PDA

View Full Version : Check received with contract?

Mel
09-22-2008, 08:31 PM
Truth or Fiction? (http://bloggrrl.com/2008/09/05/my-novel-is-going-to-be-published/)

Can't swallow this as truth. And she spent an "entire week on research." Wow. Also, doesn't see anything deceitful in what she did. Umm, okay.

Oh, and does anyone get their mail at 9:30 at night? I suppose if they have a P.O. box and the husband worked, picked it up earlier and didn't get home until then. Maybe. Then again, would a publisher send that kind of stuff to a P.O. box?

Everything seems too far off the wall to me.

Bubastes
09-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Eh, I suppose anything's possible. I get my mail late at night because I always forget to stop by the mailbox after work. Getting the check with the contract sounds strange. Why would a publisher give out money before the deal's sealed?

I personally wouldn't have used her tactics. I thought she was unprofessional and showed a lack of respect of everyone's time. But then, it seemed to have worked for her, so what the heck do I know?

Deccydiva
09-22-2008, 09:02 PM
It sounds like complete fiction to me, but stranger things have happened. :Shrug: I wonder when (if) we're ever going to learn who the publisher is...
Guts? Maybe. Arrogance. Yes. It's put me off her work, if the story's true.

ChaosTitan
09-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Sounds fishy to me.

One of the first things my agent and I talked about once we accepted the book deal was money (because I had no idea how this stuff worked at the time). Publishers pay once the contract is signed and returned, and payment can take from three weeks to three months to process the check. I can't imagine a reputable publisher cold mailing a check and contract to an unknown writer with whom they were tricked (read: deceived) into meeting for lunch.

Sheryl Nantus
09-22-2008, 09:23 PM
it looks rather rancid to this old broad's eyes...

I'm curious as to WHO the publisher is. Can't find that info anywhere...

could we be looking at another PA victim?

caromora
09-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Fiction. No publisher is going to mail out a check before the contracts are even signed. Most of the time, advances are parceled out in two or three chunks, depending on how the contract is negotiated (on signing, on delivery of manuscript, and at publication is common). No publisher is just going to mail out a contract without speaking to the author or agent--at least not in my experience as a former editor.

Also? Her story of conning editors into having lunch with her is just damned creepy, whether it's true or not. I hate to think of some gullible person reading that and thinking it is in any way acceptable.

Bubastes
09-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Judging from the glowing congratulatory comments on her blog, I'm afraid that others think she's admirable. No wonder agents and publishers are wary of unknown writers. I'd be creeped out myself.

ChaosTitan
09-22-2008, 09:34 PM
I hate to think of some gullible person reading that and thinking it is in any way acceptable.

A lot of her blog readers seem to think it is, and have applauded for her deception. *sigh*

And after reading a couple of other posts related to this one, she never states flatly that the check she received was from the same editor in which she shared that dubious lunch date. See this post (http://bloggrrl.com/2008/09/10/my-novel-luncheon/). Everything she writes is so vague (my friend, the publishing house), never naming names, that I just can't bring myself to believe it's true.

Bubastes
09-22-2008, 09:39 PM
OMG, she is NOT planning to agree to write a second book and have her blog readers help her write it. She is not. I didn't read it.

BUT (isnít there always a ďbut?Ē) the way the contract reads, if I sell a certain number of books, they have the option on the next one. The only two problems are: I donít have a next one and I donít PLAN on writing another book. So I wonít. WE WILL. I have created a scenario for a new mystery. And I need AUTHORS! And this IS being done with the blessing of MY editor Ė my new friend. So come back tomorrow and Iíll explain how itís going to work. So many of you have not only been supportive, but you are EXCELLENT WRITERS. And I need help. And Iím calling on my friends to help me Ė so that WE can get published as a group - when my book sells!

OMG, she is. :facepalm:

Yeah, I'm sure an editor for a legitimate house would be A-OK with this. [/sarcasm] This is starting to smell more and more fishy.

Phaeal
09-22-2008, 09:44 PM
A check sent before the contract was signed or even discussed with agent and author? I doubt it.

Hmm, and openly calling for ghostwriters? My guess is that this, um, highly imaginative individual is hoping to rope some gullible person into writing her "second" book for her.

Oh, and editors don't bother to keep calendars of their appointments? Big house editors who won't look at an unagented MS are so easily tricked into having lunch with an unknown person? Gosh, I'd really hesitate to so insult the intelligence of this powerful group of professionals. Maybe that's just silly little me.

My scam detector's going off. Excuse me while I go shut it down, so annoying.

caromora
09-22-2008, 09:46 PM
I've been reading through the comments. She also says, "I handed off some papers to a stranger, and the next time I see them, they are going to look a bit different (I imagine galleys?)."

That supposedly happened the day after she received her contract and check. Sorry, but that's just not the way publishing works. The editing process can take months. You don't just "hand something over" and get galleys back.

I call shenanigans. No way will I believe a thing she's saying, unless she publicly states the name of her editor, or at the very least the publisher.

ChaosTitan
09-22-2008, 09:56 PM
could we be looking at another PA victim?

Doubtful. Even PA won't pay that dollar until contracts are signed.

TerraDawn
09-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Gees Batman!! This publishing thing sounds so easy!!! Maybe we should write a book!!! Joker? Catwoman? Would you like to help?

