challenging market. However, if you do continue to seek representation, we would be happy to look at any future work you would like to send us.

Again, we appreciate your interest in Adams Literary, and we wish you all the best.At least I know they didn't think it sucked, haha. I might try them again with my current WIP if it's finished before I find a home for this one.

tasha43055
08-19-2009, 01:51 AM
I sent my full as a 6-week exclusive on March 18, but figured it was a rejection when I didn't hear back from them after a few months.

At least I know they didn't think it sucked, haha. I might try them again with my current WIP if it's finished before I find a home for this one.
That was a nice rejection! I'm still waiting to hear something back myself and I hope I get something as nice as yours. I would much rather not have a rejection.

Kerri
08-19-2009, 04:47 AM

At least I know they didn't think it sucked, haha. I might try them again with my current WIP if it's finished before I find a home for this one.

Thank you so much for posting that. I am a month behind you, so it's good to know that it's still possible they will get back to me!

Barb D
08-19-2009, 11:33 PM

That's a great rejection, if there is such a thing. I've been waiting two months, and that's with an exclusive and having met Josh at a conference.

Has anyone tried e-mailing them to ask what their status is? I don't want to be a nag, but I'd love to know if I'm in SinkFulloDishes' shoes, and they're in the midst of considering it.

Josh/Tracey/Quinlan, if you're reading this, Hi! Get back to work! :)

revolocard
08-20-2009, 12:41 AM
Not random... I'd read their bios, look over the newsletter they have posted on their website, google and read interviews, check publisher's marketplace, agentquery.com, querytracker... Get a feel as best you can for their preferences and personality. If you can, try to meet them in person at conference, listen to them on an agent panel. Whatever you can do. :)

Best wishes.

Oh, that's what I'm looking for but can't seem to find! I tried to do my research but the interviews I found never specified the separate interests. Their bios don't list their preferences either. Also, I can't find a newsletter on their website...could you point me? I really would love to get a better feel for them, but everything seems to be a "we like this" or no preference at all. I'm probably missing the obvious, but I did try!

http://www.adamsliterary.com/index.html

nash
08-20-2009, 02:21 AM
Look on their Contact Us page for a link to the latest newsletter. Also if you Google "Adams Literary newsletter" you can find older versions. Luck!

Phantom Writer
09-24-2009, 05:40 AM
Anyone hear from Ms. Adams lately? Sent Q 8/2. Anyone? Anyone? Hello? Am I alone out here? :O

nash
09-24-2009, 05:52 AM
@Phantom- no word here either. I'm in the waiting zone too. You are not alone. :)

Phantom Writer
09-24-2009, 05:54 AM
Yea! At least I'm not alone. I was starting to think this is one of my "black hole" queries....

Barb D
09-24-2009, 07:17 AM
I'm about to hit three months. I sent my ms as an exclusive on 6/25. They say 3-4 months...

tasha43055
09-24-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm about to hit three months. I sent my ms as an exclusive on 6/25. They say 3-4 months...
I sent mine on 6/2 so we are about in the same waiting period.
*refresh, refresh, refresh*

katpaws
09-24-2009, 08:41 PM
New website for Adams Literary indicates that submissions should be made via their online submission form. I'm hoping I can assume that anything sent via email prior to the redesign will still be looked at?

jsouders
09-24-2009, 08:48 PM
New website for Adams Literary indicates that submissions should be made via their online submission form. I'm hoping I can assume that anything sent via email prior to the redesign will still be looked at?

I didn't see an online submission form. Only a link that connects you to their email. Did I miss something?

Phantom Writer
09-25-2009, 12:23 AM
I will keep my fingers crossed for everyone else- but just got an R on the full i sent them. :( No snoopy dance for me today. And I can handle 1 rejection in a day... but this morning I got 2 back to back!!! ARGH!!!

Barb D
09-25-2009, 01:08 AM
I will keep my fingers crossed for everyone else- but just got an R on the full i sent them. :( No snoopy dance for me today. And I can handle 1 rejection in a day... but this morning I got 2 back to back!!! ARGH!!!

I'm sorry, Phantom Writer. :( At least they didn't take too long for the rejection. And coincidental that it came the day after you posted here.

Was it a form letter or more personal?

katpaws
09-25-2009, 01:30 AM
Add me to the list who received an R right after posting here (not that I think there's a connection. I don't). Detailed R, but still likely a form based on the mechanics of it. Good luck to all still querying them!

Barb D
09-25-2009, 02:15 AM
Add me to the list who received an R right after posting here (not that I think there's a connection. I don't). Detailed R, but still likely a form based on the mechanics of it. Good luck to all still querying them!

Ack! Looks like Adams is on a rejection roll today! Nothing for me so far.
Katpaws, when did you submit?

Barb D
09-25-2009, 02:40 AM
I didn't see an online submission form. Only a link that connects you to their email. Did I miss something?

Here's the new submission form:
http://www.adamsliterary.com/submissions/submitnow/submitnow.php

Be sure to read the submissions criteria first:
http://www.adamsliterary.com/submissions/submissions.html

I noticed that they'll take a doc file now. They used to only take pdf or rtf because they were easier to format for their Sony Readers.

jsouders
09-25-2009, 02:45 AM
Here's the new submission form:
http://www.adamsliterary.com/submissions/submitnow/submitnow.php

Be sure to read the submissions criteria first:
http://www.adamsliterary.com/submissions/submissions.html

I noticed that they'll take a doc file now. They used to only take pdf or rtf because they were easier to format for their Sony Readers.

Thank you. I would have missed that completely and submitted through the email. Yikes. Thanks again.

nash
09-25-2009, 03:46 AM
Aw, katpaws and Phantom, sorry to hear that. I feel your pain. Literally. I got a rejection letter today too. :( They must be clearing their desks, so to speak. Best wishes to you both & hang in there.

Barb D
09-25-2009, 05:19 AM
Aw, katpaws and Phantom, sorry to hear that. I feel your pain. Literally. I got a rejection letter today too. :( They must be clearing their desks, so to speak. Best wishes to you both & hang in there.

Argh! It's a bloodbath! Sorry to hear about your rejection, Nash.

Tasha? Kerri? Any news?

Phantom Writer
09-25-2009, 05:26 AM
hahah it's a blood bath?? Wow. And the day after we ALL posted here... wonder if we were black listed for posting? :) hahaha yeah I know conspiracy theory stuff... but it was a nice rejection- it even referenced a previous submission I did to them at the beginning of the year- so I really appreciated that! Made the R a little less painful... but still an r.

tasha43055
09-25-2009, 07:12 AM

Tasha? Kerri? Any news?
*peeks around to see if I'm safe*
Sorry about the Rs going around. Nothing yet but it seems as if they are clearing house. I think I may hear the bad news soon. I'm just happy to get a request of this ms. I tried last year and got nothing.

nash
09-25-2009, 03:45 PM

The blood bath comment made me smile. I needed that. Thanks. :)

trocadero
09-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Mine's been out two months, nonexclusive, so I guess I won't start to expect anything for another month. Sorry about the bloodbath. They sound like great detailed rejections, though.

