PDA

View Full Version : Is the economy affecting you as a writer?

Jackfishwoman
09-23-2008, 05:34 AM
Are you personally feeling the pain of the bad economy?

How has it affected your writing/career? Or not?

Darzian
09-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Ummm...I'm in Sri Lanka, and there is a war going on. As a result, all my leisure activities are hopelessly limited to the extent where I spend most of my time at home. And so, I write much more than I normally would. :D

Deccydiva
09-23-2008, 02:04 PM
Nope! I've been unemployed and just above the poverty line for so long now I'm used to it! :D

Shadow_Ferret
09-23-2008, 05:59 PM
No.

And No.

Sassee
09-23-2008, 06:05 PM
The economy has caused my company to be bought out, but as far as writing...

The sun still rises, I still write, and my characters continue to frustrate me. This does not change with the current state of the economy. lol

vixey
09-23-2008, 06:05 PM
No. I wish I had some clever answer, but, it's just no.

mlhernandez
09-23-2008, 06:11 PM
No. Or rather I'll know when I get my next royalty check. If my first month release numbers dip, then I'll know readers are feeling the pinch. Luckily I don't depend on my writing income.

Kate Thornton
09-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Yes.
I spend time worrying that my IRA has lost 50% of its value in the last 6 months and I have no way to make up the losses. The time I spend working to get Social Security Disability (they don't make it easy) is time lost to writing, which is already difficult with only one hand (and the wrong non-writing hand at that) but I have no choice as I must eat. The cost of basic necessities has gone up, and I really do feel the pinch. There are so many things I would like to afford (physical therapy, new socks, etc.) but must watch the pennies.

I am living okay, but I do worry about the future and that affects my writing in a negative way.

C'mon - tell me something uplifting! Give me something to smile about! Tell me the DJIA is going back up to 15000! Tell me my solar energy stocks are going to rise up and power us all!

Claudia Gray
09-23-2008, 09:07 PM
For now, no.

I am wondering how it may affect my plans to try to go full-time in a couple of years, though. It is going to be tough to save the way I should, and there's no telling what my IRA is going to look like at that point.

angelgirl
09-23-2008, 09:19 PM
DarzianUmmm...I'm in Sri Lanka, and there is a war going on.

Thanks for putting things in perspective. Here's hoping that you and your loved ones stay safe.

Darzian
09-23-2008, 09:31 PM
DarzianUmmm...I'm in Sri Lanka, and there is a war going on.

Thanks for putting things in perspective. Here's hoping that you and your loved ones stay safe.

I'm not sure I understand the first part of that post.

But in case my post seems offensive in any way:

I did not, in any way, suggest that the financial crisis in the US is lesser to any other problem in any other nation.

Here's hoping that you and your loved ones stay safe.

Thank You. I hope to remain alive too. At least until I get published. Luckily, I am in the capital, and not in the places where the actual fighting occurs. Others are not as fortunate.

mscelina
09-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Nope. I just went full time in June and we were fortunately well-set for it. Actually, me writing full-time is saving us money--the car stays in the driveway, my smoking habit is down to a pack a week, no more happy hour bills or ordering pizza--works really well.

That and I make money lying on my couch in my sweats. *shrug* It all works out.

mscelina
09-23-2008, 09:32 PM
I'm not sure I understand the first part of that post.

She was quoting your post so that people would know to whom she referred. She was giving you a compliment. :)

Darzian
09-23-2008, 09:37 PM
She was quoting your post so that people would know to whom she referred. She was giving you a compliment. :)

Ah ok. I'm always paranoid about offending people.
Thanks

Robin Bayne
09-23-2008, 09:40 PM
I am getting less done lately-- we don't go away on short trips like we used to. Instead we stay home and do things needed around the house. Yuck. I want my day trips back so I can get some words down.

Phaeal
09-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Well, I'm just going to write harder -- it's cheap entertainment, and there's always the chance it'll bring in a few shekels.

For the rest, I'm just praying Congress won't approve any measures that put still more power in the executive and administrative branches, or that will let the finance execs float off to the Caiman Islands on their golden parachutes.

angelgirl
09-23-2008, 10:49 PM
Sorry, Darzian, if I seemed offended in any way because that was not my intent. I thought your original post served as a good reminder that things could always be worse. Now if I could just figure out how to quote previous posts in those nifty little boxes....:)

Personally, the poor economy has actually motivated me to write more. I've always dabbled a little bit, but the necessity of pulling in a little more money has made me get my butt in gear.

Straka
09-24-2008, 02:12 AM
Since I'm unpublished no in that respect. But since cost of living has gone up, I need to work more and that cuts into writing time.

Darzian
09-24-2008, 06:24 AM
Sorry, Darzian, if I seemed offended in any way because that was not my intent. I thought your original post served as a good reminder that things could always be worse. Now if I could just figure out how to quote previous posts in those nifty little boxes....:)

Personally, the poor economy has actually motivated me to write more. I've always dabbled a little bit, but the necessity of pulling in a little more money has made me get my butt in gear.

Oh my gosh, don't apologize- I'm the one who misinterpreted. Well, glad everything's cleared up.

If you want to quote, don't hit the 'reply' button. Instead click on 'quote' in the bottom right corner of the member's post that you wish to quote. ;)

BTW, I'be given up caring about the war. I used to- but it isn't worth it any more. Too many people actually support it. Anyhow, I'm writing much more because of it- since I don't go about much.

Sean D. Schaffer
09-24-2008, 06:56 AM
No.

And No.

Ditto.

Dara
09-25-2008, 11:52 PM
I've felt no effects from the bad economy. I can't tell how it's affecting publishers, but from this end as long as I've got the money for my ink cartriges, postage, and paper I'm pretty content.

