PDA

View Full Version : I need a word...

chevbrock
09-17-2008, 05:06 PM
That is not "Agnostic".

My character has more of an "Oprah" belief that the universe is its own being, that everything affects everything else and everyone's thoughts and actions impact on everything else.

Thanks in advance.

MelancholyMan
09-17-2008, 05:33 PM
How about Oprahism?

Seriously, take a look at the Gaia Hypothesis on wikipedia. One of the headings under this entry is Strong Gaia and may be what you're looking for. Various eastern religions also take this world view. It is certainly not new.

Woodsie
09-17-2008, 05:36 PM
see if intangics works.

chevbrock
09-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks all! :)

SHBueche
09-17-2008, 06:48 PM
I prefer to use "spiritual" or Dog is my God!

ideagirl
09-17-2008, 07:32 PM
That is not "Agnostic".
My character has more of an "Oprah" belief that the universe is its own being, that everything affects everything else and everyone's thoughts and actions impact on everything else.

I don't know that there's a single word for that. There are a lot of people who have beliefs similar to that, but they come from a huge range of belief systems--Buddhist, New Age, Pagan, pantheists, spiritual, "spiritual but not religious," and plenty of other things. So you may be better off just describing her (his?) beliefs, as you did there. My guess is that even if there is a word that sums up this worldview, it's a word known only to people with PhDs in philosophy or related fields... so, for your more general reader, describing the beliefs is best.

Shadow_Ferret
09-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Isn't that part of the whole belief of a universal consciousness?

Donkey
09-17-2008, 08:40 PM
In Arkansas, they have a name for the folks who come there looking for metaphysically related quartz crystals..........Healie Feelies.

I have absolutely no good excuse for sticking this in here. :D

Now, back to your regular programming.......

MelancholyMan
09-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Didn't Yoda talk about this? (Seriously, I think George Lucas believes in the Force.)

emelle
09-19-2008, 01:38 AM
Pantheism is probably the best single description - of the naturalistic variety as theorised by Spinoza. Wiki provides details. Holism is another possibility as in 'she held holistic beliefs about the universe', or something.

FinbarReilly
09-19-2008, 02:25 AM
It should be noted that almost every system of belief also believes in some form of karma. A good generic word would be "spiritual", to signify the belief in something without looking at the rules involved beyond karma ("religious" involves the rules, such as someone with a strong belief in the Ten Commandments).

"Agnostic" would be the worst word you could have used; it is the doubt that any god exists...

FR

JoNightshade
09-19-2008, 02:28 AM
I would just say 'karmic.'

chevbrock
09-21-2008, 04:27 PM
It may not seem like it, but all of this has helped to clear it up for me! Many thanks to all.

j.s.cutler
09-24-2008, 03:44 AM
Sounds like a Unitarian to me :)

Izunya
09-24-2008, 04:25 AM
Sounds like a Unitarian to me :)

j.s. beat me to it; I was going to say "Universalist." Unitarians have no creed, but a lot of us seem to have an "everyone affects everyone" kind of view.

Izunya