PDA

View Full Version : How do you find writing groups in your area?

Chasing the Horizon
09-18-2008, 09:33 AM
The other thread on a writing group got me thinking about this. I've thought it would be nice to join a writing group for a while (preferably one geared more towards social discussion than critique), but am not aware of any in my area. It seems like there should be some in my area, though. Harrisburg is hardly the middle of nowhere. So how do I go about finding them? I'm thinking a small local group may not have any web presence.

escritora
09-18-2008, 09:37 AM
Try meetup.com

Mandy-Jane
09-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Or you could start one of your own?

Mumut
09-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Here the libraries are host to many groups, local newspapers advertise the meetings free but the state-sponsored main writing organisation - Queensland Writers' Centre - has a list of writers' groups but there will be more than this.

JimmyB27
09-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Teh Internets!
I just plugged 'Writers' group Dublin' into Google and found several. I can't go to any of them as they're all in the middle of the day, or too early for me to get back from work in time - but I know they're there.

Deccydiva
09-18-2008, 01:01 PM
I've answered in the other thread too. I found mine via the Library's website. Some are during the day but the one I went to last night is 8pm.

Linda Adams
09-18-2008, 01:53 PM
See if you have a regional writing organization. They're likely to sponsor writing groups.

ajkjd01
09-18-2008, 04:27 PM
My critique group formed out of a bunch of people who met through National Novel Writing Month. When the month was over, we all had written material that needed editing, and we'd all been talking about each other's stories for the entire month. We're still going strong almost two years later.

kct webber
09-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Try meetup.com

Yep. Ours is listed there, as are many others.

Check your local library, both with the librarians and on the announcement boards. Check local bookstores' announcement boards. Check Google. And check your local arts orgs.

There wasn't one at all in my town when I moved here, so I started one. As it turns out, another guy started one at the same time and we have since merged. Now, in just a few months, we have a group of 27 writers who meet regularly. Starting a group is not difficult. If there isn't a group, and you have to start one, just use all the above methods to publicize it. People will come.

Carmy
09-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Libraries and Community Newsletters.

Williebee
09-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Go see your local bookstores, too.

Or, if you are in an area with "non-chain" coffee shops, ask the manager. (That's where mine always meets and hangs out.)

For that matter, tell us what area of the world you're in. You'll probably find one on here.

jennontheisland
09-18-2008, 08:06 PM
I don't. I looked for one, and all that came up, no matter what I searched for, is the same Canadian-literary-fiction-only group. I'm not even going to bother with that. I wouldn't read what they write and I doubt they're interested in my erotic romance genre fiction.

I've decided to live online.

Have you tried NaNo groups in your area? Some do off season events and meetings.

Donkey
09-18-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm also trying to find/put together a writer's group in the Beaverton, Oregon area. I found one gentleman through a local on-line writer's forum, and a lady through Meetups.com. Not an auspicious beginning, but it's a start. Thanks for starting this thread. There are a few suggestions that I'll look into. :)

kct webber
09-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Go see your local bookstores, too.

Or, if you are in an area with "non-chain" coffee shops, ask the manager. (That's where mine always meets and hangs out.)

Not just "non-chains" either. All the Starbucks in my area have announcement boards. We got a few of our members by posting announcements on their boards.

dirtsider
09-18-2008, 09:06 PM
I found one through the local Barnes & Noble. The other I found through the local newspaper. And before I found the second one, I asked at the local library. They had information on some but I was too lazy to go out and find them.

CaroGirl
09-18-2008, 09:37 PM
I connected with the people in my group when we all took the same writing course. We just hit it off, enjoyed each other's writing, and went from there. We've been meeting, with a few additions and subractions over time, for about 4 years now.

Elonna
09-19-2008, 06:47 AM
I just found one in my area. They have a website and a Yahoo group so might want to check there too.

Chasing the Horizon
09-19-2008, 07:14 AM
Thanks very much for all the ideas. I will start checking some of them out. I'm not organized enough to try to start anything (it would be a disaster), so I hope there is already a good one in my area.

CarolSanDiego
09-30-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm in two writer's groups - one that meets in person and one that meets online. For the in person group - we all met when we were in a university extension program for novel writing (it was an evening course, 9 weeks). We've been meeting every other week for two and a half years. My online group was formed by a group of us who all met at a writer's conference and ended up hitting it off and deciding to form a critique group. That one started a year and a half ago and is still going strong. Check out what your community and local universities offer - and good luck!

laidback
10-02-2008, 09:46 PM
. Harrisburg is hardly the middle of nowhere.

Do you mean Harrisburg, PA? If so, check out:
http://www.pennwriters.org/

Maryn
10-02-2008, 10:32 PM
I'm like CaroGirl. I met my critique group when we all took the same class. Some have fallen by the wayside, and the group split in two several years back, but we're still meeting every two weeks sixteen years later. All published, too!

Maryn, who gets a lot from her group