PDA

View Full Version : What Rays?

Silver King
09-22-2008, 05:14 AM
Just thought I'd mention, in case anyone missed the news, that the Tampa BAY Rays clinched a playoff birth yesterday. It's their first trip to the post season after ten straight years in the cellar.

It'll be fun to see what happens next. Or heartbreaking. Or both...

Shadow_Ferret
09-22-2008, 05:17 AM
Why did you bold Bay?

Silver King
09-22-2008, 06:35 AM
Why did you bold Bay?
Some people believe, including news sources, that the team is called, Tampa Rays.

That's incorrect. The team plays out of Saint Petersburg, Florida, their home town, not Tampa. The moniker, Tampa Bay Rays, relates to a region, not a city.

Bill Ward
09-22-2008, 10:53 AM
The correct name is Devil Rays. Come on, you aren't buying into this goody-goody name change crap, are you? Devil Devil Devil, I say. Embrace it -- much cooler than the little altar boy sunburst stuff.

As an O's fan (or is that 'co-sufferer'?) I don't know if I'm happy to see a team that isn't the overbought likes of the Yankees or the insufferable Bosox taking the ALEast for a change, or if I preferred having that nice cushion down at the bottom to keep the birds company down in the basement. Anyway, congrats to DEVIL rays fans on the spectacular turnaround.

But it's lonely at the bottom without you. :(

poetinahat
09-22-2008, 10:56 AM
You can call 'em Rays, or you can call 'em Jays...

Cassiopeia
09-22-2008, 11:04 AM
*walks quietly unseen through the thread intent on renewing her efforts to stalk the poetic one*

Beach Bunny
09-22-2008, 12:16 PM
But, you know, Tampa Bay Devil Rays is an awful lot for all those retired folks to remember. Tampa Rays is just so much easier for those with early onset senility. :) *ducking and running*

Silver King
10-03-2008, 04:55 AM
At the risk of jinxing the boys from Saint Petersburg, Florida, it should be noted they took the first game of their division series with the White Sox today.

An interesting stat is that Evan Longoria swung the bat only three times. Each swat resulted in a run (two homers and a single).

He walked his last time at bat.

Silver King
10-04-2008, 05:45 AM
Oh, and the Rays took the second game, too. :)

Foinah
10-07-2008, 03:30 AM
This here Red Sox fan has no shame in saying the RAYS scare the red right out of me socks!

No offense, but I was hoping the White Sox would do a better job...

Silver King
10-07-2008, 05:29 AM
...No offense, but I was hoping the White Sox would do a better job...
Sadly for some, they did not, and the Rays won the division series this evening.

Go Angels! :D

mscelina
10-07-2008, 05:32 AM
SILVER KING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*runs into thread and tackle hugs SK*

Ooops.

*blush*

Dang, I forgot to take my bra off this time. My bad.

Seaclusion
10-07-2008, 05:44 AM
Tampa Bay all the way

My new mantra

Richard

Foinah
10-07-2008, 05:49 AM
At the risk of wrath...(hmmpf, snort!)...GO RED SOX!

ETA: It's on! See all y'all on Friday!

TrainofThought
10-07-2008, 07:10 PM
BOO!!! HISS!!! DOWN WITH THE RAYS!!!! BOO!!!! HISS!!!

Silver King
10-08-2008, 05:24 AM
...Dang, I forgot to take my bra off this time. My bad.
Ouch! You really need to do something with those under-wires poking through like clothes hangers. They're lethal!

At the risk of wrath...(hmmpf, snort!)...GO RED SOX!

ETA: It's on! See all y'all on Friday!
Best of luck to the Red Sox. (I don't mean that; just trying to sound friendly.)

BOO!!! HISS!!! DOWN WITH THE RAYS!!!! BOO!!!! HISS!!!
Poor ToT. First it was Da Bears falling a couple of weeks ago to a Florida team, and now this. The South has truly risen this time!

As a side note, I noticed it was fitting the White Sox fans were all dressed in black for their team's funeral. It was a touching tribute to close out their season.

TrainofThought
10-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Poor ToT. First it was Da Bears falling a couple of weeks ago to a Florida team, and now this. The South has truly risen this time!

As a side note, I noticed it was fitting the White Sox fans were all dressed in black for their team's funeral. It was a touching tribute to close out their season.Well, our points are the same, but at least we're in first in our division. Enjoy the wins while you can.

