Squirrel in the house

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
I live in a tree city which means I have lots of squirrels in my yard and around my house. They like to run across the roof from tree to tree. Tonight, I'm talking to my mom and I hear a rustling coming from one of the bedrooms. I go to investigate, but I don't see anything.

A little bit later, I'm in the bedroom that I use as a study working on the computer and I hear the rustling sound again. It's coming from the built in cabinets over the closet. The cabinet door is partially open. My first thought was "OMG There's a rat up there!"

I jump up out of my chair to run out of the room and I look up and this juvenile squirrel pokes it's head out of the cabinet. I squeal, "Ah! It's a squirrel!" which of course scares the squirrel. He jumps out of the cabinet onto a box. I scream and run into the living room. The squirrel runs into the living room after me. The cat sees the squirrel and pounces at the squirrel. I yell at the cat to let the squirrel go. The dog runs into the living room to see what is going on. The squirrel runs into the bathroom.

I run to the front door and open the door to let the squirrel out. I run back to the bathroom. The dog is trying to play with the squirrel. The squirrel is madly trying to climb the tile wall to get away from the big black dog. I get the dog to go back into the living room. The squirrel races back into the living room. The cat is waiting for him, but misses. The squirrel hides under the end table.

The dog sees the open front door and decides he is going to go out. I grab the dog, herd him into My mom's area (bedroom and bath) of the house and close the door. I grab the cat and toss him back in my mom's area so that I can get the squirrel safely out of the house.

I open the front door again so that I can get him to run out of it. I start searching the living room for the squirrel. I can't find him. Just about the time I decide that he must have run out the front door, he comes racing in from the hall and under the end table. I grab the broom to persuade him out from under the table and for the next five minutes I try to chase the squirrel out of the house and of course he goes in the opposite direction everytime I corner him. If you've ever watched a squirrel try to cross a road, then you'll understand why it took me so long. Meanwhile, the dog is on the other side of the door barking and the cat is howling because they want the squirrel.

Finally, the squirrel ran into the kitchen and I was able to get that door open so he could run out of the house and into the backyard.

I don't know if it is as funny in my telling, but I just had to share.

The house I live in was built in 1950. The central heat and air were installed in the 70's. The squirrel got into the cabinet through the eaves, through the attic and along an air conditioning duct.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
OH, yes, it's funny! It's even more funny when you've lived in a densely squrriel populated area and have owned attack cats and let's all be friends dogs.

going to get the paper towels for the key board now.

Stlight

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
OH, yes, it's funny! It's even more funny when you've lived in a densely squrriel populated area and have owned attack cats and let's all be friends dogs.

Ditto to this. Except I have one let's-all-be-friends dog and one dog that thinks everything is dangerous... ESPECIALLY squirrels. I have to kennel her every time she sees one because she's going to hurt herself over the thing.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Intrusive little buggers, aren't they? And yes, it is funny. Very funny...

Last winter, my mom and I put wire (like chicken wire) fencing around the back deck for safety, which included rigging sort of an ersatz gate at the top of the stairs. Well, one afternoon, a squirrel climbed up over the fencing in search of the bird feeder. I was in the dining room at the time, so I banged on the side of the door a couple of times to scare him off. He jumped off the feeder and ran for the stairs - only to kaboing! off the wire. So he ran for the other side and - kaboing! off the wire there. Then he panicked. He went running frantically around the porch, bouncing off the wire, trying the gate, bouncing off, bouncing off somewhere else, seeing the gate again and forgetting he'd tried it and slamming into the wire again - for a good five minutes at least. Meanwhile, I'm standing there laughing so hard I almost can't stand up and my mom had come running in because she thought something along the lines of an elephant had to be trying to get off the porch. The squirrel finally remembered that he'd climbed up onto the porch, so he climbed over the gate and ran off...

How they can be so stupid yet so ingenious when it comes to getting in a birdfeeder, I'll never know.

Last edited:

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I have nothing against squirrels, as long as they stay in their place, which is downstairs and out of the bird feeder.

BTW, does anyone know why there are a bunch of squirrels in the backyard carrying protest signs and chanting "Fight the Power! Fight The Power!"

smoothseas

Life sucks... Then ya die...
Registered
Reaction score
yawn... in da land of the terminally bored.
lol - too funny. You should tweak that a bit and try and get it published.

btw, squirrels belong to the rodenta family, with ever-growing incisor teeth. They can, and will, decimate anything wooden. My mother's pet demolished the feet on her sofa and two end tables with lots and lots of squirre-teeth marks.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I'd have thought the same thing as you.......a rat is in the bedroom. Just think of how funny it would have been if you'd video taped the whole event. I have a backyard full of squirrels too.

I've also got two labs who don't seem to mind having them visit inside the house. I came home one day and the sliding door must have been left open a few inches so one got inside. I walk in and the dogs are all happy pointing out their little friend sitting on a chair eating the sunflower seeds out of the bag. The squirrel had been taught good table manner though. All his discarded seeds were put back inside the bag of seeds. I had no mess at all to clean up except maybe six little shells.

I told the squirrel I appreciated his cleanliness and sent him on his merry way. I told the dogs they sucked at being watch dogs.:D

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
We used to have squirrels in our attic when I was growing up. Now it's opossums.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
LOL. I read that really fast and I thought you said you jumped up ONTO your chair and screamed. I had this image from the cartoons where the woman is standing on a chair and the rodent is sticking it's tongue out at her.

