Help identifying creature.

justme

Well butter my biscuit!
Registered
Reaction score
I discovered a strange creature in front of my house. It was in the grass and then crawled into the drainage ditch.

Does anyone know what it is? It looks like a lobster.

Picture049.jpg

Picture050.jpg

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
I'll never forget the day my father came over to my house telling me there are lobsters crossing the road. I live 30 mi from the ocean. I had to explain they were freshwater crayfish.

Richard

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A quick scan lists 51 species of crayfish in the State of Kentucky.

The best way to handle them is with boiling water, butter and garlic, or with a good cajun sauce. Don't forget to suck the heads.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
At the creek behind my childhood home we used to catch those in buckets. And then we put them back again.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if I could eat one of those. And if I saw them cross the road I'd probably freak.
Then again, here in Jersey, I used to jog with turkey vultures not too far from me ... minding their own business but still, one never knows.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
You couldn't eat the crayfish around here. The biggest wouldn't be much bigger than your thumbnail. When your summer lasts 8 weeks and your winter lasts 24, critters don't get much of a chance to grow.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I'm in California - just this weekend I was out hiking and there were a TON of crayfish all along the stream! I poked a big one with a stick and he tried to fight with it a bit. :) I was wondering if they ever came out of the water... question answered!

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
We have these in the pond near my apartment in Chicago. You rarely see them out of the water, but the recent flooding seems to have stirred them up a bit.

justme

Well butter my biscuit!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, crayfish, crawfish, crawdaddy.

I can't tell perspective from that, but it looks really really tiny.

Find some more and have a boil.

It is hard to tell from the picture, but it was bigger than my hand. I'm not sure what the average size is. I can't believe I'd never seen a crawdad before; I must lead a sheltered life.