Barb D
09-26-2009, 06:39 AM
Mine's been out two months, nonexclusive, so I guess I won't start to expect anything for another month. Sorry about the bloodbath. They sound like great detailed rejections, though.

Trocadero, they've had mine 3 months, exclusive, and I met Josh at a conference which is supposed to speed things up some. (How much, I have no idea.) IOW, I wouldn't expect anything for MORE than another month.

trocadero
09-26-2009, 04:03 PM
Trocadero, they've had mine 3 months, exclusive, and I met Josh at a conference which is supposed to speed things up some. (How much, I have no idea.) IOW, I wouldn't expect anything for MORE than another month.

I won't:) But you know, I think it's brilliant that they ask for the whole thing straight up. If I were an agent (which I'd hate to be) I would like to be able to scan a full manuscript, flip through and look at different bits, then the end, before I decided to read the whole thing. Plus asking for the whole thing up front means less interactions with the submitter. You don't have to ask for three chapters, then ask for a full. It's all there. I don't know why more agents don't ask for fulls straight up.

It makes me like them and think they'd be great to work with. Someone else requested a full of my manuscript, so I'm REALLY hoping that one works out, though I remain realistic:)

Good luck, those of you ahead of me in the line! How long will you wait before you give them a polite nudge, Barb? I just noticed in your signature that your story is about time travel, too. Mine's more middle grade, though. Good luck!

Barb D
09-27-2009, 02:37 AM
Good luck, those of you ahead of me in the line! How long will you wait before you give them a polite nudge, Barb? I just noticed in your signature that your story is about time travel, too. Mine's more middle grade, though. Good luck!

I tried e-mailing Quinlan for a status update after two months, but didn't get a response. Hopefully they're too busy working to respond to status inquiry e-mails. :)

And absolutely, I adore the way they work. They are almost completely paperless. They even distribute their clients' work at the Bologna Children's Book Fair (http://www.bookfair.bolognafiere.it/page.asp?m=52&l=2&ma=3&c=16&p=52Overview) on CD instead of taking hard copies.

My first book (the one Adams has) is older YA but the one I'm working on now is middle grade. Although it seems to be leaning more YA the longer I work on it.

Krista G.
10-14-2009, 01:52 AM
Anyone heard anything lately? I sent a full with my initial query back on June 29 and have yet to receive a reply. Still within their 3- to 4-month response window, but where everyone else got their rejections a while back, I'm starting to wonder if mine made it...

Barb D
10-14-2009, 03:02 AM
Anyone heard anything lately? I sent a full with my initial query back on June 29 and have yet to receive a reply. Still within their 3- to 4-month response window, but where everyone else got their rejections a while back, I'm starting to wonder if mine made it...

Nothing here. I sent mine on June 25th.
Did you get an automatic response e-mail? I got one immediately after I sent it.

"Thank you for your submission to Adams Literary. We will contact you by email or phone after we've considered your material, typically within 3-4 months. We appreciate your patience; please understand that we receive about 6,000 submissions each year, and giving each the attention it deserves takes time.

We appreciate your interest in Adams Literary, and look forward to reviewing your work."

Krista G.
10-14-2009, 05:58 AM
Nothing here. I sent mine on June 25th.
Did you get an automatic response e-mail? I got one immediately after I sent it.

"Thank you for your submission to Adams Literary. We will contact you by email or phone after we've considered your material, typically within 3-4 months. We appreciate your patience; please understand that we receive about 6,000 submissions each year, and giving each the attention it deserves takes time.

We appreciate your interest in Adams Literary, and look forward to reviewing your work."

You know, Barb D, that sounds familiar, but up until about a month ago, I just deleted those confirmation e-mails and never documented whether I'd received one. Stupid, I know. Now I'm keeping track of those, too, in the ol' query spreadsheet, but I can't be certain that I received one from Adams Literary.

tasha43055
10-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Any updates? Anyone?

Barb D
10-25-2009, 05:00 AM
Nope. Tomorrow is 4 months for me. You're at almost 5, right Tasha? Did you send yours as an exclusive?

tasha43055
10-25-2009, 06:43 AM
Nope. Tomorrow is 4 months for me. You're at almost 5, right Tasha? Did you send yours as an exclusive?
It'll be 5 months November 2.

Barb D
10-25-2009, 07:58 AM
It'll be 5 months November 2.

Was it exclusive?

tasha43055
10-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Was it exclusive?
No. Was yours?

trocadero
10-25-2009, 04:22 PM
Nothing from me but I sent mine early July. Good luck, the rest of you:)

Barb D
10-25-2009, 07:44 PM
No. Was yours?

Yes, and I met Josh at an SCBWI conference. Both of which could potentially get me moved up in the queue.

Now that they're past the 4 month typical response time I've thought about removing the exclusive. But I still really want them as agents, so I'm going to hang on a while longer.

Barb D
10-29-2009, 06:00 PM
I just got a lovely personal rejection from Josh. He did read the book, which is gratifying.

Continued good luck to the rest of you! I'm off to try to improve this one before sending it off again!

Krista G.
10-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Sorry about the rejection, Barb D. But closure's always nice in one form or another, I suppose.

Good luck with the rest of your agent hunt!

tasha43055
10-29-2009, 08:46 PM
I just got a lovely personal rejection from Josh. He did read the book, which is gratifying.

Continued good luck to the rest of you! I'm off to try to improve this one before sending it off again!
Sorry about the R. Ours went out about the same time so now I'm biting my nails. Glad to see that you got a personal R. Good luck!

Krista G.
11-04-2009, 01:48 AM
Tasha43055, are you certain that they received your manuscript? Did you get a confirmation e-mail of any kind? As you can see above, I'm not sure if I did, so now, of course, I'm starting to wonder if my submission's floating in the ether somewhere.

Barb D
11-04-2009, 02:04 AM
Krista, Tasha's wasn't an exclusive, so maybe that's why it's taking longer. (Or better yet, they really like it and are still working on it!)

tasha43055
11-04-2009, 08:32 AM
Tasha43055, are you certain that they received your manuscript? Did you get a confirmation e-mail of any kind? As you can see above, I'm not sure if I did, so now, of course, I'm starting to wonder if my submission's floating in the ether somewhere.
I did get a confirmation, so I know they got it. It seems like a lot of people are getting responses now so maybe mine will be soon.