Sheryl Nantus
09-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Also? Her story of conning editors into having lunch with her is just damned creepy, whether it's true or not. I hate to think of some gullible person reading that and thinking it is in any way acceptable.

and she claims that this isn't the first time she's done something along those lines.

at the least, it's deplorable behaviour. At the most, mentally ill.

I'm thinking scam.

anyone want to invite her here to defend herself?

:D

Bubastes
09-22-2008, 10:15 PM
anyone want to invite her here to defend herself?

Nah, leave her be. When the student is ready, the teacher will appear and all that.

Sheryl Nantus
09-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Nah, leave her be. When the student is ready, the teacher will appear and all that.

*pouts*

I'm actually more concerned about the replies she's getting that's applauding this silliness. And links to other blogs and so forth.

If people really think that it's THAT easy to get published, well...

:(

five bucks says that it never appears on the shelves due to an "unforseen set of circumstances" that prevent it from being published.

Bubastes
09-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Hey, if they think publishing is easy, it will make them more likely to give up early when reality hits. That means more room in the slush pile for me. :D

Mel
09-22-2008, 10:26 PM
The joint effort to write the next novel seems to be off and running. Skimmed a couple and can't say I'm impressed, although that may just be me.

caromora
09-22-2008, 10:29 PM
I just worry that the whole thing is a big con. She's having all these other people write a novel...what's to stop her from stealing their work? After all, she's already admitted to conning editors; conning writers isn't so huge a stretch.

I hate to see anyone get ripped off, and I fear that's what is happening. I'd love to be proved wrong about this.

aka eraser
09-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Smells like the stuff I wrap in newspaper after a day at the lake.

Didn't read the comments but if nobody is calling her on it - there really is a sucker born every minute. And apparently they read blogs.

CACTUSWENDY
09-22-2008, 10:50 PM
FWIW.....
I think this is a joke. I think she is a joke.

If the ones that left comments are stupid enough to believe this then I feel real sorry for them. They are as bad as she is if they think congratz are in order for this kind of junk.

(This is only my two cents.)

Mel
09-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Not one did call her on it. If anyone did she could have deleted their comments.

Jersey Chick
09-22-2008, 10:57 PM
If this is true, then I'll eat my laptop.

No real publisher is going to mail out a check for an advance along with a contract to be signed. Could you imagine the mess if an author cashed said check and just never bothered with the contract? That alone makes it totally unbelievable.

Either this woman's delusional, or toying with people. Either way, I don't believe her story for a second. She's full of something, but I don't think it's success...

willietheshakes
09-22-2008, 10:59 PM
I call bullshit.

Williebee
09-22-2008, 11:05 PM
"Scriptor Caveo"

CaroGirl
09-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Mommy, that lady with the laptop and fake lunch date scares me!

katiemac
09-22-2008, 11:29 PM
Nothing about this makes sense--that a publisher would send a check without a signed contract (what happened to negotiations? what if the author has signed with another publisher?). She also says in the beginning of her blog she got the news "this morning" she was to be published, but then claims she got the mail after 9:30 the previous evening (no phone call?). If she is published, well, good for her, but I don't believe it happened the way she claims.

TrickyFiction
09-22-2008, 11:46 PM
"If you want to be a writer, I rescind the invitation. If you want to be a potential author, I’d be delighted to have you."

What is that even supposed to mean? I don't like it.

Mr Flibble
09-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Soooo tempted to post comment on the blog...must resist...must resist.....

I don't know how long I can hold out.

ChaosTitan
09-23-2008, 12:58 AM
I just worry that the whole thing is a big con. She's having all these other people write a novel...what's to stop her from stealing their work? After all, she's already admitted to conning editors; conning writers isn't so huge a stretch.

I hate to see anyone get ripped off, and I fear that's what is happening. I'd love to be proved wrong about this.

She's already declared that no one will be paid for their efforts. All advance money and royalties earned (if the supposed publisher even accepts this group effort as the second book in the supposed contract) are earmarked for charity.

:Shrug:

Bubastes
09-23-2008, 01:02 AM
I find it strange that she hasn't mentioned who the publisher is. Here on AW, it's usually in the subject line of the "woo hoo" thread!

katiemac
09-23-2008, 01:05 AM
She's already declared that no one will be paid for their efforts. All advance money and royalties earned (if the supposed publisher even accepts this group effort as the second book in the supposed contract) are earmarked for charity.

:Shrug:

It was also my impression that she's using this story of her as a "published" author to ask for help from others. Then, she'll get the big payoff once after it gets published.

mlhernandez
09-23-2008, 02:52 AM
I call bullshit.

Yes. This. And, seriously, that bit about tricking editors into lunches--even if untrue--is super creepy.

CheshireCat
09-23-2008, 04:02 AM
I also call bullshit.

There are so many absurdities in her "announcement" it's pathetic.

Beginning with the ridiculous "check with contract" and continuing on through her explanation of the scam she claims to have used to have lunch with editors.

I don't think so.

What's really sad, though, is how many people seem prepared to swallow her fish story hook, line, and sinker.

Madison
09-23-2008, 04:31 AM
Following this with interest and agreeing that it's complete bullshit...

