Baffling Website Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

fullbookjacket

Registered
Reaction score
I've never encountered this before.

There's a college sports website I frequent, and have tagged it as a "favorite" for years.

We recently switched our internet connection to "Turbo" from Brighthouse. Supposed to be lightning-quick, but I don't notice any difference at all. Anyway, that's not the problem. As soon as we switched to Turbo, we were instructed to disconnect the modem, reconnect, and reboot. Did that. From that moment on, I haven't been able to connect to my favorite website. Funny thing is, we've got two laptops on wireless connection to the same modem, and THEY can connect to the website. So I'm assuming the problem is with my main desktop PC.

Anybody have any ideas?

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
What sort of error do you get? Time out? Can't connect? Site certificate error?

Have you tried clearing the cookies, temp internet files, and such?

Have you checked for and cleaned off spyware? (If you have spyware hogging your bandwidth, you won't be able to get where you want to.) Trendmicro's House call checks for virii and spy/malware and is free. AdAware is good too (also a free version.)

Are there any other sites that give you problems?

What internet browser do you use (Internet Explorer? Firefox? something else.)

This should get you started.

fullbookjacket

Registered
Reaction score
Clair,
Thanks for the quick response.

I get a "can't find the server" message. I've cleared off all cookies and temporary internet files and such. I've cleaned my computer with both Adaware and SpyHunter. To my knowledge, there's no other website giving me this problem. I've tried opening it from both Firefox and Microsoft Internet Explorer. No luck.

As I said, my laptops have no problem connecting to it from the wireless router.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Okay. Hm. So, it's not the router. Not the browser. And other sites work fine from the desktop.

Is this a popular site? And do you have any programs (like Outlook or something) running? Every now and again, my Outlook gets weird and seems to stop me from connecting to AW. If you have Outlook, shut it down and see if it helps. (Okay, could me a long shot.)

The other long shot is to shut down the desktop, reset the router, then boot them both back up.

That's weird that ONE site is failing you on only one computer... but check your firewall and see if it's blocking that site, maybe?

I'm grabbing a straws on this one. Usually it's all or nothing with networks.

Status
Not open for further replies.