Query vs Proposal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShannonC_77

Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to clear something up for myself, when pitching a non-fiction book to an agent, you first send a one page query, then if they ask to see your proposal you send that?

Or in some cases can you just send the proposal itself?

And also, related to this, are almost all proposal's sent by regular postal mail? Or do some agents accept them through e-mail as well?

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I just wanted to clear something up for myself, when pitching a non-fiction book to an agent, you first send a one page query, then if they ask to see your proposal you send that?

Or in some cases can you just send the proposal itself?

And also, related to this, are almost all proposal's sent by regular postal mail? Or do some agents accept them through e-mail as well?

Hi Shannon,
I think most people will tell you to make a list of agents you think will best represent you and your work, and then double-check their guidelines. Part of your confusion is caused by the fact that different agents have different requirements; some will want just a query letter, some the proposal as well. Most legit agents (but not all) have websites that contain submission guidelines. Follow these to the letter and you'll be fine. If not website, check AgentQuery.com, the Bewares and Background section here, and just Google like mad until you have no more ideas! If I found an agent I was interested in but he/she had no guidelines, I'd probably just send a query.
Good luck!
Mark

ShannonC_77

Registered
Reaction score
Perfect! Thanks for the response. I was following the thread by Jenna about Learning The Nonfiction Book Publication Process and thinking I was doing everything right with the proposal.

But then I read elsewhere that the query should not be over a page, which really got me thinking.

This makes more sense now then; I'll likely prepare both and that way I'm set for whatever is called for by that particular agent.

Jill

Registered
Reaction score
Does the same go for biographies? I am currently working on the biography of a classical musician and it is my first attempt at anything of this type. I usually write fiction.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Does the same go for biographies? I am currently working on the biography of a classical musician and it is my first attempt at anything of this type. I usually write fiction.

Hi Jill,
All I can tell you is that I am working on a biography myself and will be using this approach. The only real rule is to follow each agent's guidelines and if they don't have any to address a particular concern, then as long as your approach is professional and courteous I'm sure you'll be fine.
Good luck,
Mark

ShannonC_77

Registered
Reaction score
I think that's exactly the thing to do, Shannon. It better be - it's the way I'm doing it!
Good luck,
Mark

Yah - I'll hope so for you and me both!

Good luck to you as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.