Oh, you're so funny. I can't wait until LA demolishes you. GO ANGELS!!!!!!!

Silver King
10-10-2008, 06:28 AM
Big game tomorrow night against the Red Sox. I'm not worried about the outcome at all. In fact, I haven't thought about it once in the last five minutes or so...

Silver King
10-14-2008, 05:49 AM
Ahem.

Nothing else. Just had to clear my throat.

Foinah
10-14-2008, 06:29 AM
Ahem.

Nothing else. Just had to clear my throat.

SHADDUP!!!!

aka eraser
10-14-2008, 06:31 PM
Oh, I can hear the howls of dismay coming from the TV execs now. It's looking like two small market teams are headed for a World Series showdown.

Silver King
10-16-2008, 03:32 AM
Did anyone else notice Stephen King attended last night's game? He was shown reading Kate Atkinson's book, When Will There Be Good News? while the Rays' bats were silencing the crowd. (How fitting a book title is that?)

Maybe he should've been jotting down notes about the game instead, you know, in case he ever wants to write a baseball horror classic some day. :D

Foinah
10-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Did anyone else notice Stephen King attended last night's game? He was shown reading Kate Atkinson's book, When Will There Be Good News? while the Rays' bats were silencing the crowd. (How fitting a book title is that?)

Maybe he should've been jotting down notes about the game instead, you know, in case he ever wants to write a baseball horror classic some day. :D

Keep it up...:rant:

This is sports writing, not comedy cabaret (mutter, mutter).
Too bad the Dodgers blew it.

TrainofThought
10-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Keep it up...:rant:

This is sports writing, not comedy cabaret (mutter, mutter).
Too bad the Dodgers blew it.I agree. :(

Foinah
10-17-2008, 08:55 AM
OH, SNAP!

ETA: that was for the Sox come back...

Tonight I will be munching antacids like candy and swearing -- A LOT!

Foinah
10-20-2008, 09:31 AM
congrats. :tongue

aka eraser
10-20-2008, 06:22 PM
Exciting finish to what looked to be a humdrum series. Let's hope the Series goes 7!

Foinah
10-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Well, not to be too much a prissy pants, I will not be watching. However, I will root for Philly in the confines of my own head.

I hate baseball.

Bleh.

aka eraser
10-21-2008, 12:17 AM
In my heart of hearts, I'm a National Leaguer (unless the Jays are in the post season) so I'm leaning towards the Phillies too. The Rays are a great Cinderella story though and I won't cry if they win.

I love baseball. ;)

Silver King
10-21-2008, 03:51 AM
I was worried there for a while, but the boys came through in the end.

Please don't tell Foinah, but I've enjoyed watching the Red Sox for some years now, especially when it came time for them to spank the Yankees. Up until this year, they've brought me far more satisfaction than the Rays ever did...

I'll also admit that I've had a belly-full of Red Sox Nation to last a while, at least until next season. I almost, almost, started to dislike them from top to bottom, but that's just 'cause we were in a dead heat there toward the end.

In case you'd like to read more about the Rays, someone started a thread about them here (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119155) in Office Party. I was tempted to move the discussion to this forum, but then it would've seemed like I was gloating. :D

Foinah
10-21-2008, 09:26 AM
Bah.
I will say the Rays were the better team and deserve the prize. The sox played like school kids with the bases loaded. Next year...next year...

Cackle ™

katiemac
10-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Bah.
I will say the Rays were the better team and deserve the prize. The sox played like school kids with the bases loaded. Next year...next year...

Cackle ™

Sadly, they really were off their game. I think the Sox show an extraordinarily amount of level-headedness on the field and are very strong defensively. Their error numbers are low (what, 19 straight post-season games, error-free? Something like that) and the Rays made a lot of defensive mistakes in the later games of the series.

It's their batting lineup. They suffered a big loss without Lowell hitting, Papi slowing down, Ellusbury slumping and Varitek taking a dive in his average. They were relying on Pedroia, Crisp and Drew to get the big hits.

Seems like every time they've got something strong going, they pull back and have to prove all over again they're worth it. They won it 2004, and Damon left. They recouped, came back and in 2007 won again with what was arguably a better team than when Damon was on (and stuck one to the Yankees while they were at it). Now with so many injuries, and letting Manny go, there are a lot of folks who would have liked to prove they can win with so many season downers. Winning without Manny would have been a good feeling.