CheshireCat
09-26-2008, 01:55 AM

It hasn't affected my career.

Yet anyway.

rhymegirl
09-26-2008, 10:30 PM
Yes, it is.

I quit one newspaper freelancing situation because he wouldn't give me a raise.

Then I managed to get another newspaper editor to give me the amount I wanted. I wrote 3 articles for him (including a front page story), then pitched 3 more article ideas. Know what he said? "I'm over-budget on my freelance money, so I can't give you any more assignments." Oh wonderful. I waited for about 4 or 5 months, then called him again. "A spending freeze." So no more work.

I've tried many other newspapers and they tell me the same type of thing. The freelance budget is the first thing they cut.

Michael Parks
09-26-2008, 11:59 PM
I had to leave my job at a financial services company due to a domino effect that started with failed real estate investment deals which triggered unhappy investors filing suit which led to advisors leaving which led to a huge drop in revenue which combined with the lawsuits and a freeze on raises made me unsure of the stability of the company so I found another job at a tv station which leaves me three times more busy and stressed which in turn makes getting into writing mode more of a challenge every night.

Add onto that the rising cost of damn near everything (including gas, of which I have to buy 4 times more of since I now commute 40 miles a day) and the fact that I'm the single income earner in a family of four with a mortgage and rising utility rates and I'm putting my wife through college....

Yeah, money's on my mind in an unpleasant manner. I will say this: the challenge to write is greater, but as a result, so is my determination to do it.

scheherazade
09-29-2008, 04:59 AM
Well... I was laid off six months ago and decided to devote the time to building up my confidence & habits as a writer. I took some workshops, started a novel, and found some tremendously helpful writer peers to encourage me. I feel a lot more confident now about my writing, but I'm still not doing nearly enough of it, and my novel is stuck.

I'm trying to return to work now after a summer off. It's taking some time to find something. If I don't find a job with a similar salary by November, I'll have to move back in with my parents. My mother is a huge creativity killer, so I'm seriously hoping a job will come through. But I'm in Canada, so we're not hit as extremely as in the U.S.

Rob Brown
09-29-2008, 05:22 AM
As an agent, I'm seeing things slow considerably. This has been the slowest summer in a long time and. because Sept 15 was the beginning of the season, we are seeing a slowdown. However, that's to be expected as the whole economy is slowing. I'm sure things will get better after the first of the year, but much depends on the bailout, whether it happens and whether it works. Good luck to all of you in the meantime and keep up that wonderful spirit!!

triceretops
09-29-2008, 05:30 AM
Writing? No. Sales, yes. My agent informs me, also passing correspondance along, that many of the editors are even more selective because of the economy. If things weren't tight enough. Sept has been ungodly slow for editor response to me. I have 25 subs out there, and 15 of them are way past the nudge stage.

Tri

jessicaorr
09-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Not yet, but gas prices are cutting into my book budget. Which means that they're probably cutting into other reader's spending... Though I don't think most people budget quite as much for books as I do.

Pamster
09-29-2008, 06:59 PM
I have been so busy with family, I'd say no, it's not the economy making me not write, it's no time, my time management needs tweaking...;)

Jenan Mac
09-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Mr. Mac just spent part of the summer being unemployed-- his company just closed the door one day, after making all sorts of claims that they were being bought and things were going to be fine, wonderful, sunshine and kittens. (Insert curse of choice aimed toward company owner, who is, by all accounts, a lying rat-bastard with a fat bank account in the Caribbean.) So yeah, extreme poverty and sharing the computer with a man who spent 14 hours a day sending out resumes and filling out unemployment questionnaires kinda crimped things. OTOH, his obsession with the computer helped get him a new job, so that was good. And it also gave me ample time to rethink what I'm doing-- which can be good or bad, depending on how you feel about the scenario of totally abandoning a huge project and starting a new, huger one.

Darzian
09-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't a recession affect the entire US population to some extent? Today's events certainly suggest the possibility of a recession. A newspaper even said that a recession may be the only long-term solution to the present financial crisis.

Spiny Norman
09-30-2008, 09:15 PM
I just sold my first novel, but haven't signed yet. Apparently they take a while to go through the contract, since it's an international publisher, and it's a 6-8 week process. I'm worried though, but it may be for no reason.

The book doesn't come out til Fall/Winter 09/10, so hopefully things will be better then. I'm doubtful, but then I'm always doubtful.

Phot's Moll
10-01-2008, 09:42 PM
No and no - but I'm in the UK and I don't things are so bad over here.

Don
10-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Well, this crash came two years earlier than I was hoping for, so 20k words of a novel about the crash went in the trash, and I haven't come up with my next idea yet, so I'm spinning my wheels at the moment.

johnnysannie
10-01-2008, 10:41 PM

1. Yes. My husband's company - where he has been employed for 23 years - cut hours which cut wages so we're living on less in a time when everything costs much more.

2. Newspapers, including the two majors in my state (KC Star and St.Louis Post-Dispatch) are laying off employees. The paper I freelance for is in trouble; their stock is now worth 45 cents a share, so low it isn't even on the stock market any longer. So my freelance income is being affected even as we speak.

I am finding that markets are buying less, taking longer to make a decision, that the economic pressure trickles down to using more in-house staff writers than freelancers, and that my writing income is affected.

I am also - for the first time in more than twelve years of full-time freelancing - back in the workforce as a substitute school teacher. I'm working 2-3 days out of 5, making guaranteed money paid once a month. It takes time away from freelancing but it's steady money. With this economy and our family's diminished income, I can't wait months to be paid as I have in the past.

So, in answer to the questions, yes and yes.