PDA

View Full Version : Horse question - raising foal without mother (1870's)

BarbaraKE
09-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Hi all - quick question. Let's say a foal is born but the mother dies within a few hours. Could the foal conceivable survive on cow and/or goat's milk?

(The story is set in 1870 so they didn't have any modern substitutions. And - no - there's no other mare around.)

MaryMumsy
09-24-2008, 08:50 PM
Google is your friend.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/horse-health/2004/February/07/Veterinary-Topics-Recipe-to-raise-a-foal.aspx

MM

BarbaraKE
09-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Thank you for your response. Evidently a foal can be raised successfully on goat's milk so that's good.

PS - I do use google quite a bit. Unfortunately I have an extremely slow internet connection (my options are limited where I live) and it sometimes takes me quite a while to find what I need. I knew someone here would know right off the top of their head and could give me a quick yes/no. Thanks.

MaryMumsy
09-24-2008, 10:21 PM
I have cable internet, and don't mind doing research. Hope the answer gets you where you want to go.

MM

Tasmin21
09-24-2008, 10:32 PM
Just to back up what you already know... ;)

My mother lost a mare last summer and raised the baby on goat's milk. They actually had to get three goats to keep up.

Leva
09-25-2008, 05:41 PM
I've seen a foal actually nursing directly from a cow -- the mare rejected the foal and the cow adopted her.

Tasmin: I'm surprised they needed that many goats. A good dairy goat can produce quite a bit of milk.