Hello...um....may I ask who's calling?!

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Phone rings at work just now, I pick it up:
"Hello, this is longunpronounceablecompanyname."

All I hear on the other end of the line is - you got it, heavy breathing.

So okay. Either I just got my first obscene phone call or someone's jogging spouse is going to come home angry thinking their SO hung up on them....

ETA: Just got another call and it sounded like the caller was munching on the mother of all sandwiches. "Yef, Rmmmf Pmmmmmffffn, plmmmmmmph." I think I'd rather have the breather...

Last edited:

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
LOL! I love the heavy breathing calls.​

I got a call at work one time and the guy was breathing heavy and said, "Oh damn, babe, I'm getting the best BJ."
I said, "That's great" and he responded, "Mary?" (My name's not Mary)
I started :roll: and he hung up.​

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Now I'm really intrigued. Why is he calling Mary in the first place to let her know that?
Maybe to make her jealous... Or maybe you're questioning this caller to hide the fact that it was YOU who called me. MWAHHHHH!

P.S. Is it a full moon? No, I'm not talking about my ass.

Donkey

Registered
Reaction score
Phone rings at work just now, I pick it up:
"Hello, this is longunpronounceablecompanyname."

All I hear on the other end of the line is - you got it, heavy breathing.

So okay. Either I just got my first obscene phone call or someone's jogging spouse is going to come home angry thinking their SO hung up on them....

ETA: Just got another call and it sounded like the caller was munching on the mother of all sandwiches. "Yef, Rmmmf Pmmmmmffffn, plmmmmmmph." I think I'd rather have the breather...

Probably somebody that you know....has your work phone in their cell phone 'phone book'. Bumped into something the right way and made a pocket call. Happens all the time.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Probably somebody that you know....has your work phone in their cell phone 'phone book'. Bumped into something the right way and made a pocket call. Happens all the time.

Logical explanations are so overrated.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd always assumed that in these times, when it's so easy (in the US, at least) to get the number of the person calling you, the obscene call was a quaint event of a bygone era. You folks are still getting them?

Maryn, who will slap such callers' faces with her kid gloves

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Well, interestingly enough, the heavy breather's number showed up as "private" on the caller ID. But we do get a fair number of those. (Blocked numbers, not heavy breathers.) I figured out afterward from the caller ID that the Sandwich Man was calling from our Houston office. I don't really know anyone there, so I can't give him a hard time about it...

I also got a couple of "Oh, so - you're not Doctor So and So's office, then?" calls today, too. I think we must be one number off some doctor's office somewhere.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I used to work in a lingerie store. Every once in a while I'd have this telephone conversation:

"Good morning, nameoflingeriestore."
<creepy man's voice> "Yeah hi. What styles of ladies' panties do you sell?"
"We sell bikinis, hipsters, highcuts and thongs."
"What's the most popular style?"
"That's a personal choice, no style is most popular."
"Well, what kind of panties are you wearing right now?" <CLICK>

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
So true. I try never to be that boring, but the option was suggesting that it could be Jason from the Halloween movies. I just didn't want to be the boy who cries slasher.

Freddie vs. Jason vs. Godzilla vs. Alien vs. Predator vs. Pagey, who's armed with the staple gun from downstairs.

This is The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny!

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
There's a book in there somewhere, Pagey!

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
I had a caller so upset from his on hold time waiting for service that he began entertaining himself. My guess is that by the time he got to me he lowered the phone so I'd be aware.

Don't you dare ask me how I know what /that/ sounds like. I won't tell you.

Kryianna

Registered
Reaction score
There were two area codes in a place I used to live. A friend had a cell phone with one area code; a doctor's office had the same number, but with the other area code. He'd get calls daily with the caller launching right into their medical problem. It got so bad he finally made the phone provider give him a new number.

I never understood why the phone company would use the same numbers in the different area codes. It was just asking for trouble, IMHO.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Well, interestingly enough, the heavy breather's number showed up as "private" on the caller ID.

Not always. Once I got a few calls like that (heavy breathing, clicking tongue, etc.) from the same caller. The number was right on there. I called back and no one picked up. So I asked a friend from New York to call the number, and some guy with an accent picked up. My friend breathed heavily on the phone and the guy hung up. He never called my phone again.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
There were two area codes in a place I used to live. A friend had a cell phone with one area code; a doctor's office had the same number, but with the other area code. He'd get calls daily with the caller launching right into their medical problem. It got so bad he finally made the phone provider give him a new number.

I never understood why the phone company would use the same numbers in the different area codes. It was just asking for trouble, IMHO.

We had that same problem in one department I used to work in. One manager's number was the same as the Elder Care Center of a hospital a little ways upstate, but a different area code. Once we figured out what was going on, we'd tell callers they needed to dial the same number, different area code next time, then transfer them to the correct number.

Then there was the time my father tried to call a relative in Newark, AR after quite snarkily declaring that he had to "get up and dial the damn number because she--" (My grandmother and his mother) "--can't figure out how to dial a goddamn telephone."
He ended up calling a morgue in Kansas City, MO. My grandmother took the phone away from him and dialed (yes, dialed, this was back when I was little) the correct number. He wasn't happy.