PDA

View Full Version : Today's network problems - split from the "email" thread

Mela
09-22-2008, 08:46 PM
I didn't get an email but when I tried clicking on Absolute Write this morning I was taken to a Web domain that was part English/part Japanese, telling me I had to renew my account and every time I tried getting onto AW, the same thing happened. I wrote down the 800 number, thinking I'd have to call during my lunch.
I'm glad to see everyone again -

dpaterso
09-22-2008, 08:56 PM
Many folks saw that domain message thing for a few hours today. (I didn't, every time I visited AW I got in just fine!) I think we're still trying to figure out what the heck happened.

Edit: it would help if I checked my mail. Looks like it was a specific network problem outwith AW's control, it's been identified and corrected.

-Derek

Bluestone
09-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Phew! That was scary. So glad Network Solutions hadn't kidnapped AW and held it for ransom!

Welcome back. :hooray:

dpaterso
09-22-2008, 10:12 PM
Actually I was a little premature... seems like some folks are still having problems when clicking on some links, as if the index has been screwed up somehow (totally wild guess). The Powers That Be are aware of the problem. Sorry for any inconvenience.

-Derek

Sage
09-22-2008, 10:34 PM
I've been having problems off and on all day, but haven't gotten an e-mail

Eirin
09-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Phew.

I had a horrible flashback to the Barbara Bauer/JC Hosting debacle.

JimmyB27
09-22-2008, 10:42 PM
I had nothing to do all day at work since AW was down. :(

donut
09-22-2008, 11:00 PM
yup, some people are still having trouble accessing the site. ~grace~ hasn't been able to get in all day.

dpaterso
09-22-2008, 11:16 PM
It's been suggested that clearing your browser's cookies, cache and history, and trying again, might help.

This is one occasion where I wish I was experiencing the same problem so I could try stuff out and see what happens, but alas every time I've visited AW everything's been A-OK (even when folks were PM'ing and emailing me to say they were having problems). Sorry!

-Derek

Medievalist
09-22-2008, 11:18 PM
It's a DNS Propagation issue, caused by a problem outside our control.

Fixed now; all better, but it may take your ISP a while to update.

Clear your Web browser cache.

benbradley
09-22-2008, 11:56 PM
I didn't get an email but when I tried clicking on Absolute Write this morning I was taken to a Web domain that was part English/part Japanese, telling me I had to renew my account and every time I tried getting onto AW, the same thing happened. I wrote down the 800 number, thinking I'd have to call during my lunch.
I'm glad to see everyone again -
No, don't ever call such a phone number. Google it, and see if it shows up in scam reports. This could just have been a net.glitch, but your showing up at some "renew your account" website instead of AW makes me suspect some nefarious attempts at net.abuse.

Ben, quantum mechanic and conspiracy theorist.

Calla Lily
09-23-2008, 12:36 AM
I got it ALL DAY at work. Home now, and connected right away. Any typos tonight are not my fault: I'm seriously twitching from AW withdrawal! Please, computer gods, fix AW so I can access it tomorrow!

Eirin
09-23-2008, 02:01 AM
This could just have been a net.glitch, but your showing up at some "renew your account" website instead of AW makes me suspect some nefarious attempts at net.abuse.

I, too, landed at some "renew/buy this domain" site. Didn't notice any Japanese connection though.

BenPanced
09-23-2008, 03:52 AM
I've been having problems all day, and they ain't got nothing to do with AW.

First, I've got this...hey! Where's everybody going?

Medievalist
09-23-2008, 06:32 AM
Thai, people; it was Thai.

Beach Bunny
09-23-2008, 06:35 AM
Thai, people; it was Thai.
Actually, it was little square boxes on my computer. :tongue

MacAllister
09-23-2008, 06:42 AM
I promise that Absolute Write hasn't been taken over by renegade Thai Vodka salesmen. :) I own the domain for the next five years, already - but there was a domain host change that I didn't expect to create DNS problems, but it did.

Sorry about that, folks. I didn't mean to scare everyone.

Eirin
09-23-2008, 07:36 AM
Hehe.

