PDA

View Full Version : Google Alert Explanation

TrainofThought
09-17-2008, 07:49 PM
Are google alerts for the specific name you put in for the alert? Does that mean someone is googling that specific name? If you mark "as-it-happens", does that mean at the moment someone googled that specific name? Am I looking too much into the google alerts? Could it be that I'm not grasping the google alert function because I'm hungry, thirsty, etc? This isn't a poll. :D

vixey
09-17-2008, 07:56 PM
I've set up Google Alerts to search out publishing info. For instance, I have "Literary Agency" as one of my tags. Each day, I get an email from GA with news info and blogs that pick up "literary" or "agency". It's helpful to get "breaking news" that way.

Someone else on this forum used it to find her novel. I think she put her name in the tag.

TrainofThought
09-17-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks, Vixey. I thought it could be used to see if anyone is googling your name, but it would show all posts or information for the name. It sounds like google alerts are to receive information on something in particular.

Shadow_Ferret
09-17-2008, 08:05 PM
I have a Google alert for my real name and for Shadow Ferret. It amazes me how many times ferret is used as a verb.

TrainofThought
09-17-2008, 08:13 PM
I have a Google alert for my real name and for Shadow Ferret. It amazes me how many times ferret is used as a verb.Do you have your alert set at "as-it-happens?" Do you get many hits on your real name?

Shadow_Ferret
09-17-2008, 08:21 PM
I'm not sure how I have it set up, but yes, I get a few hits on my real name. Not a lot. I think mostly because my blog address is my real name.

ETA: I have my alerts set to once-a-day. I would imagine that "as it happens" sends an alert each time someone Googles that term set.

vixey
09-17-2008, 08:44 PM
"As it happens" is similar to getting instant email notification when someone else posts in a thread you've posted to here. (It can get annoying.)

Once-a-day I think is better because it compiles a list that you can scroll through. There are short descriptions about your tag so you can decided whether or not to expand the topic and read.