PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter rescue

ink wench
09-26-2008, 07:33 PM
I've been searching online all morning and not finding exactly the answers I need. Hoping the wise people in here can help.

Here's my scenario: I've got three people on the side of a mountain who need to be lifted off. Person 1 is slightly wounded. Person 2 does not want to leave the mountain. And Person 3 is a highly trained government agent who wants to see to it that Person 2 leaves the mountain with him at all costs.

What would the helicopter crew need to lower to get all three people off the mountain? I'm assuming it's not a normal harness since Person 1 is wounded, and Person 2 would refuse to put it on. Is there something else that can be lowered and if so what?

Thanks!

qwerty
09-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Depending on the degree of injuries, a stretcher with a winch man would be lowered from the copter if necessary. Harnesses, again with the winch man, would be then be lowered, one at a time for the other two men.

How you get the one reluctant to leave into a harness is down to your story. The copter crew would not have the authority to exert force, so I guess your government agent would need to knock him out so he is lifted by stretcher.

RJK
09-26-2008, 08:51 PM
A Stokes Stretcher would normally be used for the wounded person. If the helicopter is big enough you could lower a basket where all three persons could be lifted. Depends on how severe the injuries are on person #1.

Go to this (http://lifesavingequipment.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=STR-SL&Category_Code=str) link to see the Stokes stretcher.

In the Navy, we had the H 53 and the H 60 which were huge. You could lift vehicles with those.
A light helo would only handle one person at a time and may not be able to carry 3 extra people. One of the old Huey's would be big enough.

ink wench
09-26-2008, 09:15 PM
Thank you, guys! So just calling the thing they lower for my wounded person a stretcher is accurate? Figures. I was afraid there was some other technical term that I was missing. Hmm... actually lowering a basket would be ideal, though. My character is not so physically wounded, more mental and half-starved. And basket would be the correct term?

RLB, good to know about the size. It can certainly be a good-sized vehicle. My MC/view point character knows nothing about helicopters, though, so she's probably just going to refer to it as "big and military-looking."

waylander
09-26-2008, 10:25 PM
The key point is that the winch man would be lowered from the helicopter to fasten the people to be rescued into the harness or stretcher.

jclarkdawe
09-26-2008, 10:58 PM
Normal usage would be to call it a "Stokes." That way you know the difference between it and various other things that can be called a stretcher. A Stokes is more a basket than what you'd normally think of a stretcher. Patient can be placed on a backboard or not. Patient will be so securely fastened to the Stokes (or the backboard for that matter) that the patient doesn't fall out even if held upside down (in class, we test this -- not fun when you get to play the patient).

To repeat someone else, you can't force someone to be rescued.

Best of usage,

Jim Clark-Dawe

ink wench
09-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Awesome, thank you both. Ok, so it will be referred to as a Stokes by the guy who knows what he's talking about, and as a stretcher by my MC who doesn't.

No, you can't force someone to be rescued, but you can kidnap them, which is how my MC views it. I guess she will be *cough* persuaded *cough* into a harness by a pair of handcuffs and a couple large men with firearms.

FennelGiraffe
09-26-2008, 11:48 PM
Maybe a picture will help: http://www.cmcrescue.com/product.php?dept_id=1607
(http://www.cmcrescue.com/product.php?CatalogID=1&dept_id=1607&rootNode=0&pid=20409) (The link's actually for the harness, not the Stokes itself, because it's a better picture of how it looks in use.)

Tsu Dho Nimh
09-27-2008, 07:43 PM
All the secret agent has to do is bash the reluctant one in the head before the chopper gets there, and say they slipped on a rock ... the healthiest person - the agent - would be the last to go up, followed by the harness handler who came down with the basket.

A non-technical person would probably call it a "basket".