PDA

View Full Version : Please help with genre

TheAntar
09-23-2008, 05:01 AM
One character is a priest in a wheelchair. Some things (biblical miracle things, not huge things but little "supernatural" things) happen TO him...and he eventually embraces these things to a degree.

The other is a linguist who has been hired by a 'crazy' archaelogist. The man lacks morals to a degree, but hopefully I can find a way to redeem him throughout.

There is a theme of some a 'alternate choices' in terms of spirituality based on a discover the linguist makes (spirituality meets physics). The story is about these two men, how their paths cross and ultimately how the discovery may be used/abused by different interested parties. There may be some very light speculative/sci fi elements developing as I write this story.

So what the heck genre is this?!

GLAZE_by_KyrstinMc
09-23-2008, 05:05 AM
Fiction?

:D

Puma
09-23-2008, 05:17 AM
I wrote something just a tad like this (some religious undertones) and finally decided that mainstream/contemporary was the best fit even though originally my time period was in the mid sixties. During an edit I made it more modern to fit better.

Even with the possibility of some light science fiction, I suspect that mainstream is a better choice (there's "science fiction" in our everyday lives (UFOs, Bigfoot, the Bermuda Triangle - even miraculous appearances like the Shroud of Turin sort of fall into the realm between science, fiction, and fact)).

Sounds like an interesting idea. Good luck with it. Puma

CheshireCat
09-23-2008, 05:27 AM
Call it a novel.

As in:

The Priest in the Wheelchair
A Novel

by Author Name

Let the agent worry about the genre. (Not my normal recommendation, by the way, but sometimes a novel is just ... a Novel.)

hammerklavier
09-23-2008, 06:12 AM
How liberating!