I greased like lightning over to that old "Absolute Write is gone" thread on Making Light to cry for help. I wasn't the only one :tongue

Shamisen
09-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Oh, so glad to see this is sorted. For 2 days I couldn't access, got the Thai/English 'Would you like to purchase this domain' message and was internally screaming, "But I've only just found this site, and now it's gone!!! How will I cope?!"

Bufty
09-23-2008, 04:23 PM
ETA -seems okay now -weird.

I had no problems accessing the site over the last few days, but (and it may just be a temporary glitch with my machine) I'm finding moving about within the Forums a tad slower today than normal.

Nymtoc
09-23-2008, 04:29 PM
The problems are continuing. I haven't been able to bring up more than a page or two for the past 24 hours, and I haven't been able post or send a PM. I hope this post gets through.

:rant:

dpaterso
09-23-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm *still* not seeing problems or delays anywhere. All I'm doing is clicking on my "Favorites" link (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/index.php) as usual, which gets me here every time.

I'm using IE7 under Windows Vista. I didn't clear my browser cache (didn't need to, wasn't experiencing problems).

Has everyone who's having problems cleared their cache and restarted their browser and tried accessing the Cooler via the forums link above?

-Derek

vixey
09-23-2008, 05:33 PM
I had trouble all day yesterday. Cleaned out everything I could think of. Browsed in IE and Firefox. I'd be able to read and post for maybe 3-5 minutes at a time then I couldn't get in for 2 hours. BUT - looks normal today.

Jack_Roberts
09-23-2008, 06:56 PM
At home it won't work, but I can access here at my job. Wish it was the other way around. I'll clear my cookies and try the link tonight.

JanDarby
09-23-2008, 07:04 PM
I was able to access last night with only occasional glitches, but this morning -- got the "domain expired" page again.

Has anyone checked into whether it's an AOL thing? I'm outside AOL now, and can get here, but couldn't get in with AOL, even after clearing the cache. Here's where I kept getting re-directed:
http://absolutewrite.com/?n=311909588&what=zone:6&exclude=,&referer=http%3A//www.absolutewrite.com/forums

ETA: Also, there was a "pop-under" ad, kolmic.com, that showed up when I tried hard-refreshing (control + refresh). Dunno if that matters, but thought I'd mention it.

JD

Saint Fool
09-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Still experiencing board interruptus this a.m. Got on early, posted, closed browser. Went back on and went to this domain is available board. Clear cache, history and logged off. Still got sent to domain board. Got back by googling and choosing a link from a "writing boards" site. Sigh. I'm going to rebookmark in hopes that might help.

dpaterso
09-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Has anyone checked into whether it's an AOL thing? I'm outside AOL now, and can get here, but couldn't get in with AOL, even after clearing the cache. Here's where I kept getting re-directed:
http://absolutewrite.com/?n=311909588&what=zone:6&exclude=,&referer=http%3A//www.absolutewrite.com/forums
That link takes me to absolutewrite.com our parent site, from where I could click on "Forums" to proceed here to the Water Cooler message board.

-Derek

Hummingbird
09-23-2008, 09:02 PM
All yesterday I was getting an English message telling me to renew the site.
I am so glad that I can access AW today!! There were a bunch of us on Facebook talking about this site going missing.

*Sniffle* I didn't realize how much I took this site for granted until it was gone... I hope everything gets completely fixed so that everyone can enjoy it again.

mscelina
09-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Couldn't get in at all yesterday; thanks to Soccer Mom and Cranky my slow brain finally remembered where I kept the cookies and so I got in today.

I cleared the cookies, deleted the history and cleared out the temporary files before i was able to actually get here. Then I had to take a Valium. Now I feel muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better.

darryl
09-23-2008, 09:29 PM
The issue isn't completely DNS propagation related. That is indeed happening, however a friend in France actually got what appears to be a completely different website also about being a writer- unless this site has a new main page in the works.

She sent me a screen capture which you can see via this link

http://www.yousendit.com/download/bVlEQ1ZuTWNVVGxMWEE9PQ

Recently, many ISPs have begun replacing the typical 404 not found page with one that they construct to help you 'find' what you are looking for. This happens when their servers can't find an entry for www.sitename.com . In the past, you would get 404 not found errors. Then microsoft would default redirect you to msn's search engine. Now the ISPs are following the same trick and popping up a webpage that helps you do a search. This looks sort of like that.

