Favorite pet tricks?

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Does anyone have a favorite pet trick to share? How did you teach your pet to do the trick? Maybe someone will be inspired to teach their animal the same trick! And you might also turn the experience into an article that would tickle some editor's fancy. :)

I'll go first. Here's one of Rio's best tricks:

Anne: Be a little doggy, Rio.

Rio (in a high-pitched voice): Arf, arf.

Anne: Good! Now be a big dog.

Rio (in a deep voice): All right. Woof! Woof!

He learned to say 'all right' before barking because I must have always said, "Be a big dog, all right?" when I was teaching him to bark.

Okay, okay. Stop groaning. It's really cute to hear him do it! hehe.

Next?

Wormo

Getting By
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Our dog (although it's mastered the basics of sit, stand, roll) has learnt how to play the 'which hand game'

You take a treat and shuffle your hands behind your back, offer her both hands and she'll give her paw to the one she thinks it's in.

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
If you ask my Dalmatian "Sparky, would you rather be a policeman or be dead?", he will roll over on his back and play dead.

That's always a big hit up at the police station!

Brady H.

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
awatkins said:
Here's one of Rio's best tricks:
Anne: Be a little doggy, Rio.
Rio (in a high-pitched voice): Arf, arf.
Anne: Good! Now be a big dog.
Rio (in a deep voice): All right. Woof! Woof!
Where can I buy the video!!!

As for my hound, he refuses to learn tricks. In fact, he's really not at all into that whole "obedience" thing. He is good at sleeping and generating big pools of drool, though.

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
My Rott has learned how to ring the backdoor door bell. I didn't teach him to do it.

My guess is he jumped at the door one day and accidentally hit the bell. The first time he did it, I heard the door bell, went to the front door thinking someone was at the door, I opened the door and there wasn't anyone there. I thought.."huh?", then I heard it again. It was my silly dog! Since, he has learned to hit the bell with his paw whenever he wants in. I guess, he just learned by putting the two together -- bell rings, mom comes to the door. He's been doing it ever since. About two months now. Crazy dawg! Lol...

GHF65

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My Paint horse, Zip, sweeps the mat in front of his stall with a broom. He also fetches anything I throw and picks up his feet on command. We're working (are you ready?) on line dancing. :thankyou: He's enthusiastic, but doesn't have much rhythm. Reminds me of my ex-husband.

We're not quite ready for TV. The only trick he'll perform without fail is the one where he walks away from me in mid-command, picks a likely suspect, stands on him, and frisks him for cookies. He's a big boy. When he gets affectionate, it ain't pretty. The snot factor alone is intimidating.

Joanne

bcg61

Something the cat dragged in
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writing-in-the-sand.com
My cat fetches. I can throw a catnip mouse, say "Bring it, Max" and Max goes and gets it, and brings it back to me, either drops it at my feet or sometimes places it in my hand, and waits for me to throw it again. My husband taught him this when he was about 6 months old.