my kid is bugging me reading wise...

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
Last year I couldn't figure out why my youngest son was having so many problems getting all his "points" in reading. He reads quite a lot, but he was still falling short all year until the last trimester. Come to find out, he's reading well above grade level (I personally think they set the bar too low) and the books on his list are just not appealing to him.

He's in fifth and was told he can read books up to an eleventh grade level. Any suggestion as to books that could challenge him but are still appropriate? I want him to love reading, so I'm leery of him jumping levels and ending up frustrated but he has to stay interested... and he has to pass reading.

He's not real into fantasy, seems to like adventure books which I'm not really up on because they aren't my favorite. He also likes non-fiction, which I'm completely clueless on. He'd love an adventure that he knows actually happened. Any suggestions?

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Take him to the library and bookstore, and let him pick his own books. As far as "appropriate" goes, it's unlikely any adventure books he would pick up would be truly inappropriate for a 10-y-o, ditto with non-fiction.

By the time my kids were that age, they were going to the library every other week and choosing their own books. I didn't guide their reading at all. Now I have a 20-y-o who's reading theological books (whilst studying music) and a 23-y-o who's completing his degree in English lit. :D

But if you want specific suggestions...

(wait for it...)

The Hobbit and LotR. :D

They're fantasy, but also adventure, which is why they appeal to such a wide audience.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Shadow........The way they work it is there's a specific test for each book on the list. If the book is not on the list the kids write a book report rather than take a prefab test on the computer. If the book is on the list there is a preset amount of points but for a book report the teacher decides the points earned.

Either way, he's got to read. It's easier if his stays on the list but I think writing book reports teaches him way more than filling out a questionnaire on the computer.

Yeshanu.... I suggested Hobbit, but he looked at me like I had lobsters crawling out my ears. We go to the book store all the time.... but I'm so clueless on adventure books, I have no idea what to suggest for him and he stands there wanting me to help him pick.

Last edited:

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Some more specifics, since my early reading is coming back to me:

The Kon-Tiki Expedition
The Swiss Family Robinson
Lost in the Barrens
The Egypt Game

I'll be back if I think up more.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
We went by our son's list and we picked up "Watership Down," "Gulliver's Travels," "Swiss Family Robinson," "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court," "Around the World in 80 Days," "Fahrenheit 451," "Treasure Island," "War of the Worlds,' and several Jack London books like "Call of the Wild," and "White Fang."

They all ended up sitting on my bookshelf.

But most books fall within the 7th and 8th grade reading level anyway.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Swiss Family Robinson was one of my favorites as a child. I think I might still have my old copy of it. He read the Jack London books and War of the Worlds. He asked for Invisible Man, I should go get that one. Lost in the Barrens is one I've never heard of but looks good.

I'm not worried about grade level so much as keeping his enthusiasm. School sometimes seems to squelch love of reading.

Thanks guys, I'm writing these down. Today is a short school day and we're going to Barnes and Noble. I convinced him to read the Potter books (only took me a year) but he's blowing through them faster than I could. Even when he gets his points he has to continue reading and filling out his reading log, so I need books!! :D

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I would also suggest the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. The first one is called The Lightening Thief- excellent series- a lot of action adventure with a twist of greek mythology thrown in- trust me- he'll love it!

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
If he likes non-fic and adventure you might consider Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer, which chronicles an ill-fated ascent of Mt. Everest.

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing is about a legendary 1912 Antarctic expedition.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DEFINITELY "Little Brother" by Cory Doctorow. This book is a YA modern adventure, and it is so the bomb. There is one scene of adult content that I think the average ten year old would skip over.
And DEFINITELY 'Where the Red Fern Grows.' I haven't read it probably 15 years and I still get chills thinking about it. At some point in school, my entire class was obsessed with this book. It's very much a 'boy' adventure book, but guaranteed to make the toughest tough guy cry.
When I was that age (and an advanced reader) I was really into Jurassic Park, The Lost World, and Congo, by Michael Crichton. There's nothing too inappropriate in these.
"The Power of One" by Bryce Courtenay is an amazing historical coming-of-age story set South Africa. Its an AMAZING book and I think it would really appeal to a little boy. It teeters somewhere between YA and adult. There is some fighting in it, but nothing too bad. If someone gave it to me in fifth grade, I would have loved it until it fell apart.
Robert Heinlein wrote a handful of young adult books that are heavy on space adventure.
A Wrinkle in Time and assorted sequels, by Madeleine L'Engle are good intellectual adventures for smartypants kids. Advanced MG
The Westing Game, by Ellen Raskin-high MG
Hoot, by Carl Hiaasen is a smart YA eco-adventure
Lord of the Flies, by William Golding
some survival-type adventure for kids:
Anything by Gary Paulsen, especially 'Hatchet' is totally riveting MG/YA.
My Side of the Mountain, and assorted sequels Jean Craighead George-advanced MG
The Cay, by Theodore Taylor-MG