I don't think anyone should hold back from commenting if they want to. In her Sept. 9th post, our friend Rita says: "Please, folks, if you don’t care for my methods, tell me. I have always believed that the “comments” section was a great place for dialogue that agrees OR disagrees with what a blogger has said. I have never strayed from controversy at Rita’s Digest, and I will not stray now."

BenPanced
09-23-2008, 04:39 AM
The only book title I could find in any of her posts was for her planned experiment for the second. Something like this, I'd post in the largest font point possible in every available forum I'm on so everybody would know my name and my book's title. It's too broadly vague and vaguely broad for me to believe it.

eqb
09-23-2008, 04:41 AM
I find it strange that she hasn't mentioned who the publisher is.

Just one signal among many that her story is pure bullshit.

Bubastes
09-23-2008, 04:52 AM
Two things are fascinating to me: (1) why would someone spin such a tall tale and (2) why would so many people believe it? Wishful thinking? I see a character taking shape.

caromora
09-23-2008, 05:31 AM
Two things are fascinating to me: (1) why would someone spin such a tall tale and (2) why would so many people believe it? Wishful thinking? I see a character taking shape.

I'm guessing for the same reason people fake their own deaths on the internet: attention. Whoever said that she'll probably post in a few weeks/months that something went wrong with the deal is spot on, in my opinion. If she posts some big story about how the publisher wronged her, she gets even more sympathy and attention.

As to why people believe it...possibly the same reason they try publishing through places like PA. Publishing is a hard, slow business with no guarantees. A LOT of people want to believe there's a way to get around the "rules," so when someone does it, they latch on to the story of how.

Chumplet
09-23-2008, 08:10 AM
Oh, those people are out there, all right. My writers group had a lovely member who had so many highs and lows - husband died in car wreck, close friend who happened to be a celebrity and they wrote a screenplay together, etc.

We wept and cheered with her. She totally sucked us in.

That is, until one of us called her out on it. You shoulda seen the train wreck. She called us every name in the book and spat us out, then disappeared into the netherworld. We still see evidence of her deception here and there, but don't bother with her any more. We did warn one author whose work was stolen by her in order to get into our writers' group.

Pathological liars are out there, and they are very skilled at their craft.

Deepspirit
09-23-2008, 10:04 AM
I don't know why but the blog reminds me of the Nigerian e-mail scam. If people can fall for that, no wonder so many aspiring authors are going for this.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Maybe all this really happened.

Bartholomew
09-23-2008, 10:09 AM
If this is true, then I'll eat my laptop.

No real publisher is going to mail out a check for an advance along with a contract to be signed. Could you imagine the mess if an author cashed said check and just never bothered with the contract? That alone makes it totally unbelievable.

Either this woman's delusional, or toying with people. Either way, I don't believe her story for a second. She's full of something, but I don't think it's success...

I really want to see you eat your laptop.

Darzian
09-23-2008, 01:52 PM
Umm.......what am I supposed to say?

The whole thing is so fake, but I don't care about such delusional people. Even if it were true (*gasp*) I can't applaud someone for deceiving other people.

I am more worried about the comments. I see only two possibilities:

1) She is posting the comments herself under different names and then responding to them (It makes no sense at all, but neither does her original post). And she must be deleting opposing posts. I refuse to believe that NOBODY posted that her blog post is insane.

2) We have some very weird people with a severe lack of morals alive today.

I really want to see you eat your laptop.
UNQUOTE

Hmmm. Can I write a SF story on that? Consuming the lappy and becoming the first Intel Sapien. I claim copyright!

ChaosTitan
09-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Two things are fascinating to me: (1) why would someone spin such a tall tale

I don't know why but the blog reminds me of the Nigerian e-mail scam. If people can fall for that, no wonder so many aspiring authors are going for this.

My answer: her collaborative writing project.

Now I'm no expert in publishing contracts, but the part about the editor getting first dibs on her second book "if it sold a certain number of copies" seemed strange to me. Maybe from a micro-pub, but from one of the supposed "big three?" That smells.

And then Rita segues into the fact that she's not going to write a second book, because she only has one in her (*cough*). But if all of her friends out there would be so kind to join her in a collaborative writing effort, in which all moneys go straight to charity, then she'll be able to fulfill this obligation to her new publisher.

Which means if this is a scam, all of those duped people are writing under false pretenses. Methinks they'll be some fur flying when the truth comes out.

Jersey Chick
09-23-2008, 04:14 PM
I thought the same thing about the second novel - and at the same time, a publisher isn't going to publish garbage churned out by a group of people simply because there's a second book in this supposed deal. The publisher would still have to accept it first - so there's no guarantee that her idea would even work.

I'm thinking all the commenting heerleaders are sockpuppets as well - considering that this woman doesn't seem to live on the same planet as most of us, it wouldn't surprise me at all if she's her own audience.

So, I'm thinking no one will get to see me eat my laptop... bummer, eh? :(

Christine N.
09-23-2008, 05:59 PM
I second the bullshit.

No publisher just mails a contract - they make an offer first! Usually by letter, or more commonly by telephone. Most major publishers know they might not be the only ones looking at a given manuscript. They wheel and deal with the author - or usually the agent - and hammer out the details before a contract is signed.

