Fresh Raspberries

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We went to the apple farm to pick apples (we're smart that way), but somehow came home with a quart of very tiny autumn raspberries, about a fourth of them just a little underripe. I figure they're good for about two days, tops.

Who's got a brilliant idea for what we should do with them other than sparking up spinach salads, plopping on cereal or into yogurt, and other stuff that'll use up a quarter-cup at a time? I don't do jam.

Maryn, who does bake, cook, and freeze

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Use some of those apples to make a pie and throw a handful or two of the berries in. Or make applesauce and add some berries. Or just eat them out of your hand, which is probably what I would do.

MM

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I can empathise with buying extra when it comes to raspberries. Up here we get some fresh but most often frozen. They all look greyish-red, all the same colour and all with a taste that makes me long for the real thing.

I'd go for the apple or pear pie with raspberries mixed in or in a sweet pancake for breakfast.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
Raspberrries and figs are my favourite fruits by far. Maryn, seeing as you're good at baking, try a raspberry cheesecake! Even I can make one, and I'm no great shakes in the kitchen.
Once you've made your basic cheescake base. For the filling: Melt 2 tblsp/8sheets gelatine in warm water. Using electric beaters, beat 500 g cream cheese until softened, add 1/3 cup lemon juice and 1/2 cup sugar. Beat until smooth. Gently fold 1 1/4 cups whipped cream into cheese mixture. Separately, blend 250 g raspberries with 2 tbsp sugar, until smooth. Fold half the gelatine mixture into cheese mixture and half into raspberry mixture. Swirl both mixtures into prepared tin. It looks beautiful! Refrigerate 4 hours or until set. Decorate with whipped cream and more raspberries. Enjoy (and send me a slice!)

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
They sound good with a great big dollop of fresh, homemade whipped cream, which is not hard at all to make I learned this summer. Even my brother who does not like whipped cream likes homemade whipped cream. Plenty of vanilla and sugar, mmmm.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
raspberry clafouti! Mmmmmh!

Or make brownies and add the berries in. Raspberry fool, cobbler, panna cotta

chocrasptruffle2a.jpg

Gods, I love raspberries!

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Mmmmmm. Peach Raspberry Cobbler! Mama used to make this using peaches, mostly; but throw in a goodly amount of fresh raspberryies and it's incredible. Served hot out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, it's unbelievable how good it is... and it's even better if you start with three cups fresh peaches, peeling them, slicing them and bringing them just to the boil with a couple tablespoons of sugar and a splash of sweet wine. The difference between canned and fresh is unforgettable!

Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a 9"X13" baking dish with Pam. Set aside.

Mix:

1 C Self-Rising Flour
(If you have All-Purpose Flour, use it and add a couple teaspoons of Baking Powder)
Dash of Salt
1 C Sugar
1 C Milk
1 #303 Can of Sliced Peaches (or other fruit) packed in syrup or fresh as above
Nutmeg (just a few rubs over the microplane... don't go overboard)
Butter
Cinnamon, to sprinkle on top before baking

Mix the dry ingredients (leaving the cinnamon out) before adding the milk. Whisk until smooth. Pour into baking dish. Drain fruit a bit, leaving just enough juice to float on the surface of the batter; place fruit evenly on top of batter and drizzle on some of the juice. Dot with butter. Sprinkle with Cinnamon.

Bake for about 45-50 minutes, or until batter puffs up and turns golden brown and delicious.