If a squirrel ever got into our house, the house would be trashed. Our dogs go crazy everytime a squirrel is in the yard and want to be put outside to see if they can get it. We can't even say the word "squirrel" and they go crazy. The damage those two would do chasing a squirrel... *shudders*

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bunny's adventure was funny, sometimes, not so much. When I was in high school some people went on vacation. I think they were gone a month. The minute they opened their front door on returning, they backed right out and called the police. At first they thought someone had broken in and trashed the place. Two squirrels had come down the chimney from the roof. Couldn't get back out. Ate carpeting, ate upholstery, peed and pooped everywhere, and finally starved to death. They had a hellacious mess.

MM

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
We had a squirrel invade the office at my old job once. He used to come to the window where one of my colleagues would throw him nuts. Until the day he noticed the bag - inside.
Not such a merry race as yours, he just scuttled along the window ledge and left pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
If a squirrel ever got into our house, the house would be trashed. Our dogs go crazy everytime a squirrel is in the yard and want to be put outside to see if they can get it. We can't even say the word "squirrel" and they go crazy. The damage those two would do chasing a squirrel... *shudders*

My sun conure ever-so-thoughtfully goes ballistic screaming every time she sees a squirrel on the porch.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Bunny's adventure was funny, sometimes, not so much. When I was in high school some people went on vacation. I think they were gone a month. The minute they opened their front door on returning, they backed right out and called the police. At first they thought someone had broken in and trashed the place. Two squirrels had come down the chimney from the roof. Couldn't get back out. Ate carpeting, ate upholstery, peed and pooped everywhere, and finally starved to death. They had a hellacious mess.

MM

I knew some people who had this happen with a raccoon. They were out of town for a couple of months and while they were gone a mother coon got into the house. She proceeded to rip the couch apart and made a home for her babies. When the people returned they noticed the couch ripped to shreds. It seems that was all the coon destroyed. She came in the air vent and evidently left by that too because she wasn't home when they arrived. When they looked into the hole of the couch, they saw three little faces looking up at them. They were all fat and happy, lying in a bed of cushions waiting for mom to return.

The people drug the couch outside with the babies still in it and left it there. Evidently the mother came back and made other arrangements for the kids because the kids were gone within hours of being outside. They said that weeks later they noticed a mother and three babies lurking around their bird feeder at night. They were sure it was mom and the kids. My friend said she wanted to get mad but seeing those little faces looking up at her so scared, eased her pain just a bit.

crazynance

~call me Mrs Writer ~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
crazynance.livejournal.com
Is this a feature film yet? Because I can sure see one in the making :D

Kinda like the time a bat flew into the bathroom while my mother in law was showering.. MIL's vision wasn't that great, and her nerves were shot from the time she was grocery shopping and the tarantula jumped on her.. :D poor gal!

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
What was that comedy about the two bumbling idiots that destroyed a house trying to get rid of a mouse?
I can see a sequel in the making featuring a squirrel! :D
Btw Bunny I'm not calling you a bumbling idiot! ;)

crazynance

~call me Mrs Writer ~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
crazynance.livejournal.com
How they can be so stupid yet so ingenious when it comes to getting in a birdfeeder, I'll never know.

It's the panic. We have squirrels that run across the wires. They do it all day everyday, with no ill effects. Until my dog comes outside, sees them, and starts barking and leaping in the air to try to catch them [he aint smart, but he's cute, ok?] Now, I have never seen a dog reach the wire. The squirrels don't seem to have this fact in their brain - when they see/hear my dog, they PANIC!. And then they panic again. They start falling off the wire, which they grab again, making them look like a little twirling thing, then they retreat the way they came.
Crazy. A cat would have laid down on the wire, looked at the dog, and stuck out its tongue. Then it would have peed in the dog's eye.
The dog would still have said he won.
By the way, my dog does NOT understand pointing. I say squirrel and point to where it's running down the fence. He runs the other way. Daft. :D
Worth every cent in entertainment is our dog.

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I had had a video camera. The initial encounter was sort of like this superbowl commercial http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu9ibUWIq8A

I've had rats build nests in my house before. In the very same cabinet the squirrel was in. This is the first time that I've caught one of the rodents actually in the cabinet. I really need to find the hole they are using to get into the house and block it closed.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Reminds me of the Chevy Chase movie 'Christmas Vacation' when the squirrel got into the house via the christmas tree and the dog chased the squirrel around destroying the house.

Richard

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
Reminds me of the Chevy Chase movie 'Christmas Vacation' when the squirrel got into the house via the christmas tree and the dog chased the squirrel around destroying the house.
Yep, that's about what it looked like. :)

When I finally let the dog and the cat back in they went searching for the squirrel.
Cat: I know there was a squirrel in here somewhere.
Dog: Yeah, I can still smell him. *sniffing the carpet* He was here. Right here on this carpet.
Cat: Well where is he now? He's not under the end table.
Dog (now under the dining room table): He was here. too. But, I don't see him.
Cat: Bummer. She's always taking my playthings away.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Slapstick, Beach Bunny. Pure slapstick comedy.