PDA

View Full Version : Questions for beta readers, some writing book...

Ren
09-24-2008, 10:28 PM
A friend of mine has a book on writing, for fantasy writers I think, that has a chapter on questions to ask a reader to make them a good reader. I believe it talks about the author asking his wife said questions in order to make her a good reader. (IE, she knows what to read for).

I cannot for the life of me remember the book or author, and I'm in the middle of a disagreement with the friend who owns the book so....

Can anyone help me based on this vague description??

Kitty Pryde
09-24-2008, 11:23 PM
It could be 'the science of writing science fiction' by james gunn. There's a chapter on how to be a good critiquer. It's online here: http://www2.ku.edu/~sfcenter/critique.htm
No wives though. That's my best guess.

Mr Flibble
09-24-2008, 11:34 PM
How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy, Orson Scott Card?

He talks of creating a Wise Reader of his wife.

batgirl
09-25-2008, 12:22 AM
I'm with Idiots. It sounds like Orson Scott Card's book on writing sf and fantasy - which reminds me I should get my copy back from the friend who borrowed it.
-Barbara

Ren
09-25-2008, 11:49 PM
Yes! Oh I love you, Idiots! That's the very book!

*hugs everyone*

Wheeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

*runs off to find that darned beta*

Dara
09-25-2008, 11:49 PM
The only fantasy writing book I have is "How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy" by Orson Scott Card, but I don't think it's the one you mean.

Ren
09-28-2008, 12:57 AM
So, Idiots or batgirl, can either of you post the questions I mean, or direct me to a place to find them online?