Whether or not you get this kind of webpage help would depend on how the actual URL / IP for Absolutewrite is propogating around the world. Basically, any new 'update' is sent around the internet, so it could be a case where the entry is being purged, then added back, then purged. That would lead to sometimes getting the right page, sometimes the made up search-for-it page.

Those are all my guesses as to what might be happening.

Darryl
[celine fans can be geeks at the same time without causing a temporal rift]

[edited: because I forgot that some ISPs are now doing this stupid search-for-it approach pages when they can't 'find' the URL you are looking for. Many customers are complaining about this because it messes up some business connections to private networks.]

Mela
09-23-2008, 09:34 PM
No, don't ever call such a phone number. Google it, and see if it shows up in scam reports. This could just have been a net.glitch, but your showing up at some "renew your account" website instead of AW makes me suspect some nefarious attempts at net.abuse.

Ben, quantum mechanic and conspiracy theorist.

You're right but part of me was thinking that AW had changed its network or otherwise experienced an internal change and that there was a problem with me, at not being able to log in.

Jack_Roberts
09-23-2008, 09:59 PM
It's so frustrating. I can post fine at lunch, but my MSN account can't get past the main page.

JanDarby
09-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Very weird. Still can't get in through AOL, but problem-free if I access directly.

The link I posted before got me to a site that purports to be owned by Networksolutions.com. It used to get me there immediately, but now I get to the main page of AW, and when I click on "forums," I stay on the main page, but if I click on it again, it'll take me to the Network Solutions page that says the domain expired.

JD

Little Red Barn
09-24-2008, 12:05 AM
I think it's Dawno's fault! : D

phooey, Lily still can't get in and I've sent her every link from both me and SilverKing...

...hmm, Oct is a fickeled month around here, just go back and check history, soon we'll have those harvest moons again...just sayn'

Calla Lily
09-24-2008, 12:34 AM
Anyone know of a master list of hidden cache ad cookie folders? I've gone in through three back doors at work, deleted everything I can find, and STILL can't get in.

Trouble is, my site is the global data repository and we are crammed with firewalls and other protections, so I'm extremely limited in the searching and deleting I can do from my tower there.

I have SUCH AW withdrawal from 7:30-4! :(

Eirin
09-24-2008, 12:37 AM
I think it's Dawno's fault! : D

Isn't it always Dawno's fault? I think they mentioned that on the AW 101 Introductory Course; Whom To Blame When [insert cataclysm of the week].

:tongue

Little Red Barn
09-24-2008, 12:46 AM
Anyone know of a master list of hidden cache ad cookie folders? I've gone in through three back doors at work, deleted everything I can find, and STILL can't get in.

Trouble is, my site is the global data repository and we are crammed with firewalls and other protections, so I'm extremely limited in the searching and deleting I can do from my tower there.

I have SUCH AW withdrawal from 7:30-4! :(
:hooray:how did you get in--enlighten us!?

Christine N.
09-24-2008, 01:06 AM
I still can't get in through AOL, but IE works fine. I hate to clear my cache, because then it also clears all my passwords and I cannot possibly remember ALL of them for EVERY site I visit.

Stupid thing.

Calla Lily
09-24-2008, 01:59 AM
I'm back home, kimmi. I never had a problem getting to AW from home. It's work, alas, that's being stubborn. :(

Shamisen
09-24-2008, 02:03 AM
Bloody conspiracy of employers, that's what it is is what it is.

vixey
09-24-2008, 02:14 AM
OK - I'm going to do a poor job of explaining what my techno-geek husband explained to me last night.

