Dream Agent First or Wait?

MatchmakerJane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bitterpudding.blogspot.com
This may not go here but....

Any advice/suggestions on who to query first on your agent list?

Should I query my dream agent first? I don't know if I could handle being rejected by my top choices right off the bat.

What have others done/experience?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've sent out several queries including to my three dream agencies. One asked for several pages and then passed and it did sting more than 'no's' from the ones who weren't my dream three. But at least one of my three wanted some sample pages. I haven't heard from the others.

My opinion send out your query with none dream agencies. Your dream agency might take a while to respond and you could get postive feedback from the others.

Good luck

Snowbird

Registered
Reaction score
If you're 100% certain that your manuscript is polished to perfection, then query your dream agent. However, I honestly feel it's wise to begin the process by sending out queries to agents that are a little further down on your list, and here's why: You might get valuable feedback that you'll want to incorporate into your manuscript, and if you've already been rejected by your dream agent, you'll kick yourself.

Best of luck!

Danthia

I would query all the agents that you feel stand the best chance at selling the type of novel you have, the ones that fit your style and have recently sold (within the last year) what you write.

I'd be hesitant about sending queries to the "lower agents" first, because if they bite, then you have no queries out at the agents you really want. While it's perfectly acceptable to contact agents currently reading your work when you get an offer, it's a bit unprofessinal to send out a new round of queries after you find out your query "works." Make sure the query works before you send any out.

I worked from my top choices down. I had about 8 agents on my A-list that I researched and felt I was a good fit for. I queried all of them. I ended up signing with one, but had I not, I had another round of 8 or so on the B-list, and then my C-list.

One thing to remember about queries...
A fresh idea, strong voice and proof that you can write will get you requests for pages. It isn't about the right format or the perfect combination of things. If you have a great idea agents haven't seen a million times, your query proives you have command of the English language, and you come across as a professional, then you have a good shot.

Having a query that is sloppy, unprofessional and badly written will sink you every time, even if the idea is good. You'd be shocked at how accurately you can tell what a novel will be like from the query.

Good luck!

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
This is a conundrum indeed. In my experience, my query and manuscript changed drastically during the query process, and the agents that I queried later in the process were more interested than the first ones, because I had a more polished product. So, if you are absolutely confident that your stuff is top notch, go ahead and query your top choices. But if you anticipate making revision based on agent feedback, then save your top choices for later. Not necessarily for last, just for later. Besides, if you get an offer from an agent, you can always ask for some time to decide while you pursue your top choices.

MatchmakerJane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I feel the manuscript is pretty darn polished. I've been working with an editor for nearly 5 months getting it all shined up. I'm not at "query phase" just yet as I feel that my letter probably needs to go through a few more revisions.

I guess I'm worried about making the wrong move (aren't we all!)

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I think Danthia makes good points. I'd add that the concept of "dream agent" is a little iffy anyway. You're presumably querying only agents who represent your kind of work, have sold stuff, and are reputable. Beyond that, it's hard to know what any agent is like to work with. On paper some of them might look like a "dream," but then you hear stuff about decisions they've made or how they are to work with that make you realize they're all human. Just like us.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
I think Danthia makes good points. I'd add that the concept of "dream agent" is a little iffy anyway. You're presumably querying only agents who represent your kind of work, have sold stuff, and are reputable. Beyond that, it's hard to know what any agent is like to work with. On paper some of them might look like a "dream," but then you hear stuff about decisions they've made or how they are to work with that make you realize they're all human. Just like us.

Dawinsor makes some excellent points, and I agree wholeheartedly with her and Danthia. I made my list of favorite agents based only on what I'd heard about them. I'd had no personal dealings with any of them. They were the ones who blogged, the ones who made the rounds being interviewed by every writer-blogger on the internet, who took pitches at all the big-name writers conferences, the ones who posted their deals in Publishers Marketplace. But you know what? High profile doesn't necessarily mean "great agent." Some of the best agents in the business don't blog or report their deals or attend conferences. They're too busy working for their clients getting them publishing deals. I was lucky to snag one of them and it's the best choice I've ever made. She's my dream agent, and I didn't even know it before I found her.

SevenIsles

Registered
Reaction score
Start from the top down (in terms of your carefully-researched wish list, not in terms of agent prestige.) I made the mistake of starting from the middle, and ended up having to say no to an offer from an agent... there was nothing wrong with her, but I just knew I could do better. It all worked out OK in the end. I love my agent and am very glad I held out for the best. But if I had STARTED by QUERYING the best, I wouldn't previously have had to go through that agonizing week of omg-if-I-reject-this-offer-will-I-be-throwing-away-my-future?

So learn from my mistakes, and if your ms really is good to go, send it to the agents you REALLY WANT!

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
You could always try the three-tier approach. First, only query people you would actually sign with if they offered representation. But go through your list and rank them, 1 being the agents you feel are the absolute best match, 2 being the agents who are a good match, and 3 being the agents you like and would sign with, but not necessarily if you got an offer from agents in the 1 and 2 categories first.

Then send your queries in batches of 10. Do 3 or 4 1-level agents, 3 2-level agents and 3 or 4 3-level agents. That way you've always got a good mix going.

I hope that made sense. I'm not at my most coherent at 3 AM!

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on my first WIP, and I probably won't query the top agents first. I am expecting to get many rejections (and hopefully partial requests), but I would first want to alter the MS according to any feedback that the agents give, before querying the 'top' ones.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Yes but don't you see the logical fallacy here. If you send out queries with the intent of being rejected and further improving your MS you are technically not ready to send out queries. You should be sending out queries in the hopes of gaining an agent, not in the hopes of being rejected. Yes you will likely be rejected, but what happens if you are not? What happens if you start with your least favourite agents and then one asks to represent you? What do you say then: "Um could wait a bit while I query the agent I actually wanted now?"

I know we don't want to risk being rejected by our top choices, but in not submitting to them when we decide to query, that in and of itself is a sign your MS isn't ready.

MatchmakerJane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
caromara seems to have a great suggestion.

I haven't been basing dream agents on prestige. It's based on who they've agented, what I've gleamed of their personality from their articles, blogs, this forum, etc. It's more about who I believe would be a good fit for my personality and my book.

Toothpaste hit the nail on the head. I think I would be too concerned about being offered representation from a 3rd tier agent on my list while I'm sitting on my 1st and 2nd tier.

I have no "rejection mind set" but I'm sure it may happen. I'll just have to tier out my prospects and go from there. I'm not 100% at querying phase but I like to have all my questions answered before I move forward in my research.

Can I just say you guys rock! I love hearing about everyone else's experiences.