Drunk ppl are yucky...

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is a semi-serious thread that on the surface is about drinking habits, but underneath it's just an introvert pleading for mercy.

My sister's wedding is next weekend. Already the revelers have started arriving. Everyone but me drinks. I won't touch the stuff.

And of course, drunks are all loud and kissy and want you to come have a drink with them.

Now, I already have some survival skills in place, on account of never having been a drinker, but for the love of my sanity, anyone have any tips for how to survive the next week?

:flag:

Cheers,
BahamutBrat

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Genius. I take good pictures too, all the better to highlight their drunken and hungover state.

czjaba

dreaming of the day...
Registered
Reaction score
I like to do silly stuff to drunk people, too. Like if they take off their shoes or sandals, put one of them on the back porch or in a room he hasn't been in. That'll make him wonder all night how drunk he really is. How did his shoe get in the laundry room? :D

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Take plenty of before and after pictures. :D The next day, during all the hangovers, show the pics. :D

I do have a drink now and then, but I agree with the pictures. Video would be even better. You'll probably have a blast just capturing the drunk people on film. I'm sure even when you show them the tape the next day, you'll still be laughing. They might be too though. One good way not to become a drunk is to watch horrible drunks in action

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellllllent. *Tents fingers together sinisterly*

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
My father was a cheap drunk. He was generally knocked out on a couple of beers. He would ramble on about the craziest things, swearing they were true. When I was growing up hardly anybody could afford a video camera, but we had tape recorders. They were the cool thing to have way back then. LOL My mother use to tape him when he would get drunk. She would play it back to him the next day to show him how stupid he sounded. Oh, the fond memories of my childhood.:D

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
On a more serious note, my mother's side of the family (the big side) is almost exactly as you describe. Although I sometimes have a drink or two, I almost never get drunk, and I don't drink beer, and I'm also an introvert amongst extreme extroverts. I tend to find a quite corner to hang out in and watch the fun, being social just enough so that I don't have to deal with accusations of being anti-social.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I'm convinced that half the reason for weddings is to help single people hook up. And sometimes those who aren't single, too. So I wouldn't be surprised to hear you post stories about being hit on, come this weekend.

One way to avoid more attention than you might otherwise get is to not smile at any guys.

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
This is a semi-serious thread that on the surface is about drinking habits, but underneath it's just an introvert pleading for mercy.

My sister's wedding is next weekend. Already the revelers have started arriving. Everyone but me drinks. I won't touch the stuff.

And of course, drunks are all loud and kissy and want you to come have a drink with them.

Now, I already have some survival skills in place, on account of never having been a drinker, but for the love of my sanity, anyone have any tips for how to survive the next week?

:flag:

Cheers,
BahamutBrat

First, count yourself lucky that they are silly drunks, not mean and obnoxious drunks. I WILL NEVER go out to a bar with any member of my family again. Not in this lifetime OR the next one. I can't take the humiliation of people knowing that I am acquainted with them much less related to them. :e2cry:

In addition to what the others have suggested. You could also get up earlier than everyone and make a lot of noise. Like banging pots and pans together while fixing everyone breakfast. :D And be real cheerful, perky is even better, and real loud in your cheerfulness. Nothing worse when you have a hangover than to have someone banging things around and being perky while they are at it.

You might also consider staying in a hotel for the duration of the invasion. That way you have some place to escape to when your family gets to be too much. Alternatively, find a safe place where you can go hide for awhile when it gets to be too much.

Another thought is to take notes of all the crazy silly behavior. This is great source material for any wacky characters you might want to put in your novel. :D

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score
My father was a cheap drunk. He was generally knocked out on a couple of beers. He would ramble on about the craziest things, swearing they were true. When I was growing up hardly anybody could afford a video camera, but we had tape recorders. They were the cool thing to have way back then. LOL My mother use to tape him when he would get drunk. She would play it back to him the next day to show him how stupid he sounded. Oh, the fond memories of my childhood.:D

Same thing with my Dad. I can't quite understand how anyone could get drunk on half a bottle of wine. Luckily I don't take after him. Just like my mother's folk, I need at least a barrel. Luckily again, I never took to drinking hard. A beer or two every other day is what I like.

Last edited:

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
And from what little I know about ethanol and recent studies on its effects, it might be a good health tradeoff to have one drink every night. Not zero, not two or more--one. In so doing, you're trading liver/brain function for better circulatory health. And depending on your family's medical history, that might be a good idea.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
I don't usually drink but last night I went on my first "pub golf" tour. I was already drunk by the third "hole" >_< I'm kinda embarassed by my drunken behavior. I get happy and loud and really friendly >___<

And then...I brought a guy home. Yeah, he just left. I feel all Grey's Anatomy-ish :/

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
^ That's one of those types of posts I generally delete "the day after".

If I didn't know any better, Thump, I'd say you're bragging ;)

Neurotic

Militant apathist
Registered
Reaction score
It's not yucky until the puking starts. Until then it's all a blackmailer's dream.

Then when the puking does start you can go off and do something else and they'll be too busy feeling sorry for themselves to notice you're not being sociable.

Best fun ever? Cooking a full-on greasy breakfast in front of a bunch of hung over people with the radio blaring as loud as it'll go without distorting.

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
^ That's one of those types of posts I generally delete "the day after".

I'm considering it actually :D But it's not like I regret it. I mean, the sex wasn't great but with all that alcohol, I didn't expect it to be. The embarassing part is, he's in my course and some people saw us leaving together, hand in hand >_<...

It was fun tho. And it makes one more thing to tick off in my "things to do before I die" list.

It's a weird list, I grant you that. I've already ticked off "smoke weed" and "have unsafe sex".

I live on the edge.

But maybe I should take up bungee jumping instead.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
if I were you, I'd purchase a tent and live out in the yard for the week with an armload of books.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So many, many things to do:

This. This. This. Or this, maybe even this.

Maryn, who's been to a number of dry weddings

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
First I thought Beach Bunny was truly evil. Then Neurotic went and topped her.

But the winnah is Maryn. Those pics are truly hilarious, and they show things I might actually do...

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just remember, Sharpie is cruel. Washable markers are not.

Maryn, who didn't post the R- and X-rated ones

Donkey

Registered
Reaction score
dontgetdrunk2.gif

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
There's always the classic mouth-turd smear, if you're truly angry...

But in terms of simple coping, these two tactics:
1. Get yourself a motel room, even if you don't use it. (As per Beach Bunny.)
2. While interacting with 'em, carry a "camo drink" - seltzer water with ice and a twist in a highball glass, for instance. (Or, if you're into serious realism, ginger ale in a beer bottle.)