THEN most of them send the advance now in three stages - one after the contract signing, one after the final edited version is done, and one at release.

You'd think she'd reveal the name of the publisher. I would. If nothing else, it would show up on publisher's lunch.

DeadlyAccurate
09-23-2008, 07:55 PM
I made a comment on her post, so we'll see if she'll allow any more comments that challenge her facts.

DeadlyAccurate
09-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Follow-up post (thanks, AF, for the link): http://bloggrrl.com/2008/09/10/my-novel-luncheon/

Darzian
09-23-2008, 08:22 PM
There are 3 highly negative reviews on her blog now. She even responded to them!

http://bloggrrl.com/2008/09/05/my-novel-is-going-to-be-published/

I just saw this:
http://bloggrrl.com/

I don't know what to say. If it's true, then I'm really sympathetic. But I can't think of why it isn't true.

Also, if her original post is a lie, is there anything she can get out of it? I see nothing.

mlhernandez
09-23-2008, 08:32 PM
"As I said in my interview with Blogger Dad, some things were exaggerated due to excitement."

That's the opening sentence to her reply to the questioning comments. So she's admitting it's all bs--in a roundabout way if you continue reading her reply.

icerose
09-23-2008, 08:34 PM
There are 3 highly negative reviews on her blog now. She even responded to them!

Yeah with "I'm not ready to reveal those details" response. I add my hat to the BS!

Sheryl Nantus
09-23-2008, 08:34 PM
"As I said in my interview with Blogger Dad, some things were exaggerated due to excitement."

That's the opening sentence to her reply to the questioning comments. So she's admitting it's all bs--in a roundabout way if you continue reading her reply.

like, say... all of it?

and I wasn't surprised to see the mandatory "well, you're not published!" retort in her comments.

can't wait to see this house of cards fall...

angelgirl
09-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Anyone else read the "Disclosure (http://bloggrrl.com/disclosure/)" on her blog - makes everything seem even more suspect.

Bubastes
09-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Um, yeah, she doesn't want attention? Look, I don't want attention either, which is WHY I DON'T BLOG!

Darzian
09-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Um, yeah, she doesn't want attention? Look, I don't want attention either, which is WHY I DON'T BLOG!

:roll:

Celia Cyanide
09-23-2008, 08:53 PM
This is BIZARRE!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Christine N.
09-23-2008, 08:56 PM
And no book is picked up by a 'big publisher' until it is approved by the committee. I have many friends who make it through the editor and acquitisions department, only to be turned down at the editorial meeting - usually by the beancounters. Heck, even Samhain, which is no big publisher, I had to get past the editor AND her boss.

And I did NOT receive my advance check WITH my contract. Not until that puppy was signed, sealed and delievered. Actually I got it after my final edits were turned in, which was in my contract.

There is NO WAY this story is true. At least not with a big publisher. And she had 'studied them on the internet, asked about their families'? STALKER. She's lucky she didn't get arrested, if it's true at all.

Fenika
09-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Ah, I found a line of truth mixed in with the insanity!

At which point he “flagged” my chart as a “narcotics abuser” and told me to come back in two weeks.

:ROFL:

Mel
09-23-2008, 10:07 PM
I just saw this:
http://bloggrrl.com/

I don't know what to say. If it's true, then I'm really sympathetic. But I can't think of why it isn't true.

Also, if her original post is a lie, is there anything she can get out of it? I see nothing.

Therein lies the problem. Too many lies told and if one statement ends up being the truth why should it be believed?

One should probably not try to figure out why a pathological liar does what they do. That was my experience in a past marriage, otherwise I knew I'd make myself crazy trying to make sense of anything he said or did.

Church Lady
09-23-2008, 11:07 PM
O.M.G.

Don't these things usually being with THE CALL? The phone call we all dream about?

I thought this was funny at first, but if she's going to continue to scam people, it's not funny.

Mel
09-24-2008, 12:21 AM
That page is still there but she has an "Error 404 - Not Found" sitting there. Not seeing the post or any comments. Anyone else getting this?

Her My "Novel" Luncheon (http://bloggrrl.com/2008/09/10/my-novel-luncheon/) is still up, but that one had no negatives comments.

Memnon624
09-24-2008, 12:26 AM
That page is still there but she has an "Error 404 - Not Found" sitting there. Not seeing the post or any comments. Anyone else getting this?

That's what I got, too. Now, of course, all her naysayers will be accused of "hating on her success" :rolls eyes:

Best,

Scott

benbradley
09-24-2008, 01:38 AM
How interesting. The page is no longer up.

Read her next blog post - she is quite the compulsive liar, it seems.
For all who missed the blog entry in the OP and really want to read it. (http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:x-kUBc_wR90J:bloggrrl.com/2008/09/05/my-novel-is-going-to-be-published/+http://bloggrrl.com/2008/09/05/my-novel-is-going-to-be-published/&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a)

caromora
09-24-2008, 01:56 AM
Was she moderating comments before? I tried to reply to the luncheon entry and got a "your comment is awaiting approval" (or whatever) message.

TrickyFiction
09-24-2008, 02:07 AM
"I weighed around 104 lbs. at the time – my normal weight since High School....
I had already given birth twice, so I knew what pain was." :Wha:

My head is spinning at anyone weighing 104 lbs after two pregnancies more than anything else.
I mean, there's just no way, man. There's just NO way.

