Orphans, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maestrowork

I just had this thought. Do you think a good number of children stories (with children/pre-teen protagonists) are about orphans?

Or let me put it this way: Do you think if I write a story with orphans as protagonists, it would be considered cliche or "seen that before"? Are there any market for stories with children with perfectly normal parents still alive?

Risseybug

I have to say yes. I just read "Doctor Illuminatus" by Martin Booth. It is a great little fantasy book, with the MC's twins, having two very normal parents.

Skim

Orphans

Orphans are more flexible to work with. You can remove them from the home without creating a major family crisis, because the parents are either dead or relatively uninvolved with the protagonist. I get the impression some writers also use it to draw sympathy to the character.

cluelessspicycinnamon

Re: Orphans

I don't know if it's overused, but I personally don't like the use of them. I also think it's a dumb word. I don't consider myself as having been an orphan.

Stephanie

Rowling's done ok with her use of the orphan motif...:b

Kida Adelyn

Orphans

I wouldn't consider it Cliche or overdone. I think that kids like it because it's one of those secret fears they have. It's kind of the same with protagonists with divorced parents.

Nateskate

If you'd allow that LOTR could easily fit in todays YA fantasy Genre, his book is a book of Orphans.

Frodo was an orphan. Raised by uncle Bilbo

Aragorn was an orphan. Raised by Elrond

Eowyn and Eomir were orphans. Raised by uncle King Theodin.

In his stories, orphans always saved the day!

Tolkien and his wife, Edith Bratt were also orphans; go figure!

wurdwise

I think kids relate to orphans. What kid doesn't somewhat consider him/herself isolated, different? Orphans gain their instant sympathy, and also make them feel better about their own lives if they have what's considered a normal family.

Betty W01

There are tons of stories about orphans (off the top of my head - The Secret Garden, A Little Princess, Heidi, Lemony Snickett, Harry Potter, Madeleine, Babar...)

What you have to ask yourself is, "Is this a good story, well-told?" If it is, it won't matter if there are parents in it or not.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.