Krista, Tasha's wasn't an exclusive, so maybe that's why it's taking longer. (Or better yet, they really like it and are still working on it!)
That would be a great idea!!

Kerri
11-17-2009, 04:04 AM
Any updates? Anyone?
I submitted an exclusive on April 21st and received a rejection on September 8th, so about 4 1/2 months. Sorry I didn't get this posted earlier; I thought I already did it. I will post my rejection letter to make up for it! I hope this gives all of you some momentary relief.

Thank you for your submission to Adams Literary and your patience in
waiting to hear from us. We have been happily swamped with
submissions and wanted to give each one our full attention. We can
assure you that [Title of my story] was given every consideration,
however, we are unable to offer representation at this time. Although
the story is beautifully written, the picture book market is very
challenging right now. This has forced us to be even more selective
in taking on new clients, so that we can focus our efforts on the
works of our current authors and illustrators.

As a small agency dedicated to providing our clients with the highest
standards of representation while still seeking new authors and
artists in a targeted way, it is all too often the case that we must
turn away many talented individuals. The decision to accept a new
client is one we take seriously, as we must be wholeheartedly
committed to and enthusiastic about each and every project we represent.

Please keep in mind that ours is just one opinion, and we encourage
you to continue pursuing your passion for children's literature.

We appreciate your interest in Adams Literary, and we wish you every
success in your writing career.

Sincerely,

Adams Literary

Krista G.
11-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Hey, Tasha, any news? Your submission's been out nearly six months now, right?

tasha43055
11-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Hey, Tasha, any news? Your submission's been out nearly six months now, right?
I nudged a few weeks ago and they said they got it and would be in touch when they have read it.

Krista G.
11-29-2009, 08:39 AM
I nudged a few weeks ago and they said they got it and would be in touch when they have read it.

Well, I'm glad they responded to your nudge - seems like a lot of agents don't do that much anymore - but it's too bad you're still waiting. Hope they get back to you soon...and with good news :)

AuntB
12-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Got my R today from an October 24th query. A lot quicker than I expected.

litgirl
12-04-2009, 02:58 AM
October 24th. Wow, that was fast! Anyone hear from July?

Krista G.
12-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Still waiting on a June 29 query. Of course, this was back when they were taking the full manuscript with the initial query, so I'm thinking maybe mine has fallen through the cracks...

litgirl
12-04-2009, 07:20 PM
I didn't realize they'd changed their submissions policy. That would explain why subs from this summer are still out, but queries from October are getting answers.

Good luck to everyone waiting!

litgirl
12-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Actually, I just checked their page and they still say to send the full ms with the initial query. Maybe they're just working backwards through the pile? Or luck of the draw? I don't think there's much to read into it; I was just curious if there was a change in submission policy.

Krista G.
12-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Actually, I just checked their page and they still say to send the full ms with the initial query. Maybe they're just working backwards through the pile? Or luck of the draw? I don't think there's much to read into it; I was just curious if there was a change in submission policy.

You're right, litgirl - they are still taking full manuscripts with the initial query. They are using an online submission form now, though, rather than just e-mail, which is how I queried.

Good luck to you!

AuntB
12-05-2009, 06:45 AM
I used the online submission form with my full ms on my October query. So, it looks like they are significantly quicker with the form now.

litgirl
12-11-2009, 12:38 AM
Anyone hear back from July queries? I used their on line form, too, but have heard nothing but crickets...

litgirl
01-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Just checking back to see if anyone else has heard anything from them since the holidays.

tasha43055
01-12-2010, 06:06 PM
Just checking back to see if anyone else has heard anything from them since the holidays.
I haven't.

iowawriter
02-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Still waiting to hear back from October 23. I sent it via their online form.

Sage
02-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Don't they predict a 3-4 months wait in their confirmation e-mail?

iowawriter
02-09-2010, 12:55 AM
Yes they do. I know they are a busy agency. It is nice don't need to request any more information with the online form as they have the complete manuscript. I just wish there was a way to check on it after the confirmation letter like many of the literary magazines online submission form. Oh well. In due time.

Erin
02-09-2010, 07:15 AM
I'm still waiting on a 9/25 query.

DolphinGirl
02-16-2010, 01:31 AM
Maybe they are actually considering you guys.
I send them the ms on January 5th and got a
(very nice) standard rejection today.

tasha43055
02-16-2010, 03:32 AM
I got a confirmation when I sent mine to them. I'm at 8 months on my full.

skippingstone
02-16-2010, 03:39 AM
Eight months! Zoinks. You coulda almost had a baby in that amount of time. Maybe that should be the new standard? Agents should not hold onto fulls for longer than it takes for actual human gestation.

iowawriter
02-17-2010, 09:47 PM
lol:roll:

CharleyGirl
02-18-2010, 09:04 PM
I just got a very short form R on a 1/8 submission. It's nice to hear back so quickly, but I'm kinda bummed out by the generic reply. Moving on...

trocadero
02-18-2010, 09:31 PM
I submitted a full using their online submission system in July 09 and haven't heard anything. You're a little further along than I am, Tasha:) I just looked at their submission guidelines and they do say that they'll contact you in typically 3 - 4 months, often sooner. Yikes. I haven't heard anything. It does say you can follow up using the online form. Perhaps I'd better do that! Sorry about the R, CharleyGirl.

Erin
02-18-2010, 10:04 PM
I submitted a full using their online submission system in July 09 and haven't heard anything. You're a little further along than I am, Tasha:) I just looked at their submission guidelines and they do say that they'll contact you in typically 3 - 4 months, often sooner. Yikes. I haven't heard anything. It does say you can follow up using the online form. Perhaps I'd better do that! Sorry about the R, CharleyGirl.

I also submitted with the full using the online system in Sept. Still waiting. Every time I do a nudge, I get the dreaded R. My new jaded policy is just to wait it out! Keeps the hope alive longer. :D

trocadero
02-18-2010, 10:07 PM
I agree, Erin. No news is good news. Or at least - not bad news!

iowawriter
02-19-2010, 12:22 AM
I am doing the same, unless they give specifics like, "if you haven't heard back from us in x weeks, DO let us know."

skippingstone
02-19-2010, 01:13 AM
I just got a form reject on a 1/11 query. Fortunately I had already crossed them off my list as a no response = no, so their actual rejection was sort of like hearing that Generalissimo Francisco Franco is STILL dead.

sciri
02-19-2010, 04:02 AM
I also submitted with the full using the online system in Sept. Still waiting. Every time I do a nudge, I get the dreaded R. My new jaded policy is just to wait it out! Keeps the hope alive longer. :D

LOL!! I have adopted that policy too!! :D

tasha43055
03-22-2010, 04:40 AM
My full finally turned into a form R. Not sad though since I have a story I love more that I would much rather get an agent with. Total time 9 months and 2 nudges. This R came right after the second nudge by the way.

litgirl
03-22-2010, 06:12 AM
So sorry to hear, Tasha, but at least you have something else to be excited about.