Mel
09-24-2008, 02:20 AM
I teetered between 103 and 106. After my first 2 kids I went back down to normal, without any exercise. It was the third one that did me in. :) So, I wouldn't question that of anyone. I do, however, question her ability to be honest about anything.

Mr Flibble
09-24-2008, 02:23 AM
"I weighed around 104 lbs. at the time Ė my normal weight since High School....

My head is spinning at anyone weighing 104 lbs after two pregnancies more than anything else.

<------ way. Sorry.

TrickyFiction
09-24-2008, 02:59 AM
<------ way. Sorry.

Well, you give me hope for my potential, future, post-pregnancy body. :D

CheshireCat
09-24-2008, 03:49 AM
The original page is currently back up. Along with at least a few negative posts.

We'll see if it stays.

DeadlyAccurate
09-24-2008, 04:09 AM
Mine never did get posted. Not sure why, since she has been allowing critical posts through and mine wasn't quite as critical as some of the others. I think "Stephen" may be her, though. The punctuation mistakes are similar as those in her sample writings.

Even if it's not, I have "sour grapes" covered on my bingo card now.

caromora
09-24-2008, 04:19 AM
"I weighed around 104 lbs. at the time Ė my normal weight since High School....

My sister has two boys, ages ten and eight. She weighs right around 105. Yeah, I kind of hate her a little.
/off topicness

Toothpaste
09-24-2008, 04:19 AM
Strangest excuse is the baby analogy, the bad luck to announce a deal excuse. Like someone else commented, that would mean any and every Publisher's Weekly announcement subjects their author to bad luck. Those bastards!

Honestly, it is all just absurd.

Stacia Kane
09-24-2008, 04:20 AM
Oooh! Now the sock puppets are showing up to say "My parents are publishers and if this girl is who I bet she is you're all in a lot of trouble. You should be careful whose lies you point out because she'll get you!"

Sheesh. Yes. Even if we take her at absolute face value, the idea that a first-time author who is planning on having a bunch of strangers write her second book for her is somehow now such a major force in publishing that we should all be very afraid of making her angry...that's pretty silly. Hey, I have a three-book-deal and I seriously doubt there's a person alive who thinks "I better not piss HER off; she could have me blackballed!"

And if they did I'd tell them they're being stupid.

Stacia Kane
09-24-2008, 04:22 AM
Dammit I really should go to bed but this is too fun to watch.

DeadlyAccurate
09-24-2008, 04:27 AM
My comments seem to keep getting deleted. This time I pointed out some of the flaws in the story that Janet saw. I used my normal username, which means I wasn't posting anonymously (since it's pretty much my online identity and is tied to my real name with just a Google search.)

Stacia Kane
09-24-2008, 04:28 AM
That's probably why she deleted it; if your identity can be verified, people can see you know what you're talking about.

Jersey Chick
09-24-2008, 04:32 AM
I just refreshed that page and it seems all the comments after 9/17 are gone... or maybe my computer's just acting wonky.

Or maybe, she's busily typing up the rah-rahs from her sockpuppets supporters???

DeadlyAccurate
09-24-2008, 04:33 AM
Is it my imagination, or has she gone through and deleted all the negative comments?

Fenika
09-24-2008, 04:39 AM
Same. Luckily I justtttttt read them before they disappeared. When I refreshed to see if there was more fun- all gone.

I do feel bad, adding to her post count. She's prolly on an ego trip right now. Or has traced back all the activity to here. Oh noes- hide before she blacklists us all!

Toothpaste
Which entry are you guys looking at?

MissLadyRae
Aww man and I was gonna go in and see the new comments. :-( I miss all the fun.

Hope some kind soul can bring up the archives again!

DeadlyAccurate
09-24-2008, 04:42 AM
Which entry are you guys looking at?

This one.

Looks like she deleted about 15 comments.

caromora
09-24-2008, 04:53 AM
She deleted comments from her latest entry (the mail order bride one), too. I noticed the post count was down when I just clicked over. I think she may have also edited the entry about the collaborative novel, because I was going to use a few of her claims to make a point...but those claims are gone now.

Jersey Chick
09-24-2008, 04:57 AM
Yep - cuz deleting those posts makes it all the more believable.

I totally buy it now. ;)

MissLadyRae
09-24-2008, 05:05 AM
Unfortunately i can't find any cached pages any newer than the last link that Ben provided.

Though my google-fu is a little down today...

Ahh bummer. Thanks for trying though!:Sun:

benbradley
09-24-2008, 05:23 AM
I think Google generally has only has one 'cache' for any one site, so the link I gave may be all you get unless/until Google indexes that page again.

I also checked http://archive.org which usually has several versions of a site, each one time-and-datestamped, but there was nothing for this page.

You can always save a copy of a webpage to your local drive at any time (before hitting the refresh button would be ideal), and for the things we're interested in here, "HTML only" or "text only" is good enough. I'm not sure what to tell people they can do with those files, though...

ETA: Looking at the "blogroll" and the site in general gives me a bit of an icky feeling (much like the blog post being discussed, and especially the comments). I looked here at "disclosure:"
http://bloggrrl.com/disclosure/
and I was believing everything until I got to the word honest.

