PDA

View Full Version : Cooking help

Eskimo1990
09-22-2008, 12:40 AM
I'm planning a dinner for my boyfriend and I.
I plan on making lasagna.
I have one problem. My boyfriend is notorious for showing up late. I don't want to cook while he's there since I have a feeling he would um distract me from what I was doing.
So how do I keep things warm with out burning them?

Clair Dickson
09-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Well lasagna takes an hour to cook (at leat mine does.) Then you can turn the heat down and let it stay in the over. Or even turn the oven off and leave the lasagna in there until bf shows up. Unless it's a superlong time, it shouldn't burn.

You could put in the oven a half hour before bf is supposed to show, that gives him time to be late. And then you can leave it in the oven while you meet, greet, and other distractions when bf arrives.

Eskimo1990
09-22-2008, 12:57 AM
The one I'm making takes 30 to 35 minutes to bake.

vixey
09-22-2008, 01:00 AM
It's important to cover it (foil or lid if your pan has one). Overcooked lasagne suffers from dried out (or burned) noodles. Covering it will keep it from drying out. Keep it in the oven at very low temp (150-180). You could also use extra sauce as you make it.

ETA: Other than dried out noodles, it's difficult to really overcook lasagne. Good choice for someone who doesn't show on time.

chevbrock
09-24-2008, 10:39 AM
As above - a quick blast in the microwave after you plate up will also bring it to an enjoyable temperature.

Enjoy your night! :)

blacbird
09-24-2008, 10:25 PM
As above - a quick blast in the microwave after you plate up will also bring it to an enjoyable temperature.

Except if you've covered it with foil, be sure to replace that with a non-metallic lid or plastic wrap before you microwave it.

caw

JLCwrites
09-25-2008, 01:24 AM
I agree with the above, however, if BF is more than 15 minutes late and he didn't call... I would eat dinner without him. A habit of being late is grounds for a kick out the door, and no 'dessert!' (Unless he is arriving from a job that is always making him late. If that is the case, then schedule your dinners later.)

Eskimo1990
09-25-2008, 03:24 AM
Not from a job. He lives two hours away from me, so it is expected some.

Clair Dickson
09-25-2008, 06:21 AM
Couldn't he CALL though, when he gets off work? Then you know about how much time you have to get things ready. Seems like that would be the polite, caring thing to do...

Eskimo1990
09-25-2008, 06:26 AM
He doesn't have a job. He's in college right now. But it's about 2 hours away from where I live.

Oh he could call..but he has this thing where he likes to surprise me as to when he'll actually show up. I can't depend on him for the time of when he'll get here. Once he said see you in an hour (which didn't sound right as he had told me 30 minutes about 15 minutes before that) about 5 minutes later, there was a knock on my door. *shakes head* he always keeps me guessing.

Thanks for the advice though guys. I dunno if it will actually happen. Our schedules conflict, and since he's 2 hours away, he can only visit on weekends. But he has flight team practice every weekend until May. :( So we're currently working on when I can do this...unless I drive to see him...which I can't since I don't have a car or license :(

Clair Dickson
09-25-2008, 07:15 AM
Wow. I would get really irritated if someone was either always early (surprise!) or late... that would be disrespectful of me and my boundaries. If you're okay with him dictating your schedule, then disregard what I'm saying. I just couldn't handle that... unless it was once in a while. I have my own life, I don't like other people rearranging it for me-- especially not on any regular basis. (Which to me is REALLY disrespectful, no matter how much they say they love me.) But to each his own!

Eskimo1990
09-25-2008, 08:16 AM
He's only done that once. He normally lets me know if he's going to be later then we planned.

The first time we went on a date he sent me a facebook message (from his phone) telling me to open my door. When I opened it, he was standing in the hallway, looking very handsome if I can say so myself ;)

Today's our one month :)

Clair Dickson
09-25-2008, 08:26 AM
My boyfriend is notorious for showing up late.
Bolding mine.

Then you said:

He's only done that once. He normally lets me know if he's going to be later then we planned.

Sorry if I misunderstood-- I don't usually associate 'notorious' with a single happening.

If it's really only once (and in one month, I should hope so) then my comments are misguided. I'm an alternative high school teacher and I see a lot of young women who let guys walk all over them-- dictate when, where, how and whatever regarding their time together. So I get a little easily riled on that subject.

Congrats on making it month! One down, and many to go... so long as he's treating you like he respects you, your time, and your goals in life. =)

(Peeking at your profile, I think I'm seeing an attractive, intelligent young woman. You damn well deserve to be treated well.)

Eskimo1990
09-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Only surprised me with showing at early once. He is often late, but he has a busy schedule and it is understandable. Normally he's not more 30 minutes. I've learned that if he said he'll be there at 3:30, it really won't be until four. That's only when we're hanging out together. He's great at making it on time when the time is extremely important. Like this Saturday for homecoming :)

Thank you :)

We've been dating for once month. flirting and going on dates nearly two month. I've only known him since July actually

katiemac
09-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Well, I missed the meal-prepping part of the question, but next time you could always make the lasagna very early (say in the middle of the day) and keep it in the refrigerator until he actually shows up. Then you don't have to do any cooking while he's around, just pop it in the oven. Let the lasagna sit in the oven while it heats to 350 (or whatever temp) to offset the chill from the fridge.

Eskimo1990
09-26-2008, 01:47 PM
I thought about that actually. And it suggests that in the cooking book that I got the recipe from. Assuming my plans ever work out, I think that would be the best idea. Thanks