Every time we try to get into the AW website, our computer sends a numerical code out to AW's server asking for permission to get in. BUT - it has to leap through other servers (or storage thingies) along the way. In my case it was Cox.net. Yesterday, a change was implemented in the AW site that affected the special numerical code (DNS). In my case, my computer sent out the original code to the Cox server to get into AW. I got in. But an hour later, I couldn't. That was probably when the change took place. SO - Cox (and other service providers like AOL) got stuck with the original code. It seems they don't update their server caches in real time. So, every time I tried to pull up the AW site (at least a hundred times or more because of the addiction) my signal got stuck in the Cox server with the old code. ETA: Oh - and apparently I exacerbated the problem by constantly sending the request to Cox, which never gave Cox time to refresh and accept the new DNS number assigned to AW. (If anyone understands what I just said, you can rep me!)

Hubby told me to give it a rest. Practically had to tie my hands behind my back (as I said - an addiction). So this morning, Cox woke up all brand new and clean and I could type in the URL as always and get a brand new, spanky, happy log-in.

FWIW - he says AOL is a little slow on the uptake and keeps stuff in their server caches longer.

Disclaimer: this is not a formal, technical, or otherwise sane explanation. It is the gentle ramblings of a board fanatic.

Jack_Roberts
09-24-2008, 02:24 AM
Except here at work it's fine for me, but at home it wasnt. I'll check when I get there, though.

Lccorp2
09-24-2008, 03:42 AM
Eh. Ever since yesterday's network trouble, whenever I try to log onto the Absolutewrite forums, I get redirected back to the main AW.com page through some Java script. Disabling scripting's temporarily resolved the problem for me, but it's bugging me nevertheless, even after I cleared the cache.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I'm using IE7 with windows vista.
I'm being redirected to this link, or some variant thereof:http://www.absolutewrite.com/?v=368&prvtof=8b2VkUqfXDCVzkFKtxxlMEtcL4jddtGOVAq%2BGs4%2 BvzCXsyjo4NOPACCbezUcOSqe9S2kfLY6WYqqytYZY83CWUdnL wZMmmMV1FczWxb80jQa

Medievalist
09-24-2008, 04:30 AM
Folks.

It IS a domain propagation issue.

I know this because, at Mac's request I made the changes.

There were problems at the registrar with their DNS. They were fixed in less than two hours after I called them.

Forget clearing your cookies; clear your Web browser cache.

If you use an intermediate host, like AOL, you have to wait for them to clear their cached version on their servers.

Calla Lily
09-24-2008, 04:37 AM
*sigh* I'm not trying to be difficult, Medievalist, honest. I'm going to assume it's a work thing because of our many-layered configuration. I cleared my cache several times yeserday and today and it didn't work.

Somehow I think it's a broad hint from the gods that I should, y'know, work more at work. :rolleyes:

Lccorp2
09-24-2008, 08:17 AM
So, there's no idea of what might be happening, and it's probably on my side? My Bitdefender AV/Firewall says the Javascript applet's from some 201-227-13-69.cust.propagation.net. Scanned for viruses with both bitdefender and McAfee, nothing, both computers at my place are suffering from the same problem since the network trouble, regardless of whether firefox/IE is being used.

Have the admins received any complaints of the sort?

Nymtoc
09-24-2008, 09:23 AM
People who say "It's fixed!" aren't quite right. I haven't been able to log on--using AOL--for the past 48 hours. I had become convinced that AW was gone for good. Finally I decided to try IE, and here I am. So apparently browsers are a big part of the problem. I wish the AW gods would post something, so that we could all stop flailing around and understand what's been happening.

:hat:

Darzian
09-24-2008, 11:50 AM
I couldn't get access for 18 ish hours. I uninstalled and reinstalled IE8, Firefox and Google Chrome and was still getting a Network Solutions page with half English/ Half Chinese/Japanese/Thai (sorry can't distinguish).

It started working normally yesterday. I was seriously freaking out.

All well with me now.:hooray:

speirbhean
09-24-2008, 04:54 PM
I had no idea how much I depended on AW till this happened! Still good to see y'all back now :)

Christine N.
09-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Mine's all better now on AOL. But I see where the changes were made. Apparently the board now lives on Mac's site?

underthecity
09-24-2008, 05:07 PM
It's day 3 for me now. Day 1 I got the "Network Solutions (http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=bVlEQ1ZuTWNVVGxMWEE9PQ)" screen referenced above both at home and at work.

Day 2, same thing at home, but I got on at work, and saw all these posts from the day before! And I said, WTF? I thought AW was down!