Your query was a month before mine, so I'll be looking for mine...

tasha43055
03-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks. I was really getting tired of waiting. It took 9 months! I already birthed another baby since then. (the historical)

Krista G.
03-23-2010, 01:44 AM
My full finally turned into a form R. Not sad though since I have a story I love more that I would much rather get an agent with. Total time 9 months and 2 nudges. This R came right after the second nudge by the way.

Mine, too! I never nudged, though.

Query sent: end of June 2009. Form rejection: end of March 2010. Nine-month turnaround time: priceless:)

litgirl
03-23-2010, 01:59 AM
They must be going through their files. I initially queried in July, but heard nothing. I considered sending an SQ, but no one else waiting from pre-online form days seemed to ever get a response to SQs, so I just resent the whole thing via their form, with a brief explanation, in early Feb. It just seemed that everything sent before they moved to the form had sort of disappeared? In any case, I got a form reply back, tagged to my resubmission in early Feb.

trocadero
04-05-2010, 05:21 PM
I used the form to submit my query and full manuscript on 29th March and received the rejection today, but I'm a bit confused. Can someone tell me if this is a standard form rejection or not? I know all the stuff that followed it is, but I'm not sure about this bit:

Blah blah usual bit at the start then: Although STUNG is a well-written story with a great hook, we did not find the plot and the world itself as well-developed as we would have liked.

If it's truly a personalized comment, I'll pay attention. But since they only had the manuscript for five days, it doesn't seem likely that they read the whole thing. Other people have given really positive feedback about the world-building. I will pay attention to their feedback, but only if it's genuinely personalized. What do you think?

tasha43055
04-05-2010, 05:45 PM
I used the form to submit my query and full manuscript on 29th March and received the rejection today, but I'm a bit confused. Can someone tell me if this is a standard form rejection or not? I know all the stuff that followed it is, but I'm not sure about this bit:

Blah blah usual bit at the start then: Although STUNG is a well-written story with a great hook, we did not find the plot and the world itself as well-developed as we would have liked.

If it's truly a personalized comment, I'll pay attention. But since they only had the manuscript for five days, it doesn't seem likely that they read the whole thing. Other people have given really positive feedback about the world-building. I will pay attention to their feedback, but only if it's genuinely personalized. What do you think?
Mine didn't have that much and was completely form. They had my manuscript for 9 months and addressed the rejection dear author.

Roly
04-05-2010, 05:47 PM
I don't think you need to worry regardless of whether it's a form or not. It's just one person's opinion and obviously other people like the world building so who cares?

You're going to get a lot of contradictory advice from agents. It's like a cardinal rule.

I'm more concerned about the fact that I queried them using the form back in Feb and they haven't replied back yet. I guess they're a no response = no?

trocadero
04-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Thanks Roly. You're right, of course. If it is personalized, though it's the first time I've actually had feedback, which makes this a special day indeed. BTW I haven't had a response to the first novel I submitted almost a year ago!

angelfrancis
04-05-2010, 07:54 PM
They had my full for several months, and rejected it with a form letter. I'd say your rejection was far better than mine. haha.

stefanie_gaither
04-07-2010, 09:32 PM
I'm more concerned about the fact that I queried them using the form back in Feb and they haven't replied back yet. I guess they're a no response = no?

I don't think they're a no response=no. They quote 3-4 months for their response time on their website; I submitted my full exclusively to them on Feb. 1 and haven't heard back yet either...

Edit:
From their submission guidelines: "Once we’ve reviewed your work, we will contact you by email or phone"

litgirl
04-07-2010, 11:23 PM
They respond, but it might take six to eight months...

angelfrancis
04-08-2010, 12:46 AM
They respond, but it might take six to eight months...

agreed!

clorenz
04-08-2010, 05:59 AM
I just found this thread after googling Adams Literary. I sent a query back in October and had pretty much forgotten about them when I received a manuscript request (if I was still seeking representation) a few days ago. They apologized for the backlog. When I queried them, there was no form, so I sent a query letter. I guess I will see. I send out query letters regularly and kind of have a hard time keeping up with them! Just got knocked out of the ABNA contest so I was happy for a little good news. I did remember the agency when I received the request and was pretty pumped as I really liked them. Hearing about all of these rejections does not give me much hope, but time will only tell.

stefanie_gaither
04-08-2010, 06:54 AM
Congrats on the manuscript request, Clorenz! I'm glad you got some good news. :) Keep us updated on how it develops.

rbs
05-14-2010, 02:01 AM
Has anyone heard from Adams lately? I sent an exclusive in February and am waiting for a reply.

honeysock
05-14-2010, 02:12 AM
Has anyone heard from Adams lately? I sent an exclusive in February and am waiting for a reply.

Did the two of you agree on a time frame? Maybe it's time to status query?

rbs
05-14-2010, 04:17 PM
Did the two of you agree on a time frame? Maybe it's time to status query?

No, but it seems that they reply a little quicker to exclusive submissions and I am coming up on the three-month mark (on their website it says they reply between 3 and 4 months). I will probably status query if I don't hear anything in a few weeks. I know this is a very busy time of the year--especially with kids' end of the year activities--so it may be awhile. I was just curious if anyone else had heard from them recently.

:) rbs

angelfrancis
05-14-2010, 04:38 PM
It took me a long time to hear back from my exclusive, then when they requested a full it took them like six months before I recieved the big R

stefanie_gaither
05-14-2010, 10:07 PM
I sent an exclusive on February 1st, and I haven't heard anything yet. Thinking about withdrawing the exclusive status myself... When I submitted, I figured I could handle 3-4 months of no querying-- and I thought surely it wouldn't be that long. Query Tracker has their average response time listed as 30 days and, barring cases such as litgirl and angelfrancis' (sorry about that ridiculously long wait you guys had to suffer through!), I saw a lot of comments where people heard back within a month or two... At any rate, I had stuff going on to distract me anyway--finishing up school, planning a wedding, etc...

