PDA

View Full Version : Structural analysis of myth or other fiction - recommend me some?

sunandshadow
09-23-2008, 01:43 AM
Having run out of Claude Levi-Strauss to read, I'm looking for similar books or smaller essays/articles that structurally analyze one or several myths or other types of fiction (especially novels). So if anyone knows of any, please recommend them. :)

Medievalist
09-23-2008, 06:26 AM
Look for Vladimir Propp, and don't blame me.

sunandshadow
09-23-2008, 06:55 AM
Lol, I knew I should have mentioned him along with Levi-Strauss as 'already read'. Did he write anything of note besides "morphology of the folktale" though?

Higgins
09-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Having run out of Claude Levi-Strauss to read, I'm looking for similar books or smaller essays/articles that structurally analyze one or several myths or other types of fiction (especially novels). So if anyone knows of any, please recommend them. :)

You've read all 4 volumes of Mythologies? The Raw and the Cooked, From Honey to Ashes? The Origin of Table Manners and the Naked Man?

And the two later ones: the Way of the Masks and the Story of Lynx?

That's a lot of Levi-Strauss. How about Edmund Leach, Victor Turner and Mary Douglass?

sunandshadow
09-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Yes I read all that Levi-Strauss - I enjoy reading him, as long as I don't try to read too much at a time. Thank you, I will check out Leach, Turner, and Douglass.

Higgins
09-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Yes I read all that Levi-Strauss - I enjoy reading him, as long as I don't try to read too much at a time. Thank you, I will check out Leach, Turner, and Douglass.

That's great! Here's some strangeness on the Leach front.

http://janus.lib.cam.ac.uk/db/node.xsp?id=EAD%2FGBR%2F0272%2FPP%2FERL;recurse=1