I've tried clearing the cache, the history, the cookies, everything else recommended.

Day 3, same thing at home. It's working at work. But I have to work at work, so my time on AW is limited.

Sigh. All I can do at home then is revise.

ETA: Some people mentioned something about an "email." Am I not "in the club" enough to receive one?

allen

JanDarby
09-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Oh, yay. I have access, even through AOL.

JD

dpaterso
09-24-2008, 06:07 PM
To those still experiencing problems:

What's happening is that you're unfortunately waiting for your internet service provider to refresh its site lists so it stops accessing that network solutions page, and comes here instead. Some ISP's are apparently quicker than others at doing this.

The "email" referenced in the thread title is nothing to do with this problem.

-Derek

Saint Fool
09-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Also - learn from my stupidity, my best beloveds - when you clear the cache and history from your browser, shut it down and then bring it back up. Apparently, at least on firefox and netscape, the info isn't cleared until you shut it down.

I will not tell you how much time I wasted clearing and trying to get on AW yesterday.

Calla Lily
09-24-2008, 07:07 PM
w00t! :partyguy: :hooray:

I'm in! During the day!

Maybe the twitching will stop now...

roncouch
09-24-2008, 07:21 PM
The problem I experienced yesterday with what appeared to be someone trying to sell a domain site or whatever appears to be resolved. I panicked yesterday thinking AW had been cancelled!

c2ckim
09-24-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm so glad AW is back... I was in panic mode for two days!!

Chrisla
09-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Phew.

I had a horrible flashback to the Barbara Bauer/JC Hosting debacle.

I couldn't get on all day. I was taken to an Absolute Write home page with no access to forums. I thought maybe I'd been cut off and kept asking myself WHY? WHY would they do this to me? Then I googled Absolute Write and found the Making Light thread from 2006 and got quite an education. I meant to check today to see if Barbara Bauer is still around!

Willowmound
09-24-2008, 10:04 PM
I only got in now.

This isn't at all like your favourite pub being inexplicably shut. Then at least you see other people on the sidewalk, scratching their heads. When AW goes down, that's it. You're alone in the dark. It's more unsettling than I'd like to admit.

Maybe I should go outside more.

Medievalist
09-24-2008, 10:16 PM
I wish the AW gods would post something, so that we could all stop flailing around and understand what's been happening.

We have; see the earlier posts. They likely have gotten buried.

It's a DNS Propagation issue, caused by a problem outside our control.

Fixed now; all better, but it may take your ISP a while to update.

Clear your Web browser cache.

And this one from Mac.

I promise that Absolute Write hasn't been taken over by renegade Thai Vodka salesmen. :) I own the domain for the next five years, already - but there was a domain host change that I didn't expect to create DNS problems, but it did.

Sorry about that, folks. I didn't mean to scare everyone.

Folks.

It IS a domain propagation issue.

I know this because, at Mac's request I made the changes.

There were problems at the registrar with their DNS. They were fixed in less than two hours after I called them.

Forget clearing your cookies; clear your Web browser cache.

If you use an intermediate host, like AOL, you have to wait for them to clear their cached version on their servers.

There are two things that take a while.

One: If the "host" changes the DNS, an entry for a particular site in the address list for all the servers on the Internet, it takes some ISPs a while to update THEIR list.

Two: If you use a host that, like AOL. "caches" versions of Web sites on their OWN servers, they have to clear their caches, so you can see a current version.

The last one, is the most likely problem:

Clear your browser cache.

Quit your browser.

Go to

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/

BenPanced
09-24-2008, 10:40 PM
But where I can I go to check the status on the Thai vodka I ordered?

vixey
09-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Ben - check it out here

http://www.thaivodka.net/

Medievalist
09-25-2008, 03:58 AM
But where I can I go to check the status on the Thai vodka I ordered?

Why?

You planning to Thai one on?

Chrisla
09-25-2008, 04:26 AM
Why?

You planning to Thai one on?

***groan*** but clever

Billytwice
09-26-2008, 02:30 AM
I had this problem yesterday...something networky was the cause...rebooted my router and everything started working ok.