But now I'm sitting here with a newly revised draft of my manuscript, and I feel like I'm just wasting time, not being able to submit it anywhere. I want to withdraw exclusive status (which I NEVER should have given in the first place--lesson learned) but part of me is still hopeful that they might be at least somewhat interested, since they haven't rejected it yet and it's coming up on the four month mark. Any suggestions on how that particular message might be worded...? I don't want to ruin my chances with them if they -are- interested, but I don't think I'll make it 6-8 months like angelfrancis and litgirl did! (seriously, ya'll must have the patience of saints)

Whew, sorry for the long post. This situation has been weighing pretty heavily on my mind lately... Advice, anyone?

angelfrancis
05-14-2010, 10:14 PM
I would nudge them at the three month mark. It took her three months to get to me, with a full request, then like 4 or 5 months with the manuscript before rejecting it. I still queried after the request. I'm sorry, but that's a long time to sit around. In all, that's almost over half a year.

rbs
05-16-2010, 05:16 AM
Stefanie, I am in the same boat. You could probably go ahead and status query, since you submitted in early February. Since their official response time is 3-4 months, I think a polite email saying something like "I am just following up on a submission from Feb. 1" would be fine. (I think they ask that all status queries go through their online form, too). I submitted later in February, and will probably wait a few more weeks before sending a status query. I decided it was worth it to submit to them exclusively because I think they would be a great fit for me. Good luck! You never know--they may be passing your fabulous manuscript around and discussing it right now!

= ) rbs

trocadero
05-16-2010, 06:24 PM
I am such a ditz.

I was just readying a resubmission of the novel I sent them ten months ago, and looked back at the rejection email for my second novel, which I sent a month ago, and realized that I missed something extremely important at the end of that recent response to the second novel. They said they'd be happy to look at a revised version, or some of my other work. That is absolutely the best rejection I've ever had.

I can't believe I missed that!

stefanie_gaither
05-17-2010, 11:10 AM
I decided it was worth it to submit to them exclusively because I think they would be a great fit for me.

Same here! That's why I'm super wary about poking...don't wanna do anything to mess up my chances with these guys...

You never know--they may be passing your fabulous manuscript around and discussing it right now!

Haha, that would be great! Hopefully they're doing the same with yours as well! :)

rbs
05-28-2010, 10:51 PM
I heard from Adams today. I subbed exclusively via their online form on 2/24/10 and received a nice form rejection today, 5/28/10. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!

No, the other one
08-01-2010, 10:22 AM
So, did anybody actually get accepted? I'm feeling downcast after readng this. Of course, it's natural that I am already expecting rejection.
I only submitted a few hours ago, so I'm sure it will be a while before I hear anything back.

Christine N.
08-01-2010, 03:52 PM
I submitted to them (not exclusively, but w/minimal other queries out there) a few weeks ago. I met Tracey at the NJSCBWI annual conference, and she is just adorable and sweet and very passionate about her work.

I finally decided to submit to them b/c their website says they look for 'timeless not trendy', and I think my Historical Fantasy fits that description. I have no idea how they will like it, but what do I have to lose?

Faith
08-07-2010, 09:29 PM
I sent a query on 6-16-10 and got a request for a full on 6-30-10. I was sooooo excited that they were interested in seeing my ms, but then after reading all the posts it looks like they look at them all. I'm quite new to this and probably did something really dumb. On their site, they have that little box to check whether or not the submission is an exclusive or not. Well....I checked it b/c no one else had it. Duh! I thought it would be just as easy to go back and uncheck it if I needed to later. I had no idea I was technically locking in to some unsaid/unwritten understanding that I would not query anyone else. Since then, I haven't sent out any other queries. Waiting stinks, but inaction is torturous. I'm still holding out hope that they like my ms. I really would love their representation. They seem great. But the waiting is killing me!

Basically, I'm looking for someone to tell me that I'm not a big dummy or just someone to share in my query hell misery. I hope you get some good news soon!

android415
08-13-2010, 02:21 AM
Hi, so I've got a question.

I sent a query to Adams Literary today at 3:00, and received an email back at about 6. They said:

"Thank you for your interest. We would be happy to take a look at your full manuscript."

I've been reading through the posts here, about exclusivity and what not. If I send them my full manuscript, is it expected to be exclusive? It can't be, because it's currently out to about 20 agents. However, I did include this in my query letter, so....

Are they expecting this to be exclusive or not? Did their policies change since this post was created?

litgirl
08-13-2010, 02:48 AM
When you fill out their form they ask you to specify if it's exclusive or not. Just mention that it's out with other agents as well, and you'll be fine. IMO, exclusives are not to your advantage, especially given the very long wait times involved in agent-hunting.

mairi
08-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Android415,
Ditto with litgirl. I also sent a query alone via their online form and mentioned it's out with other agents. I just received an email now requesting for a full (exact same line as yours). I'll probably mention again that I have a couple of partials/fulls out though, just to be on the safe side...

One thing I'm curious about - are they asking us for a full because it's just SOP? Do they ever send form Rs to those who sent queries alone and without any attached fulls?

angelfrancis
08-16-2010, 05:12 PM
I wonder the same thing. I recieved a full request not exclusively. 4 other agents have requested fulls too.

mairi
08-21-2010, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE=angelfrancis;5243593]I wonder the same thing. I recieved a full request not exclusively. 4 other agents have requested fulls too.[/]

at least u have other fulls out. are u writing ya paranormal/contemp?

id love to think theyre asking us for fulls coz they like our queries so much, but i think it's more of a case of sop.

angelfrancis
08-21-2010, 11:32 PM
Hey Mairi, I'm with ya!

I write contemp ya.

angelfrancis
09-07-2010, 06:53 PM
form rejection on a full this morning.

lenore_x
09-08-2010, 10:08 AM
I got an R this morning, too. The first paragraph says:

Thank you for your submission to Adams Literary. We can assure you that your workwas given every consideration, however, we are unable to offer representation at this time. Although THE BEGGAR OF POYAI is very well-written, we did not connect to the story as deeply as we had hoped.

Is that their form letter or should I feel fluffy that they said it was well-written?

rifferaff
09-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Lenore, that's not their form reject. I got a reject from them yesterday and it didn't have the title of my ms in it, nor the line about it being well written.

angelfrancis
09-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Mine didn't say that, so I'd say feel fluffy! lol. Mine didn't even have the name of my story.

KelleyVitollo
09-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Sorry about the R's you guys. How long ago did you all query?

angelfrancis
09-08-2010, 07:04 PM
It wasn't bad at all, really quick actually.
Queried 8/3
Full 8/13
R on full 9/7

That's really quick, and nice to know, so I don't have to wonder anymore about this one!

KelleyVitollo
09-08-2010, 08:50 PM
It wasn't bad at all, really quick actually.
Queried 8/3
Full 8/13
R on full 9/7

That's really quick, and nice to know, so I don't have to wonder anymore about this one!

