What would make a woman infertile?

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
As a minor subplot, I mean to have one of the female characters in my fantasy infertile, but I need some help with the cause.

Would an injury that could stop the menstrual cycle be survivable in a low-tech world? Or maybe a poison that she would recover from, aside from that part of her body? I need her to be physically healthy after healing from whatever caused the infertility, but would also prefer that it was caused by hostile action rather than natural illness or a nasty miscarriage.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Injuries don't normally stop the menstrual cycle, unless the ovaries are lost. That would be an awfully drastic injury. What you need is something that makes the woman incapable of conceiving, which is not the same thing.

Very nasty abuse could do it, by injuring the internal organs. That would definitely qualify as a hostile action.

Infections will often do it, by scarring and blocking the fallopian tubes, so that the ova can no longer descend to the uterus. That would not qualify as a hostile action, mind you, but it would also be less traumatic, therefore less interesting and less likely to turn the subplot into something more. But that is your call, of course.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Polycystic Ovaries. Caused without external factors, just happens. I speak from personal experience, PM me if you want to know more like the woman's possible reactions to it (but there's a ton of info on the internet). In a low-tech world it would probably be undetected.

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
Chemotherapy or radiation can result in infertility. Now, I know you did not want it related to an illness, but you could use this. Like she was just exposed to radiation from a town plant as a youth - before the town became aware of a radiation leak?

ETA: Link

http://www.med.nyu.edu/patientcare/library/article.html?ChunkIID=11867#causes

Click on that link, click on CAUSES link - scroll down. It lists several things (occupational - like exposure to chemicals in work place) and ingestion of medications (Acetaminophen, Ibuprofen,
Pain medications, Hormones, Antibiotics, Antidepressants).

There are a lot of things to pick from on that link.

Good luck and hope this helps!

Christine

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
What about starvation? If her weight drops low enough, her menstrual cycle will stop. Not exactly an injury, but could be a hostile action. Say if she was locked up and starved? Then, take her out, feed her up, give her system time to adjust and things should straigten out.

Susan Flemming

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susanflemming.com
Since this is fantasy and you want the resulting infertility to be from a hostile action, would it be possible to have someone your character trusts (but is later exposed as an enemy) to administer a potion designed to inhibit fertility? Perhaps mixed into a daily morning drink or concealed within a candy that is your character's favourite treat; something and someone your character would never suspect.

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
Back in the day (you mentioned low tech) infections, childhood diseases and birth defects (ovaries not fully formed) were all big causes.

Entropy Perk

solipsistically derealized
Registered
Reaction score
The most isolated capital city in the world
There aren't many things, none that I can think of actually, that could cause infertility in a woman/girl/caused by a hostile action, that would not also kill her. Unless she was poisoned with something in that world that is known to cause such a thing.

Any injury bad enough to destroy a womb/ovaries, would most likely kill her, due to the bleeding. This would include rape.

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
What if low tech was not in the past? Maybe there was high tech at one time? What if certain female babies were selected (for whatever reason) to have a chip implanted while in hospital after birth to stop procreation of certain levels of your races? I mean population control type deal. And she still has hers? Or hers was removed when the planet went low tech, but the damage was done to her reproduction and she still cannot conceive?

You could also have forced sterilization have been a part of her reality for whatever you need in your story. Way back, institutionalized people (not sure if it was mentally handicapped people or others as well, but I know mentally handicapped were) in the US were forcefully sterilized when they reached (I think 15/16) until it was banned. This would be hostile action, without injury you have to explain in depth to thwart your reader disbelief on a possible injury.

Just more thoughts....hope something here works. You have a lot of input.

Good luck!

Christine

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Chemotherapy can do it, too. Has she been ill in the past? I see tons of possibilities here, since you're inventing your own reality. Just keep it internally consistent, is all.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Try to google 'causes of infertility women' or similar. Tons of lists on what can do it...

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
What if low tech was not in the past? Maybe there was high tech at one time? What if certain female babies were selected (for whatever reason) to have a chip implanted while in hospital after birth to stop procreation of certain levels of your races? I mean population control type deal. And she still has hers? Or hers was removed when the planet went low tech, but the damage was done to her reproduction and she still cannot conceive?
Anything that alters hormone levels sufficiently/screws them up can also do the trick. (This one is mine.)

You could also have forced sterilization have been a part of her reality for whatever you need in your story. Way back, institutionalized people (not sure if it was mentally handicapped people or others as well, but I know mentally handicapped were) in the US were forcefully sterilized when they reached (I think 15/16) until it was banned. This would be hostile action, without injury you have to explain in depth to thwart your reader disbelief on a possible injury.
Forced sterilization also took place in Canada. The Inuit women from the Yukon and North West Territories were sterilized without their knowledge or consent whenever they had to go to the hospital in Edmonton, Alberta for other surgical procedures up until about 1970. It was a matter of governmental policy.

In other words, this is common enough for it to be completely believable.

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
I'd just thought of that when I read your post. The government of Vietnam sterilizes Montagnard women without their consent. They use a drug that is made by a company here in North Carolina, which is illegal to use in the US.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com
Infections will often do it, by scarring and blocking the fallopian tubes, so that the ova can no longer descend to the uterus. That would not qualify as a hostile action, mind you, but it would also be less traumatic, therefore less interesting and less likely to turn the subplot into something more. But that is your call, of course.

What kind of infections would do that? Does anyone have an example? Omigod I think I just got an idea...

/runs off to Google

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
A blow to the head could do it. If the hypothalamus was damaged, then the flow of luteinizing hormone could stop, and that controls ovulation.

That's my guess, anyway. I'm not a doctor, mind.

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
Smoking can make a woman infertile--it happened to a friend of mine--though generally it happens over time: she ends up infertile in her early to mid-30s. But smoking could certainly exist in a low-tech world, and perhaps the infertility could hit earlier if you need it to--the earlier she starts smoking, the earlier the infertility could hit. Here's a link giving a basic overview of the problem: http://www.advancedfertility.com/smoking.htm

Because the basic cause is poisoning from cigarette smoke, she could theoretically also become infertile from being around others who smoke. So that could start very early, in childhood, and then if she herself becomes a smoker, voila.

Kathie Freeman

That Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
catbook.biz
It wouldn't have to be starvation or anorexia per se, a lot of extremely athletic girls and young women have their body fat index drop low enough to become temporarily infertile.

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Very nasty abuse could do it, by injuring the internal organs. That would definitely qualify as a hostile action.

So, a brutal but survivable beating might can make a woman infertile? She's an assassin, and so in danger of such things. I could use this. Simple and nasty.

Because the basic cause is poisoning from cigarette smoke, she could theoretically also become infertile from being around others who smoke. So that could start very early, in childhood, and then if she herself becomes a smoker, voila.

So what if someone deliberately poisoned her, with the intent to kill? Couldn't I then have her survive the poisoning, but lose the use of her ovaries?

Entropy Perk

solipsistically derealized
Registered
Reaction score
The most isolated capital city in the world
So, a brutal but survivable beating might can make a woman infertile? She's an assassin, and so in danger of such things. I could use this. Simple and nasty.

No. Any type of injury bad enough to ruin her ovaries or womb, the internal bleeding from it would most likely kill her. If the bleeding didn't, then, the inevitable infection from the burst/torn/ripped/crushed organs, in her already weakened condition, most likely would finish her off.

Poison is a good option, as already mentioned.

Are there magic users/healers in your world? If so, she could be attacked/beaten and not brought to one of them in time to save her damaged organ, thus rendered infertile.