PDA

View Full Version : The Wii Thread

JLCwrites
09-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Just played Rayman and got a cramp trying to keep the rabbits from getting out of their outhouses. I am looking forward to my arms aching tomorrow morning. I hope it doesn't interfere with typing!

RLB
09-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Last week I Wii boxed and was sore for days. I laid the smackdown on that guy though.

My husband has been making noises about getting WiiFit. I'm scared it'd kill me.

JLCwrites
09-17-2008, 10:16 AM
I plan to get WiiFit. It will help to keep me in shape when the rainy season starts. :) I am sure I will suffer some consequences!

RLB
09-17-2008, 10:19 AM
I haven't played it yet, but I've heard it's brutal. Not to mention, it weighs you and does your BMI and gives you your WiiFit "age." I'm scared it'll tell me I'm in great shape for a 90 year old and I'll do violence to the $400 game system...

ETA Hey when did this become a poll?

Matera the Mad
09-17-2008, 10:22 AM
i like eggplant

katiemac
09-17-2008, 10:22 AM
I haven't played it yet, but I've heard it's brutal. Not to mention, it weighs you and does your BMI and gives you your WiiFit "age." I'm scared it'll tell me I'm in great shape for a 90 year old and I'll do violence to the $400 game system...

ETA Hey when did this become a poll?

I've read a couple reviews on the WiiFit that have said not to put too much emphasis on the BMI index and age. Apparently the main board is a little sensitive. FYI.

JLCwrites
09-17-2008, 10:23 AM
I read a few reviews and they said to skip the BMI part because it isn't accurate. I'd like to skip the weight part too. :) I am looking forward to trying out the yoga program. That should be cool.

Bmwhtly
09-17-2008, 12:48 PM
got a cramp trying to keep the rabbits from getting out of their outhouses.I think this belongs in Erotica.

JimmyB27
09-17-2008, 01:29 PM
BMI is a silly measure anyway, imho. If you follow BMI, most professional rugby players, for example, are horribly overweight.

Shadow_Ferret
09-17-2008, 04:11 PM
I'm scared it'll tell me I'm in great shape for a 90 year old and I'll do violence to the $400 game system...
$400? You got ripped off. You should be paying that for the other 2 systems, not a Wii.

BMI is a silly measure anyway, imho. If you follow BMI, most professional rugby players, for example, are horribly overweight.
I don't understand how a game can measure it. Don't trained professionals use calipers or one of those dunk tanks to measure it accurately?

JimmyB27
09-17-2008, 04:16 PM
I don't understand how a game can measure it. Don't trained professionals use calipers or one of those dunk tanks to measure it accurately?
Well BMI is just weight/height2*, so I guess you tell it how tall you are and then it measures your weight and does the calculation.
And that's why BMI is so daft - it doesn't take into account the amount of fat or muscle you have. And since muscle weighs more than fat, if you have a lot of muscle and very little fat, you have a very bad BMI.
*ETA - for your silly, outdated imperial measurements, it's not quite this simple. But with the sensible, practical metric system, it is.

Shadow_Ferret
09-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Well BMI is just weight/height2*, so I guess you tell it how tall you are and then it measures your weight and does the calculation.
And that's why BMI is so daft - it doesn't take into account the amount of fat or muscle you have. And since muscle weighs more than fat, if you have a lot of muscle and very little fat, you have a very bad BMI.
*ETA - for your silly, outdated imperial measurements, it's not quite this simple. But with the sensible, practical metric system, it is.
I always understood it as body mass and true BMI does take muscle, which is denser than fat, into account. If done correctly that's how you come up with body builders and other athlete's as having BMIs of 2 or 3%.

Just taking a height and weight measurment, like those stupid Insurance charts, is pure nonsense. That's why it needs to be done by experts who use the calipers and sometimes use the dunk tank.

lakotagirl
09-17-2008, 06:12 PM
I love Wii Fit. I rock at Hoola Hoops. I love all the balance "games". One thing to note:

Since getting Wii Fit and playing balance games daily (as well as other games) - I have noticed a difference. While it would never relace a personal trainer, who can afford to have one come to their house everyday?

When I first started, it ran me through some of the games and determined my "Fit Age" to be 52 (I am 52). My fit age is now under 30.

Oh yeah - my grandson lets me be Darth Vader when he comes for the weekend and brings "StarWars Legos". I love being Darth Vader!

MsK
09-17-2008, 06:39 PM
Thus far, I've stuck to the Wii Sports.
Funny, my 5 year old niece was visiting and played Wii Bowling for the first time. I don't remember her score exactly, but it was in the higher 100's- her first time bowling. lol

You might need some Sports Creme for that arm, Turkey. :)

JLCwrites
09-17-2008, 07:28 PM
I love Wii Fit. I rock at Hoola Hoops. I love all the balance "games". One thing to note:

Since getting Wii Fit and playing balance games daily (as well as other games) - I have noticed a difference. While it would never relace a personal trainer, who can afford to have one come to their house everyday?

When I first started, it ran me through some of the games and determined my "Fit Age" to be 52 (I am 52). My fit age is now under 30.

Oh yeah - my grandson lets me be Darth Vader when he comes for the weekend and brings "StarWars Legos". I love being Darth Vader! That's good news about the Fit! I need to get this bod back in working order! StarWars Legos will be our next purchase. :)

You might need some Sports Creme for that arm, Turkey. :) *Writes Bengay on her shopping list*

auntybug
09-19-2008, 04:23 AM
I have a Wii fit. Here's a few key things...

1) It yells at you when you decide to drink & not work out. It asks why you put on a pound...

2) The man trainer needs to take his shirt off & cut his ponytail off.

3) When I skip a day... it gives me the chick trainer to punish me.

Other than that...it's kinda fun... my daughter will do it instead of games :D

Devil Ledbetter
09-19-2008, 04:36 AM
I have the cutest Wii Mii. He looks just like Eddie Vedder.

Guitar Hero is my favorite Wii game. I also have Wii fit, but usually just walk or skate for my workout.