That is a good time. Thanks for answering. I queried on 8/25.

lenore_x
09-08-2010, 10:35 PM
I queried on 8/5 and attached my full manuscript with their submission form. So, about a month.

mairi
09-08-2010, 11:39 PM
sent my full 8/17 so ill prolly be hearing next...

rifferaff
09-09-2010, 12:19 AM
I queried 7/29 via their online form and attached my full. Rejection 9/7.

Christine N.
09-09-2010, 01:06 AM
Huh. I submitted 7/7 via the online form, got an auto-response received the full, but haven't yet heard anything.

But I don't expect to hear before October, which would be three months.

mairi
09-09-2010, 04:55 PM
got my form R. not as painful as i thought it would be. either that or im getting numb. or cynical.

Christine N.
09-09-2010, 05:17 PM
I suppose I should be hearing soon? Since I sent mine in weeks before you guys? Maybe they're reading my full ms and loving it so much they want to finish it? Yeah, that's it.

(and maybe pork products will sprout feathers? I'm a cynic too, Mairi. I love my book, but can't get my hopes up any more, it hurts to be let down.)

Christine N.
09-09-2010, 06:04 PM
They must be reading here, because I got this today! LOL.

Thank you for your submission to Adams Literary. We can assure you that your work was given every consideration, however, we are unable to offer representation at this time. SMOKE AND MIRRORS is a beautifully written story, and you've done a wonderful job creating the bygone world of Philadelphia, but unfortunately we did not connect to the story itself as deeply as we had hoped.

So a little bit form, a little bit tailored. Still, an R is an R.

rebelcheese
09-09-2010, 06:56 PM
I sent Ms. Adams a query yesterday. *crosses fingers*

newgreekwriter
09-10-2010, 12:25 PM
I sent a query back in November of 2009.

Tracey Adams responded April 22, 2010:

"Thank you for your interest in Adams Literary and your patience in waiting to hear from us. We would be happy to take a look at FALLEN. Please send it as an attached document.

Adams Literary"

I sent her the manuscript and received an auto-reply:

The 3-4 month reading time has passed...something tells me it's not good news. =/

rosepddle
09-17-2010, 05:30 PM

"Thank you for your interest in Adams Literary and your patience in waiting to hear from us. We would be happy to take a look at FALLEN. Please send it as an attached document.

Adams Literary"

The 3-4 month reading time has passed...something tells me it's not good news. =/
Maybe they're just a bit backed up from the summer. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I'm going to query them today, so my fingers will be crossed for me too-lol.

dreamer89
09-29-2010, 10:10 PM
so I got a request for a full from Adams Literary a couple of weeks ago and haven't been able to send it until just now, I was wondering, should I worry about poor man's copyright before sending? I was thinking that because it was a legit agency I shouldn't have to worry about that right?

thanks!

-Dreamer

Stew21
09-29-2010, 10:11 PM
You never have to worry about that. Ever. It doesn't work anyway. So send it and good luck!

dreamer89
09-29-2010, 10:12 PM
thanks stew! I'm sending it out now :-)

dreamer89
10-01-2010, 01:38 AM
sorry double post but I had a question...
Originally I granted Adams Literary exclusivity, but now am thinking maybe that wasn't such a great idea and I should tell them it is on an nonexclusive basis so I can keep querying. Originally I granted it to them because I haven't been getting any responses from other agents, but now I'm not quite sure what to do. What would be the most professional way to go about it? Thanks in advance!

-dreamer

profen4
10-01-2010, 01:49 AM
sorry double post but I had a question...
Originally I granted Adams Literary exclusivity, but now am thinking maybe that wasn't such a great idea and I should tell them it is on an nonexclusive basis so I can keep querying. Originally I granted it to them because I haven't been getting any responses from other agents, but now I'm not quite sure what to do. What would be the most professional way to go about it? Thanks in advance!

-dreamer

was a time limit indicated?

dreamer89
10-01-2010, 01:55 AM
this is what it says on their website:

"Once we’ve reviewed your work, we will contact you by email or phone—typically within 3-4 months, though often sooner. If you need to follow up, please do so through the online form, referencing your submission."

I don't know if there is a shorter deadline for those granting exclusivity.

Marilena
11-02-2010, 08:30 PM

Adams Literary"

Hm it's very long time :/
I wish you good luck!

I sent my query to Adams literary before a week and i think i will
be waiting for a long time. Also I really confused and I checked the button "Exclusive" unfortunately. Adams literary isn't the only Agency that i sent my manuscript. And I hope will not be any problem with "Exclusive"

dreamer89
11-02-2010, 11:28 PM
has anyone heard from Adams Literary yet? I sent them an exclusive 6 weeks ago and I'm wondering if I should retract my exclusivity and leave it as non exclusive (I haven't sent out any queries for 6 weeks and I realize now that might have been a mistake). does anyone have any advice? thanks!

-dreamer

MJRevell
11-13-2010, 11:03 PM
this is what it says on their website:

"Once we’ve reviewed your work, we will contact you by email or phone—typically within 3-4 months, though often sooner. If you need to follow up, please do so through the online form, referencing your submission."

I don't know if there is a shorter deadline for those granting exclusivity.

Now on their website it says 4-6 weeks. They ask for a complete manuscript, and don't reply if they're not interested.

Good luck with your submissions guys. I've just sent mine now.

MJRevell
11-13-2010, 11:04 PM
has anyone heard from Adams Literary yet? I sent them an exclusive 6 weeks ago and I'm wondering if I should retract my exclusivity and leave it as non exclusive (I haven't sent out any queries for 6 weeks and I realize now that might have been a mistake). does anyone have any advice? thanks!

-dreamer

Might be worth getting in touch, if you offered them an exclusive. They say you should hear back in 6 weeks, so if it has been 6 weeks, just send them a friendly reminder.

I would also suggest you send out queries anyway. You have granted an exclusive full m/s, and that doesn't change if you keep querying. If you get further full requests, then you can deal with whether or not you want to withdraw exclusivity...

Marilena
11-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Hi guys,

I need your advice please.

I sent my query to Adams Literary before three weeks, and I really
confused and I checked "Exclusive". But all this time I have sent
my query and to other agencies.

I make big mistake with the "Exclusive"??

what to do now?

:/

MJRevell
11-14-2010, 04:07 PM
Don't worry about it.

Adams Literary ask for the full manuscript up front. There is a difference between that and a query letter, which is asking an agent if they would like to see more.

You can have a hundred queries out in the world, but if your m/s is with Adams and only with Adams, then it's still an exclusive.