Mel
09-24-2008, 05:41 AM
I still have the page up with 78 comments, Rita's being the last one. Copied and pasted the page into WordPad.

Darzian
09-24-2008, 06:17 AM
Omg, she deleted all the bad comments, and mine (which asked: Do you have any morals? Do you not feel selfish, embarressed and pathetically guilty for deceiving a publisher and then posting victoriously about it?) never even got posted.

This comment was particularly amusing:

Crap, I fell behind.
UmÖIím sorry I didnít tell you Iím an editor?
Hey, why do you say I would NOT have looked at your book?
And right: your manuscript got you the contract, not your method. Your method got you noticed, yes, but if your book had sucked, you wouldnít have got far!

Yes, a professional editor is going to sound like a teenager, isn't he? And if a professional editor is following Rita's blog, then Heaven help him.

This is so much fun! I'm going to post about 20 comments now, just to give her the pain of checking them and deleting.

I am especially annoyed because of her post about her 'illness' which I no longer believe, considering that she has already posted so many lies.

Stacia Kane
09-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Darn. I was really looking forward to seeing her explain the dfference between a writer and an author. That just stinks.

I guess she realized people were going to see all those comments explaining the truth and know she was lying, no matter how many sp's she created to say "I know more about publishing than anyone in the world and this girl is 100% correct! Let me use a minor example from half a century ago that is nothing like this one to demonstrate!"

J.Reid
09-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Bullshit 1: Rented Lincoln Town Car? We call that a car service. It's not all that fancy here. It's the kind of car you take if you live in the Bronx and there's a long walk from the train to your house, or you take going to the airport. It's not something you'd take to lunch. Even the fanciest editors take a cab or the train.

Bullshit #2: Ten days to a contract? Laughable. Second, NO publishing company gives you money without a Taxpayer ID number, be it SSN or EIN. NONE. Even if they would send a contract and a check (which they wouldn't) there'd have been an IRS form to fill out first.

Bullshit #3: Option clauses don't depend on sales. They can't. Sales figures (sales, not shipping!) aren't available until MONTHS after the book is published. Option clauses are generally for 30-60 days after publication of book one.

We have a phrase for this kind of thing: writer porn.

Stacia Kane
09-24-2008, 01:41 PM
Bullshit 1: Rented Lincoln Town Car? We call that a car service. It's not all that fancy here. It's the kind of car you take if you live in the Bronx and there's a long walk from the train to your house, or you take going to the airport. It's not something you'd take to lunch. Even the fanciest editors take a cab or the train.

Bullshit #2: Ten days to a contract? Laughable. Second, NO publishing company gives you money without a Taxpayer ID number, be it SSN or EIN. NONE. Even if they would send a contract and a check (which they wouldn't) there'd have been an IRS form to fill out first.

Bullshit #3: Option clauses don't depend on sales. They can't. Sales figures (sales, not shipping!) aren't available until MONTHS after the book is published. Option clauses are generally for 30-60 days after publication of book one.

We have a phrase for this kind of thing: writer porn.

*sigh* And that is why we love you so.

Bubastes
09-24-2008, 02:26 PM
This is so much fun! I'm going to post about 20 comments now, just to give her the pain of checking them and deleting.

I hate to be a party pooper, but please don't. Highlighting her lies here is one thing, but harassing her on her own blog is kinda rude.

Darzian
09-24-2008, 03:57 PM
I hate to be a party pooper, but please don't. Highlighting her lies here is one thing, but harassing her on her own blog is kinda rude.

The link stopped working temporarily, and then I just lost interest anyway. It's frustrating that people are spreading such false rumors and myths about publishing. A non-writer who read that would likely believe most of it.

drachin8
09-24-2008, 04:29 PM
The link stopped working temporarily, and then I just lost interest anyway. It's frustrating that people are spreading such false rumors and myths about publishing. A non-writer who read that would likely believe most of it.

*hugs*

It IS frustrating to watch, but I agree with MeowGirl that harassment is a step too far. "Rita" has some issues, and that is for her to deal with. Who knows what reasons she has for choosing this path. Those who read her blog care very much about her, though, and attacking her isn't going to help any of them see the holes in her narrative. Work for the truth for the sake of showing the truth, not for the sake of showing the liar.

-Michelle

Sheryl Nantus
09-24-2008, 04:47 PM
I only hope she gets some serious help, and soon.

I've seen what these sort of internet liars can do and have done to them - and it's devestating to many people who honestly get caught up in the lies. It's just awful to watch.

I'm hoping she goes quietly into the sunset with the publisher suddenly reneging on the contract due to the economy or some such lie and she wanders away from the web. Unlikely, but at least then the damage to others will be minimalized.

Christine N.
09-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Problem is, other people will take her at her word and perhaps try the same thing, then wonder why it doesn't work.

Because it doesn't. Because it's called stalking.

Sheryl Nantus
09-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Problem is, other people will take her at her word and perhaps try the same thing, then wonder why it doesn't work.

Because it doesn't. Because it's called stalking.

well, I figure the first restraining order will take care of that.

BenPanced
09-24-2008, 05:20 PM
I figure let her crash and burn under her own power. Her supporters (if there are any) will uncover the deceit and bullshit soon enough by asking too many questions and not getting answers.