Oh my gosh! Making this list makes me want to go back and reread all these books I have tender memories of! I must go to the library! I hope your son finds lots of good books to hook him on a lifetime of reading.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my gosh! Making this list makes me want to go back and reread all these books I have tender memories of! I must go to the library! I hope your son finds lots of good books to hook him on a lifetime of reading.

:roll:

I just got back from the library. The Children's section of the library. :D

I was going to make a comprehensive list of some books that I've read that might suit, but SF and Kitty have done it for me. A few I can think of that they haven't listed:

The Incredible Journey
The Dark is Rising (series, but the titular novel is the best, IMO)
Bridge to Terebithia
The Outsiders (a bit of a mature theme--you might want to look at it first)
The Sword in the Stone
Artemis Fowl
Holes
Call it Courage
The Black Stallion (see note for The Dark is Rising)
The Golden Compass (again, you might want to read this one first)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, this is like revisiting our son's bookcase before he ransacked it. A few more possibilities to add:

Adams: (Another vote for Watership Down.)

Bakker, Robert T.: Raptor Red. A fictionalization of the life of a dinosaur. I read it aloud to my kids; we all liked it. Each kid later bought his/her own copy.

Jacques, Brian: Redwall series. Animals that aren’t cute but are believable soldiers fighting for a cause, in one adventure after another. Very popular with boys of the right age. Our son read and reread every one.

Paulsen, Gary: Hatchet; Brian’s Winter; The River. Three survivalist books about an urban boy struggling alone in the Canadian wilderness after a plane crash. The more able he becomes, the less interesting the story, but still worthwhile.

Sleator, William: House of Stairs; Spirit House; Dangerous Wishes. Surreal, not too scary--this guy’s good if you like the type. House of Stairs was great.

Sebestyen, Ouida: The Girl in the Box. One of our favorite mystery/suspense books, and the only young-adult book I ever read where the ending was totally unexpected, and quite dark, in a good way.

Twain: (Another vote for Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court--and Tom Sawyer, too.)

Beginning Sci-Fi:
Asimov, Isaac: Fantastic Voyage; I, Robot
Clarke, Arthur C.: 2001: A Space Odyssey; 2010: Odyssey 2; 2061; 3001
Zahn, Timothy (Star Wars series is multi-authored, but our son only likes Zahn’s): Heir to the Empire; Dark Force Rising; The Last Command
Verne, Jules: Journey to the Center of the Earth

Age-appropriate mystery:
Tony Hillerman's series set in the American Southwest include or feature Native Americans and are noted for being worthy of adults yet relatively free of sex and violence.

Maryn, thinking your son is getting some great recommendations here

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I second or third or fourth or whatever Where the Red Fern Grows.

Sounds like your kid has the same general interests I did when I was his age...

Survive the Savage Sea is the story of a family whose sailboat is sunk by some whales. They survive on a couple of little liferafts for like 2 months!

Incident at Hawk's Hill is based on a true story of a boy who lives with a badger for a while! (Warning: tearjerker)

Also there's Hatchet (I hate this book but might be up your son's alley) and Island of the Blue Dolphins. If he likes animals and icky stuff he should try James Herriot - a vet in the English countryside.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I was his age and wanted adventure, I tended to raid the biographies and the historical fictions.

Sam Houston (along with the settling of Texas)
Davy Crockett (and anyone associated with the Alamo)
Harriet Tubman (and the Underground Railroad)

These were some of my favorites.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Bakker, Robert T.: Raptor Red. A fictionalization of the life of a dinosaur. I read it aloud to my kids; we all liked it. Each kid later bought his/her own copy.
I enjoyed this one a lot. Robert Bakker is a REAL paleontologiest and the story features many of his theories.