Marilena
11-14-2010, 05:10 PM
Don't worry about it.

Adams Literary ask for the full manuscript up front. There is a difference between that and a query letter, which is asking an agent if they would like to see more.

You can have a hundred queries out in the world, but if your m/s is with Adams and only with Adams, then it's still an exclusive.

I understand now, thank you very much for your reply my friend!

Julie Worth
11-14-2010, 05:20 PM
I sent my query to Adams literary before a week and i think i will
be waiting for a long time. Also I really confused and I checked the button "Exclusive" unfortunately. Adams literary isn't the only Agency that i sent my manuscript. And I hope will not be any problem with "Exclusive"

Never offer an exclusive if you can possibly help it. In this case I wouldn't worry. Looking at their stats, you have a 99% chance of being rejected.

Marilena
11-15-2010, 04:00 AM
Never offer an exclusive if you can possibly help it. In this case I wouldn't worry. Looking at their stats, you have a 99% chance of being rejected.

Yes you have right, thank you for your reply!:)

jtrylch13
11-19-2010, 09:42 PM
I am preparing to make my first ever submission and I chose Adams Literary. Couple of questions about their online form though, if anyone can help. In their "Subject" window, are they looking for the title of the book or the genre it is written in? Also, I prepared a "query" although I guess it's really a "submission" letter. I plan on putting that in the message window. Is that overkill? Thanks for your help.

kaitie
11-19-2010, 10:12 PM
Even if you're sending via online form you should still be sending a query. I'm not sure what you mean by submission letter because I've never heard the phrase.

I always put the phrase "QUERY" and the title of my book in the subject line. Janet Reid said once upon a time that you should also include the genre, but I generally don't.

jtrylch13
11-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Thank you so much for your help. That is pretty much what I was thinking, but as a newbie, I need my hand held now and then. When I said "submission letter" I was sort of making it up. Basically, I was referring to the fact that a query letter is finding out if someone is interested in reading your manuscript. As Adams Literary requests the entire manuscript up front, you're not really querying their interest, but hopefully setting your manuscript up in a favorable light. Thanks again!

jtrylch13
11-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Oh, by the way, made my first ever submission on 11-19-10 to Tracey Adams. And so we wait.....

Barb D
12-09-2010, 12:53 AM
Has anybody heard from Adams lately? I queried (non exclusive) over nine months ago and haven't heard a word beyond the confirmation that they got it.

ETA: Ah - Just checked their website and see that they no longer respond if not interested. I guess there's my answer.

ILove2Write
01-20-2011, 05:41 AM
So, I was looking at the their submission page and it says "Please fill in the form below to send us a query or submission."

I know in the past people have sent just a query, but has anyone lately? Their PDF (which is so hard to read unless you download it) says nothing about a query - so I'm confused. I would rather just send a query first to see if they are interested before sending off an entire manuscript.

Anyone know?

JessGirl
01-23-2011, 12:54 PM
I believe they want the entire manuscript.

limitless
02-08-2011, 10:11 PM
I sent a query the the Adam's Literary Agency. I got an email requesting my full manuscript. Is this a good sign? Or is it just a normal step?

PinkAmy
02-08-2011, 10:17 PM
I sent a query the the Adam's Literary Agency. I got an email requesting my full manuscript. Is this a good sign? Or is it just a normal step?

Very good sign. They liked your query enough to want to read your manuscript. That doesn't mean the agent will rep you, but you can take pride that your query drew the agent in!

Jamiekswriter
02-08-2011, 10:19 PM
These guys?

They seem legit with a sale to scholastic. Yes, I definitely would say it's a good sign!!!!

limitless
02-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Yeah it was them and cool, now to fully edit it and send it off ^^

Cyia
02-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Yeah it was them and cool, now to fully edit it and send it off ^^

It should already be edited BEFORE you query. When an agent requests a full, they expect to see it in their in-box within 48hrs.

limitless
02-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Really? Oh well that blows, I guess I got to get this done then.

Samara Jensen
02-09-2011, 11:32 PM
When I said "submission letter" I was sort of making it up. Basically, I was referring to the fact that a query letter is finding out if someone is interested in reading your manuscript.

I say "submission letter" too! I thought that was a British thing.... ;)

I've just queried Tracey Adams using the online submission form on the agency website. This is an interesting system for submissions and one I've not come across before. I'm not sure if I like it or not.

On the one hand, submitting through query letters and partials gives a writer a chance to get a 'feel' for an agent through their replies to emails, letters, etc. On the other hand, I like the idea of sending your complete manuscript up front - it's so much quicker. Plus, it means you have one more full out there and that's one more chance of finding representation...

Sleigh88
03-15-2011, 03:16 AM
Josh has had my full for 3 months, now. I got to query him directly, and he asked for the full back in December.

Sent a polite status query at the two-month mark (mainly to make sure he'd gotten the material, as there was no confirmation receipt) and received a polite haven't-forgotten-it-looking-forward-to-reading. Still nothing, but I love how professional and pleasant they are. They also rep some of my favorite childhood authors--would LOVE to get an offer from these folks.

(Also, it seems every time I post about how I haven't heard from an agent yet, I hear from that agent almost immediately following. Yes. I'm shamelessly buying into my superstition.) ;)

Good luck to everyone!

Lilreeper
03-15-2011, 05:38 AM
Just sent out a non-exclusive full. Will update if I get a response!

Belle_91
05-10-2011, 06:16 PM
On their query form where it says message* do you just copy your query letter there? Thanks

Samara Jensen
05-10-2011, 06:31 PM
On their query form where it says message* do you just copy your query letter there? Thanks

That's how I did it. :)

On another note, I received an email from Quinlan Lee at Adams Literary just a few days after I submitted my full manuscript using the online form. It said that Adams Literary were really enjoying my work so far and asked what other ideas I had for the title character and what other projects I had in the pipeline.

I emailed back with the synopsis for the second book in the series, plus a synopsis for another project and ideas for a few other projects I am working on. I also offered to email across the first draft of another novel I had completed. Quinlan Lee emailed me back to request that I send that manuscript over too, which I did the very next day. And since then, I have heard nothing. I nudged last week, as it had been 10 weeks and the response time indicated on the website is 8 weeks, but I've heard nothing from my nudge.

It's all very disappointing as the initial response to my submission was so quick and so positive. I'm hoping it's just a case that the agency is really busy and they haven't got around to looking at the rest of my work yet, but the waiting is awful.

Has anyone heard back on their submissions to Adams Literary recently?

EliseLovette
05-10-2011, 10:18 PM
That's how I did it. :)

On another note, I received an email from Quinlan Lee at Adams Literary just a few days after I submitted my full manuscript using the online form. It said that Adams Literary were really enjoying my work so far and asked what other ideas I had for the title character and what other projects I had in the pipeline.