CaroGirl
09-24-2008, 05:20 PM
If people are that gullible they deserve to be duped. Come on, people. This scenario is so bizarre it's laughable. It's like reading Swift's A Modest Proposal and thinking, "Hey, that's a good idea!"

Charlie Horse
09-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Sounds like a load of crap to me. Not even a very good read if you ask me.

Darzian
09-24-2008, 05:42 PM
If people are that gullible they deserve to be duped. Come on, people. This scenario is so bizarre it's laughable. It's like reading Swift's A Modest Proposal and thinking, "Hey, that's a good idea!"

To tell you the truth, before I started to research about publishing, I was under the impression that authors submit directly to publishers and nearly always get accepted. Insane isn't it?

It just shows how far the general public are mislead. I would not have had any issues with this lady's blog (except for the supposed despicable deception). Now I know otherwise.

Such blogs are just one reason for the unawareness of the general public about the typical life of an author. The only authors who come on TV are the really successful ones. Many of them do talk about the difficulties of publishing but most people don't care much for that. Why? Because these writers did get published, so how hard could it be?

I personally dislike false propaganda. The strange thing is that I am not sure what she could possibly get out of this. She's going to a lot of work to do all this.

CaroGirl
09-24-2008, 05:57 PM
To tell you the truth, before I started to research about publishing, I was under the impression that authors submit directly to publishers and nearly always get accepted. Insane isn't it?

It just shows how far the general public are mislead. I would not have had any issues with this lady's blog (except for the supposed despicable deception). Now I know otherwise.

Such blogs are just one reason for the unawareness of the general public about the typical life of an author. The only authors who come on TV are the really successful ones. Many of them do talk about the difficulties of publishing but most people don't care much for that. Why? Because these writers did get published, so how hard could it be?

I personally dislike false propaganda. The strange thing is that I am not sure what she could possibly get out of this. She's going to a lot of work to do all this.
To smell a rat, you don't have to know much about publishing. You probably have to know a bit about business in general (like anyone who's ever had a job) to realize no one mails a cheque to anyone until contracts are signed. My company didn't send my first paycheque to me when they sent the contract. I hadn't SIGNED IT YET plus I hadn't yet done the work.

Also, I can't imagine it would be that easy to trick a bunch of business people into having lunch with you. Even if you could manage it, how would you get them to stay when they discover they have no idea who you are? Time is money and professionals don't waste it.

As to WHY she might do this, I can only guess. Attention is my first thought.

Darzian
09-24-2008, 06:27 PM
Well yes, valid thoughts. I agree with everything there. The very idea that you get a cheque without a formal agreement is ludicrous. I was just pointing out the part where her story is apparently accepted so easily by a big publisher.

As to WHY she might do this, I can only guess. Attention is my first thought
UNQOTE

Well, she's getting plenty of that here. 100+ replies!:D

PS: She had her entire manuscript in her purse? :Shrug:

Kats
09-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Wow, what a crazy story. I love the part about tricking people into having lunch with her and making them pay for it (as if that's a good thing!).

Stacia Kane
09-24-2008, 07:13 PM
I love the part where she hands an envelope (because all novel-length manuscripts fit in envelopes; they're only, oh, four hundred pages long) to the editor and says "Here's my latest manuscript! Call me if there's any problems!" and the editor doesn't say, "You're not one of my writers, because trust me I do know all their names, so why are you giving this to me?"

Or just toss the thing unopened when s/he gets back to work.

Sheryl Nantus
09-24-2008, 07:15 PM
I love the part where she hands an envelope (because all novel-length manuscripts fit in envelopes; they're only, oh, four hundred pages long) to the editor and says "Here's my latest manuscript! Call me if there's any problems!" and the editor doesn't say, "You're not one of my writers, because trust me I do know all their names, so why are you giving this to me?"

Or just toss the thing unopened when s/he gets back to work.

which is why it just isn't believable.

I've noticed this with chronic liars - they tend to NOT see the silliness in what they post. They don't do their homework and figure out how to make it seem logical.

I'd not only toss the manuscript I'd be calling the cops, getting a retraining order and warning all my collegues to keep away from this nutcase. Stalking is Not A Good Thing, even more so when it seems like it's her hobby.

:)

priceless1
09-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Unless someone wrote the same exact manuscript, she submitted this to us. Editors don't get "conned" into lunches, and they certainly are never conned into paying out checks. In fact, it's nearly impossible to do, even for little spuds like us. Reason being, the contract has to be signed first. Otherwise the accountants and attorneys scream bloody murder. Secondly, checks normally require two signatures and/or the approval of the submissions committee. It's difficult to imagine an entire submissions committee be that stupid - and still be in business. This is fiction, pure and simple.

Bubastes
09-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Whoa, seriously? Wait, your company publishes only non-fiction personal stories, right? So much for that WHOLE WEEK of research she did. Apparently it didn't include reading submission guidelines.

Grrarrgh
09-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Did anyone else read the post where she suddenly realized that she writes exactly like Paul Sheldon (MC in Stephen King's Misery) and that she had to bang the entire manuscript out on an old Royal typewriter without using the backspace key? She would light a cigarette and it would burn all the way down without her ever taking a drag on it because her hands were just too busy typing to be bothered picking it up. :crazy:

BenPanced
09-24-2008, 07:51 PM
Isn't that how all writers work?

