What Rays?

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Just thought I'd mention, in case anyone missed the news, that the Tampa BAY Rays clinched a playoff birth yesterday. It's their first trip to the post season after ten straight years in the cellar.

It'll be fun to see what happens next. Or heartbreaking. Or both...

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Why did you bold Bay?
Some people believe, including news sources, that the team is called, Tampa Rays.

That's incorrect. The team plays out of Saint Petersburg, Florida, their home town, not Tampa. The moniker, Tampa Bay Rays, relates to a region, not a city.

Bill Ward

billwardwriter.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.billwardwriter.com
The correct name is Devil Rays. Come on, you aren't buying into this goody-goody name change crap, are you? Devil Devil Devil, I say. Embrace it -- much cooler than the little altar boy sunburst stuff.

As an O's fan (or is that 'co-sufferer'?) I don't know if I'm happy to see a team that isn't the overbought likes of the Yankees or the insufferable Bosox taking the ALEast for a change, or if I preferred having that nice cushion down at the bottom to keep the birds company down in the basement. Anyway, congrats to DEVIL rays fans on the spectacular turnaround.

But it's lonely at the bottom without you. :(

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can call 'em Rays, or you can call 'em Jays...

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
But, you know, Tampa Bay Devil Rays is an awful lot for all those retired folks to remember. Tampa Rays is just so much easier for those with early onset senility. :) *ducking and running*

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
At the risk of jinxing the boys from Saint Petersburg, Florida, it should be noted they took the first game of their division series with the White Sox today.

An interesting stat is that Evan Longoria swung the bat only three times. Each swat resulted in a run (two homers and a single).

He walked his last time at bat.

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
This here Red Sox fan has no shame in saying the RAYS scare the red right out of me socks!

No offense, but I was hoping the White Sox would do a better job...

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Tampa Bay all the way

My new mantra

Richard

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...Dang, I forgot to take my bra off this time. My bad.
Ouch! You really need to do something with those under-wires poking through like clothes hangers. They're lethal!

At the risk of wrath...(hmmpf, snort!)...GO RED SOX!

ETA: It's on! See all y'all on Friday!
Best of luck to the Red Sox. (I don't mean that; just trying to sound friendly.)

BOO!!! HISS!!! DOWN WITH THE RAYS!!!! BOO!!!! HISS!!!
Poor ToT. First it was Da Bears falling a couple of weeks ago to a Florida team, and now this. The South has truly risen this time!

As a side note, I noticed it was fitting the White Sox fans were all dressed in black for their team's funeral. It was a touching tribute to close out their season.

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Poor ToT. First it was Da Bears falling a couple of weeks ago to a Florida team, and now this. The South has truly risen this time!

As a side note, I noticed it was fitting the White Sox fans were all dressed in black for their team's funeral. It was a touching tribute to close out their season.
Well, our points are the same, but at least we're in first in our division. Enjoy the wins while you can.

Oh, you're so funny. I can't wait until LA demolishes you. GO ANGELS!!!!!!!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Big game tomorrow night against the Red Sox. I'm not worried about the outcome at all. In fact, I haven't thought about it once in the last five minutes or so...

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone else notice Stephen King attended last night's game? He was shown reading Kate Atkinson's book, When Will There Be Good News? while the Rays' bats were silencing the crowd. (How fitting a book title is that?)

Maybe he should've been jotting down notes about the game instead, you know, in case he ever wants to write a baseball horror classic some day. :D

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
Did anyone else notice Stephen King attended last night's game? He was shown reading Kate Atkinson's book, When Will There Be Good News? while the Rays' bats were silencing the crowd. (How fitting a book title is that?)

Maybe he should've been jotting down notes about the game instead, you know, in case he ever wants to write a baseball horror classic some day. :D

Keep it up...:rant:

This is sports writing, not comedy cabaret (mutter, mutter).
Too bad the Dodgers blew it.