I emailed back with the synopsis for the second book in the series, plus a synopsis for another project and ideas for a few other projects I am working on. I also offered to email across the first draft of another novel I had completed. Quinlan Lee emailed me back to request that I send that manuscript over too, which I did the very next day. And since then, I have heard nothing. I nudged last week, as it had been 10 weeks and the response time indicated on the website is 8 weeks, but I've heard nothing from my nudge.

It's all very disappointing as the initial response to my submission was so quick and so positive. I'm hoping it's just a case that the agency is really busy and they haven't got around to looking at the rest of my work yet, but the waiting is awful.

Has anyone heard back on their submissions to Adams Literary recently?

Wow, I really hope this works out for you. However, if a top agency like them can be so interested in your work, then you are definitely doing something right.

Samara Jensen
05-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Wow, I really hope this works out for you. However, if a top agency like them can be so interested in your work, then you are definitely doing something right.

Thanks Elise! I'd love for things to work out with this agency, but it's been so long now that I'm losing hope. I thought I'd at least get a reply to my nudge, but maybe they haven't had a chance to read it yet...

Anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed and keep waiting! :D

Emrys
05-11-2011, 07:28 PM
I submitted to them via online form yesterday. I like that they ask for the full MS to be attached. Keeping fingers crossed!

alvin123
06-14-2011, 12:28 AM
Are they a good agency? I have been debating querying them...it seems like they judge your work by the first few pages...i am not sure how i feel about giving an exclusive. has anyone gotten positive feedback from this agency?

Really? Ouch. I start off with action and good stuff, but does this includes the prologue?
Anyway, so far in this thread, I haven't seen anyone who has been accepted yet. This doesn't make me worry, but I can tell these guys don't play around and are picky. (As many agents are)

I have to say, I sent a query first and then they asked for a full. "We'll be happy to take a look at THE DESTINED."

I was excited to see this message. I'm still going to hang in there until I get the Acceptance or rejection.

alvin123
06-20-2011, 10:04 PM
I don't know anything about Adams Literary, but I do shy away from the word "exclusive." I had one agent ask for an exclusive look at a manuscript, but I explained that other agents already had it in hand. She asked for what I'd call first option, and I agreed. She was prompt in her rejection. Good luck, whatever you decide to do. But again, think long and hard about six weeks without queries, etc.

HOLY CRAP. GONE WITH THE WIND WAS REJECTED 132 TIMES ooooo__________ooooooo. (quoting your sig actually)
Harry Potter was rejected 12 times. But 132 O_O .. wow

tanstaafl8
08-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Personalized rejection today. Said it was well-written, but that they didn't connect with it the way they'd hoped, etc. etc. Ah well.

tanstaafl8
08-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Hmm. Read through to the bottom this time : "Please keep in mind that ours is just one opinion, and we encourage you to continue pursuing your passion for children's literature. We think you are a writer of great possibility, and if you continue to seek representation, we would be happy to see more work from you in the future."

Well, that's nice. Unless they say that to all the girls... ;)

Beckstah
08-10-2011, 05:42 PM
That's not part of their typical form, tanstaafl8. You should definitely be proud! :D

tanstaafl8
08-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Thanks, Beckstah. Ah well. "Always the bridesmaid..."

psymun
12-10-2011, 08:17 AM
Hello all :D Are many people waiting for hear back from these guys at the moment? I just sent a query so I'm right at the beginning of the waiting period :s

nash
02-16-2012, 03:55 AM
I'm waiting too. I used their website's form to upload my query and full ms a few weeks ago. (YA fantasy)

LLW
02-16-2012, 04:08 AM
I'm waiting too. I used their website's form to upload my query and full ms a few weeks ago. (YA fantasy)
Ditto. I used their online form near the end of January, but I think they said they contact you within 6 weeks ... if interested...... :)

mom25
03-13-2012, 01:19 AM
Has anyone heard anything? I'm approaching the 6 week mark as well. . . curious with the Bologna Book fair coming up.

Chumplet
03-13-2012, 03:24 AM
I noticed an "Exclusive" box to check when submitting, but I don't see any requirement that the submission be exclusive. I'll submit my MS but won't click the exclusive box, as I have a full out elsewhere, and of course a number of outstanding queries to both agents and publishers.

We'll see what happens.

ETA: Got through the process but at the last minute decided to correct the spelling of my last name. As I was choosing my alternate email address, the submission suddenly went through without me telling it to. I got the confirmation email so I hope they have the right name, etc.

tbrosz
03-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Six weeks for me was last Friday.

GFanthome
11-20-2012, 07:55 PM
I just queried them this morning (non-exclusive). It may take more time to hear back from them, but it will enable me to query elsewhere in the meantime, as it may take some time for them to reply.

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Beckstah
11-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Good luck, guys! I sent my materials a couple weeks ago. It may take them much longer than six weeks to reply, but they generally do, and they're great people.

trocadero
11-21-2012, 09:28 AM
This is a dream agency in my opinion. I love the kinds of books they represent and would love to be represented by them. On my second last project they offered to look at my YA novel if I reworked some areas, but eventually passed. On my last piece, a MG novel, they said they liked lots about it but not the resolution. (This was in Feb this year). I reworked it from the start to tighten the plot structure, and in April I brazenly asked if they'd consider looking at it again, with massive revisions. They said sure. I sent it back to them in April, but have heard nothing since. I politely nudged in July, but heard nothing. I guess that's a no:) Two other great agents asked for fulls in August, and I'm still waiting to hear. As always, I'm trying to balance being realism verging on pessimism with sending out positive vibes to the universe...

Yep. Being repped by them would be lovely.

J. Anne Bradshaw
04-21-2014, 11:19 PM
It's been nearly thirteen weeks since I submitted with no response, so I'm going to go ahead and cross them off the list. That being said, I had an agency request a full about two weeks ago, so I'm staying positive :)

horrorchix89
02-28-2017, 01:46 PM
Any info on this agency? I searched but couldn't find anything

Helix
02-28-2017, 01:57 PM
There's a thread here about them: <snipped>

horrorchix89
03-01-2017, 01:05 AM
Weird, I used the search feature and nothing came up...anyway, thanks

Thedrellum
03-01-2017, 08:27 PM
Weird, I used the search feature and nothing came up...anyway, thanks

The search feature is not always reliable, so I go through the actual Index to Agents, Publishers, and Others (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?792-INDEX-TO-AGENTS-PUBLISHERS-AND-OTHERS) sticky, or search "Absolute Write Water Cooler [name]" on Google.