Well, not me. I also have an open bottle of whiskey next to my ashtray. I don't use a glass; those take too much time to fill so I just drink straight from the bottle.

priceless1
09-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Whoa, seriously? Wait, your company publishes only non-fiction personal stories, right? So much for that WHOLE WEEK of research she did. Apparently it didn't include reading submission guidelines.
Sad to say, but many, many writers either don't read the submission guidelines, or they think they're written to keep out the tourists.

Christine N.
09-24-2008, 07:57 PM
And wouldn't you, as an editor, notice that the name on the manuscript WASN'T the same as the name of the person (with the common sounding name) you just had lunch with? Not that people don't use pen names, but she had to have her real name and contact info on the manuscript to get the contract. So somewhere on there SHOULD have been the fake name - how did she manage that?

Sheryl Nantus
09-24-2008, 07:58 PM
Isn't that how all writers work?

Well, not me. I also have an open bottle of whiskey next to my ashtray. I don't use a glass; those take too much time to fill so I just drink straight from the bottle.

in college I used to have cheap Canadian sherry. Five bucks a bottle back in 1983.

Lord, it was sweet.

did the Camels as well - had to do the angsty-drunken-smoking writer thang.

thank GOD I got it all out of my system.

sounds like you passed on a winner there, P.- after all, she then went and sold it to A Big Publishing House, doncha know.

FennelGiraffe
09-24-2008, 08:00 PM
The commenter who disturbs me is this guy: here (http://bloggrrl.com/2008/09/05/my-novel-is-going-to-be-published/#comment-5155) and here (http://bloggrrl.com/2008/09/05/my-novel-is-going-to-be-published/#comment-5183). Unless there's a case of identity theft going on, he ought (http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Search/QuickSearchProc/1,,Author_1000068962,00.html) to know (http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/2006/09/bookends-talks-to-jonathan-mcgoran.html) better.

Bufty
09-24-2008, 08:11 PM
Who says it was accepted by a big publisher? She does, but who else?

I was just pointing out the part where her story is apparently accepted so easily by a big publisher.

DeadlyAccurate
09-24-2008, 08:14 PM
He's one of my MySpace friends, so I sent him a message asking if he knows about the posts. If he doesn't, he should be aware of how his name is being used.

Darzian
09-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Who says it was accepted by a big publisher? She does, but who else?

What I had earlier said:

I was just pointing out the part where her story is apparently accepted so easily by a big publisher.

To a normal person, it likely would not seem all that unusual that MS s are accepted so easily. We, writers, know otherwise. And the efficient management of her blog in her favor is only helping get that across.

Okay never mind that anyway. There is no excuse for anyone buying that story- it has way too many flaws.

Deadly accurate- let us know how it goes. If he was never on that site- then this is very unpleasant.

Mel
09-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Was wondering if anyone could contact him to find out if he really did post those messages. Be interesting to hear what he says.

priceless1
09-24-2008, 09:32 PM
And wouldn't you, as an editor, notice that the name on the manuscript WASN'T the same as the name of the person (with the common sounding name) you just had lunch with? Not that people don't use pen names, but she had to have her real name and contact info on the manuscript to get the contract. So somewhere on there SHOULD have been the fake name - how did she manage that?
To be honest, I wouldn't get conned into a lunch in the first place. I usually establish some sort of phone relationship first. I mean, why waste both our time if it's something I'm not interested in? This scenario just doesn't happen.

Secondly, if her sights were on the large publishers, why submit to us? Doesn't make sense. Now agents do this - meaning I'll get manuscripts sent to me from very good agents even though they still have big publishers who are interested because they realize I can get the book out faster than two years, and that I put out a quality product, have distribution, reviews, blah, blah, blah.

Authors, on the other hand, have no insight on this, and they would stick with the large presses and stay there until all their options were depleted - which would be pretty fast since many of those publishers won't accept unagented submissions.

Stacia Kane
09-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Unless someone wrote the same exact manuscript, she submitted this to us. Editors don't get "conned" into lunches, and they certainly are never conned into paying out checks. In fact, it's nearly impossible to do, even for little spuds like us. Reason being, the contract has to be signed first. Otherwise the accountants and attorneys scream bloody murder. Secondly, checks normally require two signatures and/or the approval of the submissions committee. It's difficult to imagine an entire submissions committee be that stupid - and still be in business. This is fiction, pure and simple.

Wait, she submitted this how-I-got-published story? I'm confused (and probably stupid as everyone else gets it. Sorry.)

DeadlyAccurate
09-25-2008, 12:34 AM
He's one of my MySpace friends, so I sent him a message asking if he knows about the posts. If he doesn't, he should be aware of how his name is being used.

Just a quick update that he did confirm the posts were his. It wouldn't be polite to share his emails, but I will say he was quite kind and gracious in his replies to me.

Stacia Kane
09-25-2008, 01:08 AM
I think priceless means she submitted the 'manuscript-in-a-purse'. There are samples of it all over her blog.

Aaaah. Thanks, duh.

EriRae
09-25-2008, 02:30 PM
DeadlyAccurate: was he doing research?