PDA

View Full Version : Typos

rosepddle
09-18-2008, 08:04 AM
In my never ending search for an agent, I've been finding quite a few with typos on their website. I'm not sure what to think about it. I mean we all make them, but as they judge us so harshly shoudn't they go above and beyond to ensure they don't have any typos?

Would you raise an eyebrow at an agent who has a typo on their website?

Matera the Mad
09-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Only if it is one of many.

Even I make toyps.

Clair Dickson
09-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Our job as writers is to write perfect stories with perfect control of the language we use.

Their job is to sell those stories. I'm more worried about whether an agent has sales, whiel the agent is going to be concerned about whether I've taken the time to learn and control my craft. So, yeah, my priority is not whather someone fumblefingered a few words here and there, but whether or not they can sell my story to a publisher.

Chasing the Horizon
09-18-2008, 09:14 AM
One typo wouldn't bother me. Repeated typos or generally poor use of English would concern me because this agent is supposed to be able to judge a manuscript, and how could they if they can't even properly write (or at least edit) the text on their own website?

Even if the agent had good sales (and thus probably can judge an MS), if their website was very sloppily written I would take it as a sign that they're not very careful or professional. I might overlook this for a very top (as in, first or second choice) agent, but otherwise it would probably keep me from submitting to them.

Deccydiva
09-18-2008, 01:04 PM
I would hope that the Agent got somebody in to do the website! But seriously, it would not stop me querying unless, as HTTH says, it's peppered with them.

rosepddle
09-18-2008, 04:30 PM
One typo wouldn't bother me. Repeated typos or generally poor use of English would concern me because this agent is supposed to be able to judge a manuscript, and how could they if they can't even properly write (or at least edit) the text on their own website?

Even if the agent had good sales (and thus probably can judge an MS), if their website was very sloppily written I would take it as a sign that they're not very careful or professional. I might overlook this for a very top (as in, first or second choice) agent, but otherwise it would probably keep me from submitting to them.

Yeah, this really my thoughts as well. I would be concerned about someone with multiple typos on their site. The places I've encountered have only one each but because I had come across 3 sits in a row with a typo, it stood out to me.

Toothpaste
09-18-2008, 05:37 PM
You found one typo each on three different sites (or, um, ironically, "sits")? Typos happen on websites. All the time. They shouldn't, but I know at least my site is done through a third party and sometimes an error can happen between what I give her and what gets put up on the screen. If you've only found one, then I can't see that being a big deal. It appears to be human error and not some fundamental lack of understanding of the basics of spelling and grammar.

I know we want to judge agents as harshly as they judge us, but there is a fallacy even in that. No agent will dump a submission just because of one or two typos. It happens, and they acknowledge that. Maybe we should give them the same courtesy?

maestrowork
09-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Sometimes websites are built by consultants, and not the agent themselves. Heck, I'd say most agents don't know how to build websites. And they probably don't have the time to spell check everything. Also, you are the writer, not they. And yes, they would even tolerate a typo or two in your mss.

I'd worry more about the site design and content. Do they look professional?

tehuti88
09-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Well, it would bother me. Those, and broken links. I can't count how many times I come across such things on professional sites. I'm sorry but for a professional site I'd expect better. Even if the person who put the site together isn't a writer, they have to put their best foot forward, and repeated typos quickly ruin that impression.

If such is expected of the writer then it should be expected of the writer's representatives too.

maestrowork
09-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Consistent typo (your instead of you're, etc.) is a different matter. If Donald Maass or William Morris has some typos on their sites, I'm not going to stop submitting to them! :)

Phaeal
09-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Agents are also workers with words, and many act as early editors of a work. I'd think they'd want their websites to reflect their competence.

One or two typos, no big deal. But, yes, consistent "you're" for "your" and the like would bother me -- that's no typo.

rosepddle
09-18-2008, 07:38 PM
You found one typo each on three different sites (or, um, ironically, "sits")? LOL! Typos happen on websites. All the time. They shouldn't, but I know at least my site is done through a third party and sometimes an error can happen between what I give her and what gets put up on the screen. If you've only found one, then I can't see that being a big deal. It appears to be human error and not some fundamental lack of understanding of the basics of spelling and grammar.

I know we want to judge agents as harshly as they judge us, but there is a fallacy even in that. No agent will dump a submission just because of one or two typos. It happens, and they acknowledge that. Maybe we should give them the same courtesy?

I'm still planning to query the agents that I found the typos because, hey, maybe they won't judge me so harshly when they run across one on my ms...and as the above will prove, I am prone to one now and again!