Oh well, congratulations Rays, you deserved it in the end. Ten years is a long time without a shot at the series--at least you didn't have to wait 80+ years!

gypsyscarlett
10-22-2008, 03:28 AM
I actually wasn't that upset when my Sox lost. It didn't feel like it was their year. They gave it their all- an historic 4th game - and pushed it to 7.

I'm not sure yet whether I'm going to root for the Rays or the Phillies. But, I certainly don't hold any resentment towards the Rays. They earned their spot in the WS. So congrats to them and their fans.

cletus
10-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Let's hope the Series goes 7!

Let's not. I'm a lifelong Phillies phan now living in England. Games don't start until after 1 in the morning over here and I only have 2.5 days (Or 5 half days) of holiday left to take the mornings after games off. With Saturday's game being a freebie, I can only afford the Series to go 6 games.

aka eraser
10-22-2008, 08:33 PM
FINE!

But the 6th game has to go to extra innings.

;)

cletus
10-23-2008, 12:43 PM
I'll give you 7 games if you want them. Was so tired at quarter to midnight last night I set the VCR and went to bed. Woke up early this morning and watched game 1 on tape. Since I was up early this morning, I won't want to stay up late for game 2. Will get up early tomorrow morning and watch it off of tape as well. Will catch up with live games when the Series moves to Philly over the weekend.

cray
10-23-2008, 05:55 PM
1 down! go phils!

Vandal
10-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Ha. I knew they would fold in June at the all-star break July August September against the Red Sox The World Series.

I just knew it.

aka eraser
10-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Looks like the pressure might finally be catching up to those overachieving kids. They seem to be forgetting that you have to actually catch the ball before making a play with it.

Like Vandal so aptly displayed though - they've been counted out a few times this year. But they've sure got a steep hill to climb now.

TrainofThought
10-27-2008, 09:48 PM
1 down! go phils!3 down, one more to go. Go Phils!

*clears throat* SK, do you remember dissing my White Sox? ;) Have the Rays put on about 80 more decades to be an admired franchise team and then maybe, maybe, I'll cheer for them.

cray
10-27-2008, 09:54 PM
Looks like the pressure might finally be catching up to those overachieving kids. They seem to be forgetting that you have to actually catch the ball before making a play with it.

Like Vandal so aptly displayed though - they've been counted out a few times this year. But they've sure got a steep hill to climb now.

agreed. stranger things have happened though *crosses fingers*

i'd love to just get this thing over with tonight.
i need my sleep.

3 down, one more to go. Go Phils!

*clears throat* SK, do you remember dissing my White Sox? ;) Have the Rays put on about 80 more decades to be an admired franchise team and then maybe, maybe, I'll cheer for them.

:D

Silver King
10-30-2008, 06:08 AM
Congrats to the Phils players, the organization and their fans. :)

I was hoping it would be a hard fought battle, but alas, it turned into a walk in the park for the winning team.

There's always next year, eh?

jennifer75
10-30-2008, 06:16 AM
Go DODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cray
10-30-2008, 06:41 AM
Congrats to the Phils players, the organization and their fans. :)

I was hoping it would be a hard fought battle, but alas, it turned into a walk in the park for the winning team.

There's always next year, eh?

thank you, sir.

and what a weird way to win with that suspended game. crazy.

anyway,.....we'll take it! it's been far to long.

*insert dancing snoopy here*

ChaosTitan
10-30-2008, 06:44 AM
:hooray::hooray: Yay, Phillies!!!!!!!!

Silver King
10-30-2008, 07:37 AM
I'll always remember this series as the teams playing in the driving rain. It was surreal at times, and I thought the delay would help the Rays.

It was not to be, though, and my hats off to Philadelphia. :)

Jersey Chick
10-30-2008, 07:46 AM
Congrats to all Phillies fans - and my hat's off to the Rays (Well, it would be if I actually wore hats), they have nuttin' to be ashamed of either! :D

cletus
10-30-2008, 01:37 PM
:Trophy:
:PartySmil:PartySmil:PartySmil:PartySmil:PartySmil :PartySmil:PartySmil:PartySmil:PartySmil:PartySmil :PartySmil:PartySmil:PartySmil:PartySmil:PartySmil :PartySmil:PartySmil:PartySmil:PartySmil:PartySmil :PartySmil:PartySmil:PartySmil:PartySmil

aka eraser
10-30-2008, 07:06 PM
Congrats to the Philly phanatics. :)